Android x86 WiFi issue.

Search This thread

georgeellis28

Apr 30, 2015
I recently did a full install of android-x86_64-7.1-rc2 on my Laptop Lenovo Ideapad 110. Everything runs. Only issue I am running into is the WiFi connection as it keeps dropping. The weird thing is that when I plug the laptop to a direct connection (Ethernet) the internet connection is completely stable. All my other wireless devices that use my home WiFi are also stable.

maurictdev

May 23, 2018
Same problem

I recently did a full install of android-x86_64-7.1-rc2 on my Laptop Lenovo Ideapad 110. Everything runs. Only issue I am running into is the WiFi connection as it keeps dropping. The weird thing is that when I plug the laptop to a direct connection (Ethernet) the internet connection is completely stable. All my other wireless devices that use my home WiFi are also stable.

Same problem on my Asus Vivobook Flip TP203NA.
Release rc-1's wifi was working normally.
Ethernet cable still works.

JamesJuju123

May 31, 2018
How to

Can you please tell me how did you manage to activate Xposed on Android x86?

svdk5@msn.com

Jun 11, 2009
WIFI x86 8.1 RC1 not working on asus TP200SA

Hello, same thing for me here too, but I have installed RC1 and that does the same, all seems to work no wifi.

Last edited:

magdy.ragab

Oct 3, 2018
I also have the same issue.
LENOVO ideapad 110

Luxell

May 7, 2016
Did you find solution?
I have Dell Inspiron Mini i installed Android-x86-8.1-r1 and only frist time after instalattion wifi work fine then when i restart Android wifi connection lost and no showing in wifi connections.
How to fix that?

colonal35

Jan 26, 2020
Same issue here on a dell Pavilion DM4. Wifi worked on initial setup and then suddenly drops and cannot turn it on.

reikred

Jul 12, 2013
Moto G8
OnePlus Nord N10 5G
I've been having the same problem on android-x86_64-9.0-r2.iso (baremetal install/no VM, on asus laptop ux305fa). Found a workaround to get wifi back up and running:

Ctrl-Alt-F1 (to switch to console)
su (to get root)
ip link show wlan0 (shows wlan0 as DOWN)
ip link set wlan0 up
ip link show wlan0 (shows wlan0 as UP)
ping address-for-wifi-router (works now)
Ctrl-Alt-F7 (to switch back to GUI)

GUI at this point shows wifi is status is "connected" to my router, which I set up before with password and everything. Before I did the manual workaround, turning on the wifi slider button in the GUI caused an endless hang condition.

So the question is, why does wifi get hung up in the first place?

@colonal35 @panda9 @dbroadus2007 does my workaround have the desired effect for you?

UPDATE: in my case, after fixing as shown above, wifi came up automatically after next reboot.

UPDATE2: I noticed that after applying my fix, my wireless mouse does not work anymore. Could it be that the orioginal problem occurs because ax86 gets confused when there are two wireless devices wifi+mouse (+bluetooth, but bt seems not affected). Strike the preceding. After next reboot the wireless mouse is working again. At least so far.

Last edited:

rayluo

Mar 29, 2017
I've been having the same problem on android-x86_64-9.0-r2.iso (baremetal install/no VM, on asus laptop ux305fa). Found a workaround to get wifi back up and running:

Ctrl-Alt-F1 (to switch to console)
su (to get root)
ip link show wlan0 (shows wlan0 as DOWN)
ip link set wlan0 up
ip link show wlan0 (shows wlan0 as UP)
ping address-for-wifi-router (works now)
Ctrl-Alt-F7 (to switch back to GUI)

GUI at this point shows wifi is status is "connected" to my router, which I set up before with password and everything. Before I did the manual workaround, turning on the wifi slider button in the GUI caused an endless hang condition.

So the question is, why does wifi get hung up in the first place?

@colonal35 @panda9 @dbroadus2007 does my workaround have the desired effect for you?

UPDATE: in my case, after fixing as shown above, wifi came up automatically after next reboot.

UPDATE2: I noticed that after applying my fix, my wireless mouse does not work anymore. Could it be that the orioginal problem occurs because ax86 gets confused when there are two wireless devices wifi+mouse (+bluetooth, but bt seems not affected). Strike the preceding. After next reboot the wireless mouse is working again. At least so far.

Just writing to share my almost-successful experience on this.

Symtpom: Many months ago, I installed Android x86 9.0 rc1 on one of my spare laptop (a Dell Latitude E5530, FWIW). It worked fine at that time. I did not use it since then, and recently when I booted that laptop, the WiFi icon in notification bar is dimmed, and the machine keeps "searching for Wi-Fi networks...".

Trying to follow @reikred 's workaround above, but in my case, the initial "ip link show wlan0" already shows wlan0 as UP, and then toggling "ip link set wlan up" or "... down" does NOT change the "ip link show wlan0" status at all. Inspired by @reikred's idea, I use "ifconfig" instead. "ifconfig wlan0 down" and "... up" can change wlan0 status. And then, the WiFi works ... momentarily. After I read a couple web pages, the WiFi hung up again.

But thanks for @georgeellis28 's sharing, the workaround of plugging in an ethernet cable does work! That is a pleasant surprise. I was not aware that an Android device would work with ethernet.

Bragi1

Apr 3, 2021
Well I have the same problem and I've figured out what the issue is. The wireless adaptor isn't supported in the version of linux that android x86 is using, specifically the Realtek 8822CE. I think a usb wifi adaptor would work. There may be different versions of the android x86 that work depending on what version of linux is used.