Android VS iOS The Truth about Apple and Google's OS **Complete Series**

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

mcord11758

Sep 6, 2010
Very informative video but on the youtube feedback you have a viewer saying you are wrong when you said downloading stops if you watch a youtube video. Not sure if they are right but if they are maybe need to correct that, or correct them if they are wrong.

I think what you have is very good and hope to see more on youtube.

It's so much better to see differences in action rather than read through pages of fans from either side claiming things like they do on various sites and forums, very informative.

Dave

Sent from my LG P920 using Tapatalk

He is not wrong. The example I use, owning both as well is the browser. If I enter a large content web page with slow data, then recieve an email and view it, it does not matter how long I am away from the browser when I come back it is still loading. Other apps stop running completely when not in the foreground. With the browser example it appears that once you are out of the app for a couple of seconds it stops downloading. So it is not exactly where you left it but it never completes opening the web page till you come back to it. There are some apps that fully allow multi tasking, such as yahoo radio that will run in background. allot of this in my opinion is done behind the scenes in the os to make things appear to be moving faster than they really are.

Last edited:

Sinful Animosity

Jun 14, 2011
Spring Hill fl
the reality? lol are you a software engineer or something to make such bold statement? I think you're just silly, but it's ok if you like your buggy phone just don't think that's "better" usually apple users are more educated than android users and this video is proof, but proof of that lol, the way this is developing google will end up with a flying, shining invisible phone... that crashes when you need it to do a simple task, meanwhile apple will still be the best...

That guy is too funny. Apple users are more educated than us I guess.

votinh

Jul 6, 2011
Pictures worth a thousand words. Video is priceless.
OP, great work!

Suggestion: keep stock vs. stock to be fair in comparison since we all know Android custom ROMs go far beyond.

alex2792

Jun 6, 2010
Customizing your icons,replacement launchers and widgets don't matter when the phone can't smoothly respond to the touch and apps look butt ugly compared to iOS. Wow, I can have live wallpapers,but the phone still lags so what difference does it make? My phone is a tool, I don't want to waste hours of my time rooting and flashing roms just to make the phone usable. I won't even get into tablets where Android is 5 years behind iOS.

apollooff320

Jun 21, 2007
Toledo
^ sure buddy, we won't feed you in here.

Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk

Well he is telling the truth if you like it or not. I was surprised to see my newly purchased transformer still lags with live wall papers. It's true that android apps look like poop compared to their iOS counterparts. Android on Tablets has a long way to go.

Wicked4u2c

Dec 24, 2010
He is not wrong. The example I use, owning both as well is the browser. If I enter a large content web page with slow data, then recieve an email and view it, it does not matter how long I am away from the browser when I come back it is still loading. Other apps stop running completely when not in the foreground. With the browser example it appears that once you are out of the app for a couple of seconds it stops downloading. So it is not exactly where you left it but it never completes opening the web page till you come back to it. There are some apps that fully allow multi tasking, such as yahoo radio that will run in background. allot of this in my opinion is done behind the scenes in the os to make things appear to be moving faster than they really are.

Pictures worth a thousand words. Video is priceless.
OP, great work!

Suggestion: keep stock vs. stock to be fair in comparison since we all know Android custom ROMs go far beyond.

The example videos shown are 100% stock, the phone shown at the beginning is current and that's just rooted nothing crazy with custom icons.

qeub1990

Mar 13, 2012
very informative video, keep it up. hope you could finish the series, really looking forward to it. thanks:D

Infekxion

Jun 7, 2011
O'Fallon
Keep the series going so I can slam this in "iphanboys" face, not to prove superiority, just to prove a point. My opinion the only thing that iphone has better is accessories. I like that you chose to do your review with a Samsung product also. Well i guess it was two Samsung products. (see what I did there?)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I957 using xda premium

Wicked4u2c

Dec 24, 2010
Well he is telling the truth if you like it or not. I was surprised to see my newly purchased transformer still lags with live wall papers. It's true that android apps look like poop compared to their iOS counterparts. Android on Tablets has a long way to go.

I think it's pretty amazing that Android can work on so many devices. When you think about how many different types of processors, ram, memory, screen sizes etc exist and all of the millions of possible combinations. I would say it runs magnificent, Apple just has to worry about a handful of combinations it would be ridiculous if they couldn't get that right (Apple still has issues). Like I said on my video, people always scrutinize Android but does iOS run live wallpapers with widgets and live feeds (social networks) at once? Can iOS even handle it? iOS is nothing but a 4x5 grid, that's it! When iOS can do everything Android can on a similar level without any "lag" then I will say the iPhone is better. Until then, it's still a limited device that can't do everything Android can.

mcord11758

Sep 6, 2010
would mind telling what iOS version your Iphone running with?

Not sure that matters much but he said the phone was a 4s I believe so some itteration of 5, which sucks badly by the way. Battery life for the iPhone is about 5 hours of moderate use now

Sent from my HTC Flyer P510e using xda premium

mistermentality

Sep 13, 2010
Pontypridd
www.google.com
Customizing your icons,replacement launchers and widgets don't matter when the phone can't smoothly respond to the touch and apps look butt ugly compared to iOS. Wow, I can have live wallpapers,but the phone still lags so what difference does it make? My phone is a tool, I don't want to waste hours of my time rooting and flashing roms just to make the phone usable. I won't even get into tablets where Android is 5 years behind iOS.

I shouldn't really feed trolls but here goes....

First off when ios gets these things you'll be praising them but until then my android phone responds fine to touch. Android devices can have lag, not because they are inferior but because they properly multitask whereas ios prioritises touch events and doesn't fully multitask.

Second of all if you think ics is five years behind ios you really don't know much about the world other than what apple tell you as its the other way round.

And third, you don't have to flash roms to have a quick phone. In case you don't know this wp7 is as quick as ios and a stock nexus with widgets in use at the time beat a stock wp7 phone recently so if as you claim android is soooo slow it should have lost.

And fourth....please do try utilising facts in your regular sessions of android bashing.

Dave

mistermentality

Sep 13, 2010
Pontypridd
www.google.com

Could you give an example of an ios app whose android version look "like poop" in comparison?

Also could you mention what live wallpaper you use that's lagging? The transformer is known to have a number of issues which the manufacturers claim are driver related and therefore is not a good example but I would be happy to check said wallpaper on my less powerful phone to see if it lags.

Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    So I was going to do a 6 part mini series but due to time things are on hold. However, I decided to at least get things rolling. Depending on the feedback I get I will either complete or scrap the project. Anyhow, next time this argument comes around Android VS iOS just post this video. Believe me, this was just the beginning of something really big!

Part 1

Part 2

Part 3

Part 4

Part 5

**BONUS FAQ SESSION**

Bump for Part 5 and final episode, I appreciate all of the positive feedback you guys gave and was the reason why I decided to finish the series. Thanks again to XDA community and the awesome (most of them) members that it has. :D Please share these videos with everyone!
    Ok, I'll admit I didn't read the whole thing yet, but my hands are begging to start writing my take on this matter:

iPhones are shiny, and people have been brain-washed to believe they are the superior product without questioning whether this is true or not...

My parents are definitely above average when using computers, but when it comes to phones they've never had anything fancier than one of those old nokias that could just make calls and perhaps text...

I first switched my mum to a "futuristic" touchscreen phone, that she ended up loving! now, before she decided of her own volition to buy a Samsung Galaxy S, I had her try a relative's iPhone to see if she would prefer it over android... I asked her to switch on the wifi... let's just say I had to cut the quest short due to her eyes turning red with rage...
    Then she decided to open her own website (that I created) on safari that has a nice flash banner at the top, and the browser displayed a funny icon were that was supposed to be...
    She gave up and vowed never to use a touchscreen device ever again... then I showed her android... well the rest of it should be clear by now! :D

It was my mum that convinced my dad to switch to android :eek:

Well to keep this short, they now do everything with it, with ease and definitely without hating their phones... they even install new apps on their own (one day, out of the blue, I received a Viber call from my dad :-| )

Here's my list of what I believe people are missing out by having an iphone:

• Can't save files on it, everything has to be done either online or via iTunes (I shan't get started on that, I could never end...) It even lacks a microSD slot... even my microwave has a microSD slot, nowadays! (not really, just to make a point)
    • No swappable battery... I currently have an SGS2 with 2 batteries and a dock to charge both at the same time... so I can go for more than a day without worrying my battery will die!
    • No customisation whatsoever - it being different ringtones for every app, different launchers or preferred app to do tasks with like different dialer, sms, and especially the KEYBOARD!!! e.g.: I live in London and I'm on Three, the only company to provide a skype service that uses normal phone calls in Europe (I think Sprint does it over in the U.S.)! When I dial a number that isn't local, "skype on 3" pops out and asks me if I want to call using that instead... since I pay for a skype subscription for unlimited calls to all landlines in europe for £4 a month, I'd say it's well worth it!
    • No choice of phones: U either get the new iPhone, the slightly-older-with-no-real-improvement iPhone, and a yet older one... what if i want a physical keyboard? what if i want a bigger screen? what if I don't want to pay and absurd amount of money for a phone with technology that doesn't really warrant the price tag it has?
      With Android one has choice! want small? Sony Ericsson X-10 mini... want it with keyboard? X-10 mini pro! want a high end device with higher specs than the iPhone that still costs £100 less? Samsung Galaxy S3 or HTC One X... want something you can draw on? Samsung Galaxy Note! u get my point, right? (same goes for tablets... Asus EEE Pas Transformer serie and Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1)
    • No google integration... For instance, there is a gmail app for iPhone, but quite frankly it's just horrible... android has a BB messenger or apple's iMessage (or whatever it's called) too, it's called Google Talk! and it works even better, considering that u can use it on your computer IN A BROWSER just by going into your gmail! everything else just can't compare to that!
    • True, the iPhone's software design guideline have always been better, but now with ICS, android has caught up and surpassed! I mean, the iPhone's app design is still the same after years, at least Google make an effort to change! aaaanddd they don't try and make small things like "folders" sound like a magical revolution in your life!
    • No widgets! seriously?
    • and all this without having to jailbreak the phone!

I could go on, but by now I've lost sensitivity on the tips of my fingers... I guess I got quite carried away, but I'm passionate about these things! :cool:
    In my opinion iOS is better than android. I m a person who loves pretty things and everytime I look on my android i get sick of the design. Ok you can customize everything but you will never reach the design level of iOS.
    So my next mobile phone will be clearly an iphone.

There's a button on all android phones that'll make it look like iphone. It's called all apps. :p

Sent from my HTC Sensation XE with Beats Audio Z715e using xda premium
    Preferring Dolphin browser to Safari, do most really care? There's numerous other examples in the video.

Lack of ability to select your opener app does affect everyone, as do the inconsistency of the back button, lack of multitasking, increased number of steps to share data between apps, and "numerous other examples in the video" ;)

IPhone caters to the user, android gives you the option to cater to yourself which would be awesome but it requires a lot of searching and messing around.
    You forgot, in this browser metaphor, that both cater to the user. It's just that one gives the additional option of self-catering, while the other just goes "don't like our catering? deal with it or gtfo."

(Unless, of course, you aren't actually talking about the video content at all and are just back to your usual hijack-trolling, in which case gtfo.)

sent from my Terran Command Center.