Android Wear and iOS connectivity

Does iOS and Android Wear compatibility interest you?

• No. Not at all.

Votes: 41 8.9%
  • Only if/when Android Wear officialy supports iOS.

Votes: 48 10.4%
  • Yes even through custom apps, but i won't JB/root.

Votes: 149 32.3%
  • I want this! I will do JB/root/whatever it takes!

Votes: 223 48.4%

• Total voters
Search This thread

gidi

May 29, 2006
Hi all.

I am starting this thread so that to discuss/investigate the compatibility options between iOS and Android Wear.

The Apple watch is around the corner after all, but there are many of us Apple fans (not fanboys) that do not like it.
It simply is not enough, especially if the inexcusable delays are taken into consideration.
It is ugly, girly (personal opinion), lacking functionality and most of all it's UI seems so not Apple like.

I know there are many iPhone users who would love to have an Android Wear watch that actually works with their phones.
There are rumours that Google will eventually officialy support iOS but until then there are at least 4 devs who (claim to) have managed the impossible.

XDA members @MohammadAG, @iAppleDev and @ali.almahdi, as well as a dev who goes by Twitter name @shiitakeo.

Of these, @shiitakeo and @iAppleDev have uploaded alpha versions of the required .apk that should run on the watch side.

It is my understanding that all solutions do not require a JB iPhone and do not require a rooted Gear Watch.

On the iPhone side installation of an app (like LightBlue or BLE utility) that exposes notifications to ANCS is required.

I ask that all who have access to both an iPhone and an Android Wear watch and want to participate in this thread that they share their test conclusions here.

We need beta testers to confirm:

1) What configuration/solution you are using.
2) What works
3) What doesn't work

What we know is that all these alpha solutions aim at allowing iOS notifications to be transfered via BLE to the Wear watch.

Added functionality like Google Now or even Siri on the watch remains a dream for the time being, and would most certainly require a JB iPhone.

It would be great if a dev (one of the above mentioned or any other interested in this) could provide more info about his/her solution, like ETA, bug list, functionality, soon to come and related stuff.

Thank you all in advance.

iAppleDev

Jan 8, 2012
Shiitakeo APK is working sweet Thx and is where I got most of the code to make mine. He has made a lot of very sweet apps and is working on it hard:)
I will be still working on this as well.
So far you get most all notifications and there are some quirks but seems to be working good so far. You can't see all text in some notifications, can't reply, respond, notifications sometimes get removed proper from watch if removed from phone, no networking or Siri yet.

gidi

May 29, 2006
@iAppleDev Do incoming calls on the iPhone create a notification on the watch?
Does the name show up?

Networking would be great to have!
Siri or Google Voice or both would be perfect!

Thank you for your feedback and keep up the good work!

Last edited:

iAppleDev

Jan 8, 2012
Yes incoming call show name on watch and missed called too

---------- Post added at 06:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:09 PM ----------

Wear'Siri :)

iAppleDev

Jan 8, 2012
Any guide for follow? I have android phone, iPhone, Moto 360, and even pebble. Both Mac and pc are on the table too.

Down load the alpha apk wear_ios https://twitter.com/shiitakeo/status/575713237091516416

Install android SDK on your computer https://developer.android.com/sdk/installing/index.html?pkg=tools

Use adb to install the alpha apk. http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=xdR4VVHHU-8

Download LightBlue - Bluetooth Low Energy by Punch Through
https://appsto.re/ca/o2AoH.i

Open settings on both the watch and the iPhone and click forget Bluetooth device for iPhone and watch for both in both.

Open light blue on iPhone make an blank peripheral don't add anything then check the box to turn it on.

Open wear_ios on the watch and wait for them to auto connect then keep waiting till it asked for a code to pair iPhone, enter the code with iPhone and wait until it finishes connecting. ;)

Last edited:

jcsmart

Mar 30, 2007
Hong Kong
Run through all the step and done in windows environment.

Successfully push the APK into my Moto360.

Run the apk in wear, follow the on screen instruction.... then a random colour screen appear..... then pairing with iPhone 6+.... input the passcode of bluetooth, random colour screen appear again..... swipe the screen back to home.

WORKING!!!!!!

Great thank to all the programmer here and other helper, especially iAppleDev!!!!!!!!!!!!!

shiitakeo

Mar 13, 2015
[email protected]
twitter.com
Run through all the step and done in windows environment.

Successfully push the APK into my Moto360.

Run the apk in wear, follow the on screen instruction.... then a random colour screen appear..... then pairing with iPhone 6+.... input the passcode of bluetooth, random colour screen appear again..... swipe the screen back to home.

WORKING!!!!!!

Great thank to all the programmer here and other helper, especially iAppleDev!!!!!!!!!!!!!

thank you test on your moto.
and you enjoyed party light! lol

But seem to be misunderstanding, the app is developed by me :eek::eek:
I developed this app, inspired by @MohammadAG's video.

How about connection?
several tester and @MohammadAG reported, moto360's connection is unstable.

please tell me if you have any trouble.

thank you.

---------- Post added at 05:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:26 PM ----------

check this video, how to use the app.

but I can't post the outside link.
please search at youtube.
vidoeo's title: alpha release: android wear works with iphone
video id: cIYe6ExIjrQ

didino

Jun 6, 2007

How about connection?

thank you.

---------- Post added at 05:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:26 PM ----------

thx shiitakeo i'm testing on moto360 and i can confirm connection is unstable,
if u need some test contact me

swyner

Dec 30, 2009
Milton
Hey all. Awesome work here. One question. How do you push the apk to Moto 360 since it doesn't have a direct USB port? Do I have to do that hack and take off the bottom strap to access the pins?

swyner

Dec 30, 2009
Milton
Awesome. Sorry about that I just followed the video and worked like a charm. All good so far on Moto 360 but obviously will be random disconnects as others have seen.
Thanks again to the awesome devs!!!!!!

gidi

May 29, 2006

How about connection?

thank you.

@shiitakeo Thnank you for participating in this thread. And of course thank you for your awesome software.
Is there any chance that we can have networking/Google Now/Siri on an Android Wear watch when connected to an iPhone?

I guess that would require a JB iPhone and a tweak running iPhoneside. But it would be AWESOME!
So far I have see. That the Moto 360 is rather unstable, where as the G watch R works better with your solution. Is that correct? Which watch would you recommend?

My personal preference base on looks is the Moto 360, but if it does not really work with the iPhone then I may have to change my mind.

Again, thank you for your great work!

automan000

Nov 2, 2014
Software has a bug

Thank you very much for your software.But I think i find a problem. My Moto 360 is running android 5.0.2. After connecingt my 360 to my iphone, the screen won't swipe back to home automatically and the screen shows disconnected. Fortunately ,notifications are transfered correctly.

gidi

May 29, 2006
Awesome. Sorry about that I just followed the video and worked like a charm. All good so far on Moto 360 but obviously will be random disconnects as others have seen.
Thanks again to the awesome devs!!!!!!

@swyner my man, please share your observations regarding the iOS and Moto 360 combination.
What about the disconnects?

swyner

Dec 30, 2009
Milton
I don't have any issues with disconnecting yet. I have only used it for a bit but all notifications work awesome. I will do more testing over the weekend. I had only heard that some had connection drops but like I said short time I have used it it's been stable.

The other person that posted it shows "disconnected" that is the network and not the Bluetooth connection. NOTHING will work that requires an Internet connection like Google now, weather etc. I have the same android Wear version as you and what you describe is what we are limited to now.

gidi

May 29, 2006
I don't have any issues with disconnecting yet. I have only used it for a bit but all notifications work awesome. I will do more testing over the weekend. I had only heard that some had connection drops but like I said short time I have used it it's been stable.

The other person that posted it shows "disconnected" that is the network and not the Bluetooth connection. NOTHING will work that requires an Internet connection like Google now, weather etc. I have the same android Wear version as you and what you describe is what we are limited to now.

Thank you! I am about to purchase a Moto 360. I have always loved that watch but still preferred my iPhone over it. Until now, that is. Hopefully @shiitakeo and the other devs will further improve their solution!

iAppleDev

Jan 8, 2012
@shiitakeo Thnank you for participating in this thread. And of course thank you for your awesome software.

Is there any chance that we can have networking/Google Now/Siri on an Android Wear watch when connected to an iPhone?

I guess that would require a JB iPhone and a tweak running iPhoneside. But it would be AWESOME!

So far I have see. That the Moto 360 is rather unstable, where as the G watch R works better with your solution. Is that correct? Which watch would you recommend?

My personal preference base on looks is the Moto 360, but if it does not really work with the iPhone then I may have to change my mind.

Again, thank you for your great work!

For Siri or Google now and voice commands from watch an Jailbreak app probably is required same like pebble watch with Siri pebble and Smartwatch+ apps. But it might be possible with out when Google releases there iOS app in the App Store:)

---------- Post added at 05:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:42 PM ----------

If your having disconnect issues try reset the watch to factory then install only the alpha from @shiitakeo https://twitter.com/shiitakeo/status/575713237091516416 and try again you can't be using another ancs.APK on the watch just @shiitakeo apk :)

Last edited:
Reactions: violatrice050

gidi

May 29, 2006
For Siri or Google now and voice commands from watch an Jailbreak app probably is required same like pebble watch with Siri pebble and Smartwatch+ apps. But it might be possible with out when Google releases there iOS app in the App Store:)

---------- Post added at 05:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:42 PM ----------

If your having disconnect issues try reset the watch to factory then install only the alpha from @shiitakeo https://twitter.com/shiitakeo/status/575713237091516416 and try again you can't be using another ancs.APK on the watch just @shiitakeo apk :)

Can it be connected to both Android and iPhone at the same time?

Reactions: violatrice050

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Custom Watchmaker Faces while using Android Wear for iOS

Technically if you can get the premium APK, you can have 4 watchfaces (2 each) to choose from.

Rant 1: If you haven't already updated to the latest firmware and Android Wear (on the watch) DO IT NOW! Too many people have been reporting problems with using the older versions, and that's the only reason Google said older watches were incompatible, even though they aren't.

Rant 2: If you're using a Moto 360, I don't think it's possible to use ADB without breaking your bluetooth connection to the iPhone. Make a USB cable or buy a better watch. I know Moto 360 is dirt cheap and looks nice, but hardware-wise it's the black sheep of all Android Wear. Also, shame on Motorola for making the 360 v2 use an LCD screen again.

Prerequisite: Get ADB and universal ADB drivers

Getting Watchmaker ready
    -Obtain Watchmaker APK or Watchmaker Premium APK. I will not say how.
    -Append a .zip to the end of the APK file (e.g. watchmaker.apk.zip)
    -Extract the res/raw/android_wear_micro_apk.apk file. This is the one that goes into the watch.
    -Append a .zip to the end of the APK file (e.g. watchmaker.android_wear_micro_apk.apk.zip)
    -Extract the entire contents to a directory
    -Delete the META-INF subdirectory

Getting the Watchface ready
    -Get the watchface you want. As a completely shameless plug, I'll use my own watchface as an example. (http://facerepo.com/app/faces/details/old-meets-new-v3-14f9bc97e2a) I even added an Apple logo to it.
    -Append a .zip to the end of the WATCH file (e.g. old-meets-new-v3.watch.zip)
    -Extract the entire contents to a directory

There are 2 default watches. W3 is Steel Blue. W11 is Retrospecto. We will replace W3 in this example.
    -Copy the fonts and images subdirectories from the watchface to the watchmaker\assets directory
    -Rename the preview.jpg to w3.jpg and overwrite the one in the watchmaker\assets\preview directory
    -Rename the watch.xml to w3.xml and overwrite the one in the watchmaker\assets\watches directory
    -Unfortunately none of the scripts load. I don't know why.
    -Process can be repeated for a second watchface and W11.

Time to package up and sign
    -Zip everything back up again (without the META-INF subdirectory) and rename it back to APK (e.g. watchmaker.android_wear_micro_apk.apk)
    -In %JAVA_HOME%\bin there's two files: jarsigner and keytool
    -Use keytool to make a keystore: "keytool -genkey -v -keystore abcdef.keystore -alias MyKey -keyalg RSA -keysize 2048 -validity 10000"
    -Use jarsigner to sign your apk file: "jarsigner -verbose -keystore abcdef.keystore watchmaker.android_wear_micro_apk.apk MyKey"

Upload to watch
    -Plug watch to computer via USB
    -Enable developer options on watch (Settings, About, Build Number x 10)
    -Enable ADB debugging (Settings, Developer Options)
    -Run "adb usb". It should say "daemon started successfully" and "running in USB mode"
    -Run "adb devices". It should have one device on the list
    -Run "adb install watchmaker.android_wear_micro_apk.apk". It should upload and say "Success". Then your watch should have a notification saying "WatchMaker Installed. Touch to set watch face".
    -If you get a INSTALL_FAILED_ALREADY_EXISTS: Watchmaker was previously installed, run "adb shell" then "pm list packages", find the watchmaker package, and run "pm uninstall slide.watchFrenzy" (or watchFrenzy.premium), then "exit" from the shell
    -If you get a INSTALL_PARSE_FAILED_NO_CERTIFICATES: You didn't run jarsigner properly or you forgot to delete the META-INF directory before running jarsigner.
    Hi all.

I am starting this thread so that to discuss/investigate the compatibility options between iOS and Android Wear.

The Apple watch is around the corner after all, but there are many of us Apple fans (not fanboys) that do not like it.
    It simply is not enough, especially if the inexcusable delays are taken into consideration.
    It is ugly, girly (personal opinion), lacking functionality and most of all it's UI seems so not Apple like.

I know there are many iPhone users who would love to have an Android Wear watch that actually works with their phones.
    There are rumours that Google will eventually officialy support iOS but until then there are at least 4 devs who (claim to) have managed the impossible.

XDA members @MohammadAG, @iAppleDev and @ali.almahdi, as well as a dev who goes by Twitter name @shiitakeo.

Of these, @shiitakeo and @iAppleDev have uploaded alpha versions of the required .apk that should run on the watch side.

It is my understanding that all solutions do not require a JB iPhone and do not require a rooted Gear Watch.

On the iPhone side installation of an app (like LightBlue or BLE utility) that exposes notifications to ANCS is required.

I ask that all who have access to both an iPhone and an Android Wear watch and want to participate in this thread that they share their test conclusions here.

We need beta testers to confirm:

1) What configuration/solution you are using.
    2) What works
    3) What doesn't work

What we know is that all these alpha solutions aim at allowing iOS notifications to be transfered via BLE to the Wear watch.

Added functionality like Google Now or even Siri on the watch remains a dream for the time being, and would most certainly require a JB iPhone.

It would be great if a dev (one of the above mentioned or any other interested in this) could provide more info about his/her solution, like ETA, bug list, functionality, soon to come and related stuff.

Thank you all in advance.
    Yesterday, I've successfully installed Facer and about 40 watch faces on my LG Urbane paired to an iPhone.

I've made a tutorial with detailed steps so others may try it and enjoy their Android watches. My knowledge of the Android system is limited so there may be some obvious shortcuts to my solution. Some steps are a little vague because finding details on Google about them is easy. This has been done an a Windows 10 x64 system and repeated successfully on another Windows 10 x64 system. Not tested on another version.

1 - Enable debugging on your Android Wear device

2 - Install 15 Seconds ADB Installer:
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?p=48915118#post48915118
    Note: you may have to disable your antivirus as this application may be tagged as a false positive

3 - Connect your device with a USB cable (either directly or with the charger) and wait for plug n play to detect it

4 - Open an admin command prompt window and type:
    adb usb
    You should see "Restarting in USB mode". If not wait a little and try again. If your device is still not detected, you may have to install more specific USB drivers.

5 - On your device, give the "always" authorisation for the connection

6 - Type:
    adb devices
    and you should see 1 device attached

7 - At the command prompt, type:
    cd %userprofile%\Desktop
    md facer
    cd facer

8 - Now, you will need to put the latest Facer APK into the facer folder we've just created on the desktop. Note: Since I already had the paid version Facer on my Android device, I used a little Android app called "Apk Extractor" to regenerate the Apk file from the installed app. An older Facer version will work but some watch faces will have bugs (I tried first on the 1.6 version and it worked but some newer faces weren't perfect)

9 - Back to the command prompt to rename the Facer APK so it will be extractable:
    ren *.apk facerapk.zip

10 - You should now have a facerapk.zip archive into the facer folder. Right-click on it and select "Extract all" to unpack the archive to a folder of the same name.

11 - Now, let's get the watch app to the current folder and rename it so it will be easier to work with it:
    copy facerapk\res\raw\*.apk
    ren *.apk facermicro.apk

12 - Facer can now be installed on the watch:
    adb install facermicro.apk

13 - Make a folder for the additionnal faces:
    md faces

14 - Go to FaceRepo and download your faces into the "faces" folder. They will have a .face extension

15 - We need to change the file extension to zip:
    ren faces\*.face *.zip

16 - Now, right-click on each file and extract it to its default folder using the "Extract all" option. You can use WinRAR (if you have it installed) to select them all and extract them to separate folders. A free version of WinRAR can be easily installed from www.ninite.com.

17 - Back to the command-line to remove the zip files and transfer the faces to the watch. Type:
    del faces\*.zip
    adb push faces/. /sdcard/Facer

You're done! If everything is OK, you can select the Facer watch face and select your face by tapping on the gear icon of Facer on the watch.

If you ever need to remove Facer and start from scratch do this:
    adb uninstall com.jeremysteckling.facerrel
    adb shell rm -r /sdcard/Facer
    The Facer folder on the watch must also be removed since uninstalling the app leaves it behind with the custom watchfaces.

If you want to reinstall Facer, restart from step 12 with a command prompt from within the Facer folder.

You can add more faces by repeating steps 14-17 with different faces files.
    Any guide for follow? I have android phone, iPhone, Moto 360, and even pebble. Both Mac and pc are on the table too.

Down load the alpha apk wear_ios https://twitter.com/shiitakeo/status/575713237091516416

Install android SDK on your computer https://developer.android.com/sdk/installing/index.html?pkg=tools

Use adb to install the alpha apk. http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=xdR4VVHHU-8

Download LightBlue - Bluetooth Low Energy by Punch Through
    https://appsto.re/ca/o2AoH.i

Open settings on both the watch and the iPhone and click forget Bluetooth device for iPhone and watch for both in both.

Open light blue on iPhone make an blank peripheral don't add anything then check the box to turn it on.

Open wear_ios on the watch and wait for them to auto connect then keep waiting till it asked for a code to pair iPhone, enter the code with iPhone and wait until it finishes connecting. ;)
    I hate complaining because all this development has been done "free" and with amazing results. However, it seems once again that communication is brutal in what versions are out there, what features are new, updates on this forum, updates on the GitHub are all no where to be found.

@gidi, thanks for the post from @shiitakeo.....it seems there is some confusion about the Google Play store versions vs the GitHub (nothing new since 0.2.2 which most seem to be having problems with...I am on 0.2.1). Can @shiitakeo reorganize the communication on this? What is new in the Play Store? Are those versions (both free and donation) ONLY for Lollipop phone devices since no other device is able to work (parsing error). If that's the case, should non Lollipop phone users install the 0.2.2 version from GitHub?

Thanks to all as usual!!

This is the summary of what (I believe) has been going down. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong

General information:
    -Moto 360: agressively shuts off bluetooth to save power, even during an active data transfer. Connections have been unreliable and nobody has yet been able to fix the 0.5-5 hr random disconnections
    -LG G Watch and G Watch R: Stable connection
    -Other Wear watches: YMMV

Installation:
    -Jailbroken iOS not needed. Rooted android phone and android wear not needed. Android phone preferred
    -Use LightBlue Bluetooth LE on the iOS device, and create a virtual blank peripheral
    -Download adb, and use "adb install" over usb
    -If using a Moto 360, follow these instructions (https://developer.android.com/training/wearables/apps/bt-debugging.html) to sideload via USB through an Android Phone, then over bluetooth to the Wear. Instructions are less clear on how to accomplish this without an Android phone, and instead using a Mac, Parallels Android VM, or other means. Possible to do this using a custom Moto 360 USB cable?

Progress:
    @MohammadAG: https://twitter.com/MohammadAG started the first concept video posted http://youtu.be/DIIYmVSc9Yw showing iOS talking directly to a Wear (360) using ANCS and no Android phone. Since then, implemented features such as answering phone calls (http://youtu.be/D2pkyHp8HN0), iOS low battery notification, and music control (http://youtu.be/bY7E-hng7Fk). Attempt to fix Moto 360 disconnection issue by using a custom helper iOS app (instead of LightBlue) but app has since been rejected by Apple. Android APK is not yet released, but has been reviewed in beta form by iDownloadBlog (http://www.idownloadblog.com/2015/03/26/android-wear-iphone-ios-notifications/). Play store search here (https://play.google.com/store/apps/developer?id=Mohammad+Abu-Garbeyyeh)

@shiitakeo: coded an Android Wear APK, directly inspired by @MohammadAG. Git is here:https://github.com/shiitakeo/android_wear_for_ios.
    v0.2 had some issues where the screen would always stay awake after notification.
    v0.21 seems to be the preferred version so far, if you don't have a lolipop phone.
    v0.22 has a reduced size for unexplainable reasons, but also includes the new capability of installing a "mobile" version, to be loaded onto a lolipop Android phone and auto-synchronized onto the Wear.
    v1.1 is released onto the Google Play store in free http://goo.gl/SJ9IYY and donation http://goo.gl/B4oR6G versions, again meant for lolipop-only Android phones to auto-sync to the Wear and bypass the need to sideload using adb. Unknown if this differs from v0.22 in any way.

@iAppleDev: all code/progress abandoned in favor of @shiitakeo's code

@ali.almahdi: also connected Moto 360 to iOS https://youtu.be/MBI8ypRYe4Y Attempted to fix Moto 360 disconnection issue using a custom helper iOS app that interfaces to a Wear APK that does automatic reconnection. Both iOS app and Wear APK are not yet published. From (http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=59715304&postcount=216)