Android Wear and iOS connectivity

Does iOS and Android Wear compatibility interest you?

• No. Not at all.

Votes: 42 9.0%
  • Only if/when Android Wear officialy supports iOS.

Votes: 49 10.5%
  • Yes even through custom apps, but i won't JB/root.

Votes: 150 32.3%
  • I want this! I will do JB/root/whatever it takes!

Votes: 224 48.2%

• Total voters
Search This thread

johnnyle7

Apr 2, 2016

quantan

Jan 26, 2011
you are using moto 360? I used the method on the other link and it is working great on my Urbane. no problem at all.
I'm using Huawei watch. Yeah I can install and use faces from Watchmaker but I don't get any notification cards in ambient mode. Would you please share which face you're using? I doubt it is face issues. Thanks!

johnnyle7

Apr 2, 2016
I'm using Huawei watch. Yeah I can install and use faces from Watchmaker but I don't get any notification cards in ambient mode. Would you please share which face you're using? I doubt it is face issues. Thanks!

which one are u using? I have been using many faces from facerepo and have no problem so far.

crash447

Feb 27, 2010
Brand new to Aerlink...used quite a few Wear watches and iOS a lot, but this is my first time using it together. I love being able to block certain apps sending notifications to wear. Some notifications I only like to receive on my phone. Is there a way on Aerlink to block certain apps from sending notifications to the watch?

zard

Jul 19, 2005
Brand new to Aerlink...used quite a few Wear watches and iOS a lot, but this is my first time using it together. I love being able to block certain apps sending notifications to wear. Some notifications I only like to receive on my phone. Is there a way on Aerlink to block certain apps from sending notifications to the watch?

I don't think so.

benf0277

Jul 10, 2016
Hello,
Just wondering which Android VM you used. I tried VirtualBox but it would not work correctly, which VM did you use?

Hi everyone,

I've been following this thread for a while now and I finally bit the bullet yesterday and went out and got myself a Moto 360 (with a silver metal link chain which is cheap-ish now 149$ US without taxes :p)

Anyways, I thought I might post my experience here.

Disclaimer!!: I am just a user and not a developer and so will not be able to answer super complex questions. This is a run down of how I got the Moto 360 and my iPhone 6 plus to (kinda) work with each other. (So, its not written like a tutorial rather an experience) Also, I may digress a lot during the course of writing this so please bear with me!

Background:
iPhone 6 plus - running iOS 9.0 Public Beta 3 (this made this more complicated - more details below)
Moto 360 - now updated to version 5.1.1
Android Device for initial setup - Android X86 (guest) running on VMware VirtualBox on Windows 10 (host) (its a pain to get this working and took me the longest time to sort out especially since I was using the inbuilt Intel Bluetooth and VMware refused to recognize it- drove me :mad: so if you have some sort of access to an Android Device I would highly recommend you use that)
Apps installed:

Android side:
Android Wear
Aerlink

iPhone side:
Aerlink
(I did not use BLE utility at all - since the BLE utility app crashes on iOS 9 Public Beta)

Steps:
1. Unboxed the Moto 360 and charged it to a 100%. This step required patience - the pairing will work for those who wait. This is important because each software update requires the Moto to have at least 80% battery power.
2. Installed the Android Wear app on my android VM in the meanwhile.
3. Once my 360 was charged, I paired and connected it to my android VM using the Android Wear app phone-side.
4. Now I played around with the watch till firmware updates downloaded to the watch. To see its progress one can go to Settings - About - System Updates and here see the progress of the download.
5. The update process for me had to run two times - I'm assuming my Moto 360 was pretty outdated and needed multiple iterations of firmware updates.
6. After each time of the update installing, the device restarts and 'optimizes' updates so this process can take up to 20 mins for the both of them together.
7. After all the updates are installed I verified if the Android version installed is 5.1.1 on the Moto 360
8. Next I installed Aerlink from the play store onto the Android and also Aerlink from the AppStore onto my iPhone (this step requires purchase on the iPhone side, I had no other option since BLE utility doesn't work for me and I wanted to support the developer anyways, it only costs 2$ - less than a Grande from Starbucks).
9. Once both those steps are done, the watch (if it has been updated to the right version) should have the aerlink app on it. I opened up this app and turned on iOS notifications. You can also turn on the battery info if you need it.
10. I opened up the Aerlink app on the iPhone side and then waited. A pairing request popped up on my Moto 360 . Punched in the numbers and done!
11. I then shut down the android VM, and my iPhone remained paired with my Moto 360. The iPhone shows up as Aerlink on the Moto 360 and not necessarily 'iPhone' or 'Tubby's iPhone' or whatever the iPhone's bluetooth name is.

I paired it last night at around 10 pm or so and its connected and I'm receiving notifications as of now which is around 8:30 AM here, so no dropped connections that I noticed.

Again this is just the steps that worked for me and not necessarily a tutorial. Just thought if anyone was stupid like me to install the iOS 9 public beta and BLE utility didn't work for them anymore, this would give them some hope!

Kudos and Best of Luck to those who try it out!

njxbean

Feb 6, 2007
I've tried dozens of times your steps. If I try to install the original watchmaker apk file, it works. When I try to replace the folders / files and after having signed the file, I have the following error : INSTALL_FAILED_INVALID_APK. Any idea why ?

DId anyone ever find a resolution to this? I am using the instructions in this post

When i try to upload i receive the same error. Any ideas? If i try to install the entire apk it works fine. however, when i try to install the micro apk that i have altered no dice.

I will also note that there was no preview folder under assets, i had to add it. Any ideas? ALso note i am trying to upload on a Huawei 2245.

Dieselbuck

Aug 11, 2016
Yesterday, I've successfully installed Facer and about 40 watch faces on my LG Urbane paired to an iPhone.

I've made a tutorial with detailed steps so others may try it and enjoy their Android watches. My knowledge of the Android system is limited so there may be some obvious shortcuts to my solution. Some steps are a little vague because finding details on Google about them is easy. This has been done an a Windows 10 x64 system and repeated successfully on another Windows 10 x64 system. Not tested on another version.

1 - Enable debugging on your Android Wear device

2 - Install 15 Seconds ADB Installer:
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=48915118#post48915118
Note: you may have to disable your antivirus as this application may be tagged as a false positive

3 - Connect your device with a USB cable (either directly or with the charger) and wait for plug n play to detect it

4 - Open an admin command prompt window and type:
adb usb
You should see "Restarting in USB mode". If not wait a little and try again. If your device is still not detected, you may have to install more specific USB drivers.

5 - On your device, give the "always" authorisation for the connection

6 - Type:
adb devices
and you should see 1 device attached

7 - At the command prompt, type:
cd %userprofile%\Desktop
md facer
cd facer

8 - Now, you will need to put the latest Facer APK into the facer folder we've just created on the desktop. Note: Since I already had the paid version Facer on my Android device, I used a little Android app called "Apk Extractor" to regenerate the Apk file from the installed app. An older Facer version will work but some watch faces will have bugs (I tried first on the 1.6 version and it worked but some newer faces weren't perfect)

9 - Back to the command prompt to rename the Facer APK so it will be extractable:
ren *.apk facerapk.zip

10 - You should now have a facerapk.zip archive into the facer folder. Right-click on it and select "Extract all" to unpack the archive to a folder of the same name.

11 - Now, let's get the watch app to the current folder and rename it so it will be easier to work with it:
copy facerapk\res\raw\*.apk
ren *.apk facermicro.apk

12 - Facer can now be installed on the watch:
adb install facermicro.apk

13 - Make a folder for the additionnal faces:
md faces

14 - Go to FaceRepo and download your faces into the "faces" folder. They will have a .face extension

15 - We need to change the file extension to zip:
ren faces\*.face *.zip

16 - Now, right-click on each file and extract it to its default folder using the "Extract all" option. You can use WinRAR (if you have it installed) to select them all and extract them to separate folders. A free version of WinRAR can be easily installed from www.ninite.com.

17 - Back to the command-line to remove the zip files and transfer the faces to the watch. Type:
del faces\*.zip
adb push faces/. /sdcard/Facer

You're done! If everything is OK, you can select the Facer watch face and select your face by tapping on the gear icon of Facer on the watch.

If you ever need to remove Facer and start from scratch do this:
adb uninstall com.jeremysteckling.facerrel
adb shell rm -r /sdcard/Facer
The Facer folder on the watch must also be removed since uninstalling the app leaves it behind with the custom watchfaces.

If you want to reinstall Facer, restart from step 12 with a command prompt from within the Facer folder.

You can add more faces by repeating steps 14-17 with different faces files.

Hi, thank you for this tutorial, everything is going well except the last step, unable to copy files to sdcard as described in:
17 - Back to the command-line to remove the zip files and transfer the faces to the watch. Type:

Any help please? I am using Huawei watch
thank you in advance

215HAn

Jun 2, 2014
I did exactly the above but get the below error message:

1774 KB/s (6033122 bytes in 3.319s)
pkg: /data/local/tmp/watchmaker.android_wear_micro_apk.apk
Failure [INSTALL_FAILED_INVALID_APK]

Can anyone assist as to why or what I am doing wrong?

Thanks

ninjazx6

Mar 6, 2007
I have Lg urbane 2 lte second edition and iphone 7 plus 128gb . I have install android wear app for connection with the watch in the iphone and i dont have the options for bluetooth and wifi in the watch. Also i dont have notification to answer the call on my watch when someones calls me on the iphone. I want to connect bluetooth headset on the watch and i can . Is there any solution on that problems ? I see the wifi settings on the watch with this command on adb : adb shell am start -n com.google.android.apps.wearable.settings/com.google.android.clockwork.settings.wifi.WifiSettingsActivity
is there any similar command to see the bluetooth settings ?

Problems
1. No wifi and bluetooth settings on the watch
2.No notification for incoming calls on the watch
3. Temporary solution or a fix for all that ?

thanks for your answer :)

johneisenheim

Mar 21, 2009
Hi guys! Is there still no way to answer to whatsapp messages through the smartwatch (Moto 360 2nd gen + Android Wear 2.0 + iOS 10.2.1)?

Gentatsu

Aug 15, 2018
Mine was horrible until the past week or so. It wouldn't keep connected at all, and I have to factory reset it often to get it to connect again at all. Now, it seems mostly ok. The wifi connectivity is still shoddy, though. Connecting adb through bluetooth also does not work.

Dankees

Dec 3, 2014
So, I am trying to get Verizon Messages onto my watch.

It's no longer in the Play Store on my watch.

I found a way to sideload it.

I was able to connect my computer to my watch via ADB.

When it came time to transfer the file to my watch, the commands entered didn't result in anything. Nothing happened.

Obviously, something is wrong - but, what?

Help!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Custom Watchmaker Faces while using Android Wear for iOS

Technically if you can get the premium APK, you can have 4 watchfaces (2 each) to choose from.

Rant 1: If you haven't already updated to the latest firmware and Android Wear (on the watch) DO IT NOW! Too many people have been reporting problems with using the older versions, and that's the only reason Google said older watches were incompatible, even though they aren't.

Rant 2: If you're using a Moto 360, I don't think it's possible to use ADB without breaking your bluetooth connection to the iPhone. Make a USB cable or buy a better watch. I know Moto 360 is dirt cheap and looks nice, but hardware-wise it's the black sheep of all Android Wear. Also, shame on Motorola for making the 360 v2 use an LCD screen again.

Prerequisite: Get ADB and universal ADB drivers

Getting Watchmaker ready
    -Obtain Watchmaker APK or Watchmaker Premium APK. I will not say how.
    -Append a .zip to the end of the APK file (e.g. watchmaker.apk.zip)
    -Extract the res/raw/android_wear_micro_apk.apk file. This is the one that goes into the watch.
    -Append a .zip to the end of the APK file (e.g. watchmaker.android_wear_micro_apk.apk.zip)
    -Extract the entire contents to a directory
    -Delete the META-INF subdirectory

Getting the Watchface ready
    -Get the watchface you want. As a completely shameless plug, I'll use my own watchface as an example. (http://facerepo.com/app/faces/details/old-meets-new-v3-14f9bc97e2a) I even added an Apple logo to it.
    -Append a .zip to the end of the WATCH file (e.g. old-meets-new-v3.watch.zip)
    -Extract the entire contents to a directory

There are 2 default watches. W3 is Steel Blue. W11 is Retrospecto. We will replace W3 in this example.
    -Copy the fonts and images subdirectories from the watchface to the watchmaker\assets directory
    -Rename the preview.jpg to w3.jpg and overwrite the one in the watchmaker\assets\preview directory
    -Rename the watch.xml to w3.xml and overwrite the one in the watchmaker\assets\watches directory
    -Unfortunately none of the scripts load. I don't know why.
    -Process can be repeated for a second watchface and W11.

Time to package up and sign
    -Zip everything back up again (without the META-INF subdirectory) and rename it back to APK (e.g. watchmaker.android_wear_micro_apk.apk)
    -In %JAVA_HOME%\bin there's two files: jarsigner and keytool
    -Use keytool to make a keystore: "keytool -genkey -v -keystore abcdef.keystore -alias MyKey -keyalg RSA -keysize 2048 -validity 10000"
    -Use jarsigner to sign your apk file: "jarsigner -verbose -keystore abcdef.keystore watchmaker.android_wear_micro_apk.apk MyKey"

Upload to watch
    -Plug watch to computer via USB
    -Enable developer options on watch (Settings, About, Build Number x 10)
    -Enable ADB debugging (Settings, Developer Options)
    -Run "adb usb". It should say "daemon started successfully" and "running in USB mode"
    -Run "adb devices". It should have one device on the list
    -Run "adb install watchmaker.android_wear_micro_apk.apk". It should upload and say "Success". Then your watch should have a notification saying "WatchMaker Installed. Touch to set watch face".
    -If you get a INSTALL_FAILED_ALREADY_EXISTS: Watchmaker was previously installed, run "adb shell" then "pm list packages", find the watchmaker package, and run "pm uninstall slide.watchFrenzy" (or watchFrenzy.premium), then "exit" from the shell
    -If you get a INSTALL_PARSE_FAILED_NO_CERTIFICATES: You didn't run jarsigner properly or you forgot to delete the META-INF directory before running jarsigner.
    Hi all.

I am starting this thread so that to discuss/investigate the compatibility options between iOS and Android Wear.

The Apple watch is around the corner after all, but there are many of us Apple fans (not fanboys) that do not like it.
    It simply is not enough, especially if the inexcusable delays are taken into consideration.
    It is ugly, girly (personal opinion), lacking functionality and most of all it's UI seems so not Apple like.

I know there are many iPhone users who would love to have an Android Wear watch that actually works with their phones.
    There are rumours that Google will eventually officialy support iOS but until then there are at least 4 devs who (claim to) have managed the impossible.

XDA members @MohammadAG, @iAppleDev and @ali.almahdi, as well as a dev who goes by Twitter name @shiitakeo.

Of these, @shiitakeo and @iAppleDev have uploaded alpha versions of the required .apk that should run on the watch side.

It is my understanding that all solutions do not require a JB iPhone and do not require a rooted Gear Watch.

On the iPhone side installation of an app (like LightBlue or BLE utility) that exposes notifications to ANCS is required.

I ask that all who have access to both an iPhone and an Android Wear watch and want to participate in this thread that they share their test conclusions here.

We need beta testers to confirm:

1) What configuration/solution you are using.
    2) What works
    3) What doesn't work

What we know is that all these alpha solutions aim at allowing iOS notifications to be transfered via BLE to the Wear watch.

Added functionality like Google Now or even Siri on the watch remains a dream for the time being, and would most certainly require a JB iPhone.

It would be great if a dev (one of the above mentioned or any other interested in this) could provide more info about his/her solution, like ETA, bug list, functionality, soon to come and related stuff.

Thank you all in advance.
    Any guide for follow? I have android phone, iPhone, Moto 360, and even pebble. Both Mac and pc are on the table too.

Down load the alpha apk wear_ios https://twitter.com/shiitakeo/status/575713237091516416

Install android SDK on your computer https://developer.android.com/sdk/installing/index.html?pkg=tools

Use adb to install the alpha apk. http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=xdR4VVHHU-8

Download LightBlue - Bluetooth Low Energy by Punch Through
    https://appsto.re/ca/o2AoH.i

Open settings on both the watch and the iPhone and click forget Bluetooth device for iPhone and watch for both in both.

Open light blue on iPhone make an blank peripheral don't add anything then check the box to turn it on.

Open wear_ios on the watch and wait for them to auto connect then keep waiting till it asked for a code to pair iPhone, enter the code with iPhone and wait until it finishes connecting. ;)
    Yesterday, I've successfully installed Facer and about 40 watch faces on my LG Urbane paired to an iPhone.

I've made a tutorial with detailed steps so others may try it and enjoy their Android watches. My knowledge of the Android system is limited so there may be some obvious shortcuts to my solution. Some steps are a little vague because finding details on Google about them is easy. This has been done an a Windows 10 x64 system and repeated successfully on another Windows 10 x64 system. Not tested on another version.

1 - Enable debugging on your Android Wear device

2 - Install 15 Seconds ADB Installer:
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=48915118#post48915118
    Note: you may have to disable your antivirus as this application may be tagged as a false positive

3 - Connect your device with a USB cable (either directly or with the charger) and wait for plug n play to detect it

4 - Open an admin command prompt window and type:
    adb usb
    You should see "Restarting in USB mode". If not wait a little and try again. If your device is still not detected, you may have to install more specific USB drivers.

5 - On your device, give the "always" authorisation for the connection

6 - Type:
    adb devices
    and you should see 1 device attached

7 - At the command prompt, type:
    cd %userprofile%\Desktop
    md facer
    cd facer

8 - Now, you will need to put the latest Facer APK into the facer folder we've just created on the desktop. Note: Since I already had the paid version Facer on my Android device, I used a little Android app called "Apk Extractor" to regenerate the Apk file from the installed app. An older Facer version will work but some watch faces will have bugs (I tried first on the 1.6 version and it worked but some newer faces weren't perfect)

9 - Back to the command prompt to rename the Facer APK so it will be extractable:
    ren *.apk facerapk.zip

10 - You should now have a facerapk.zip archive into the facer folder. Right-click on it and select "Extract all" to unpack the archive to a folder of the same name.

11 - Now, let's get the watch app to the current folder and rename it so it will be easier to work with it:
    copy facerapk\res\raw\*.apk
    ren *.apk facermicro.apk

12 - Facer can now be installed on the watch:
    adb install facermicro.apk

13 - Make a folder for the additionnal faces:
    md faces

14 - Go to FaceRepo and download your faces into the "faces" folder. They will have a .face extension

15 - We need to change the file extension to zip:
    ren faces\*.face *.zip

16 - Now, right-click on each file and extract it to its default folder using the "Extract all" option. You can use WinRAR (if you have it installed) to select them all and extract them to separate folders. A free version of WinRAR can be easily installed from www.ninite.com.

del faces\*.zip

You're done! If everything is OK, you can select the Facer watch face and select your face by tapping on the gear icon of Facer on the watch.

If you ever need to remove Facer and start from scratch do this:
    adb uninstall com.jeremysteckling.facerrel
    adb shell rm -r /sdcard/Facer
    The Facer folder on the watch must also be removed since uninstalling the app leaves it behind with the custom watchfaces.

If you want to reinstall Facer, restart from step 12 with a command prompt from within the Facer folder.

You can add more faces by repeating steps 14-17 with different faces files.
    I hate complaining because all this development has been done "free" and with amazing results. However, it seems once again that communication is brutal in what versions are out there, what features are new, updates on this forum, updates on the GitHub are all no where to be found.

@gidi, thanks for the post from @shiitakeo.....it seems there is some confusion about the Google Play store versions vs the GitHub (nothing new since 0.2.2 which most seem to be having problems with...I am on 0.2.1). Can @shiitakeo reorganize the communication on this? What is new in the Play Store? Are those versions (both free and donation) ONLY for Lollipop phone devices since no other device is able to work (parsing error). If that's the case, should non Lollipop phone users install the 0.2.2 version from GitHub?

Thanks to all as usual!!

This is the summary of what (I believe) has been going down. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong

General information:
    -Moto 360: agressively shuts off bluetooth to save power, even during an active data transfer. Connections have been unreliable and nobody has yet been able to fix the 0.5-5 hr random disconnections
    -LG G Watch and G Watch R: Stable connection
    -Other Wear watches: YMMV

Installation:
    -Jailbroken iOS not needed. Rooted android phone and android wear not needed. Android phone preferred
    -Use LightBlue Bluetooth LE on the iOS device, and create a virtual blank peripheral
    -Download adb, and use "adb install" over usb
    -If using a Moto 360, follow these instructions (https://developer.android.com/training/wearables/apps/bt-debugging.html) to sideload via USB through an Android Phone, then over bluetooth to the Wear. Instructions are less clear on how to accomplish this without an Android phone, and instead using a Mac, Parallels Android VM, or other means. Possible to do this using a custom Moto 360 USB cable?

Progress:
    @MohammadAG: https://twitter.com/MohammadAG started the first concept video posted http://youtu.be/DIIYmVSc9Yw showing iOS talking directly to a Wear (360) using ANCS and no Android phone. Since then, implemented features such as answering phone calls (http://youtu.be/D2pkyHp8HN0), iOS low battery notification, and music control (http://youtu.be/bY7E-hng7Fk). Attempt to fix Moto 360 disconnection issue by using a custom helper iOS app (instead of LightBlue) but app has since been rejected by Apple. Android APK is not yet released, but has been reviewed in beta form by iDownloadBlog (http://www.idownloadblog.com/2015/03/26/android-wear-iphone-ios-notifications/). Play store search here (https://play.google.com/store/apps/developer?id=Mohammad+Abu-Garbeyyeh)

@shiitakeo: coded an Android Wear APK, directly inspired by @MohammadAG. Git is here:https://github.com/shiitakeo/android_wear_for_ios.
    v0.2 had some issues where the screen would always stay awake after notification.
    v0.21 seems to be the preferred version so far, if you don't have a lolipop phone.
    v0.22 has a reduced size for unexplainable reasons, but also includes the new capability of installing a "mobile" version, to be loaded onto a lolipop Android phone and auto-synchronized onto the Wear.
    v1.1 is released onto the Google Play store in free http://goo.gl/SJ9IYY and donation http://goo.gl/B4oR6G versions, again meant for lolipop-only Android phones to auto-sync to the Wear and bypass the need to sideload using adb. Unknown if this differs from v0.22 in any way.

@iAppleDev: all code/progress abandoned in favor of @shiitakeo's code

@ali.almahdi: also connected Moto 360 to iOS https://youtu.be/MBI8ypRYe4Y Attempted to fix Moto 360 disconnection issue using a custom helper iOS app that interfaces to a Wear APK that does automatic reconnection. Both iOS app and Wear APK are not yet published. From (http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=59715304&postcount=216)