• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Annoying random screen orientation issue

Search This thread

Paul203360

Feb 22, 2008
London
Hi guys
I have a Note 10+ totally standard set up.
When watching anything in Landscape mode it will randomly switch to portrait. I have timed this and it happens roughly every 6 minutes and 10 seconds without fail.
Any ideas? It seems to have started happening around 2 or 3 firmware updates ago.
I have tried turning off auto rotate and S pen gestures and it still happens.
It also happens when using Maps in Landscape mode, it shrinks down to minimised mode in the home screen.
I'm hoping someone else has encountered this and can help me fix this annoying issue?

cfds

I have something similar, while watching you tube vanced in landscape it would jump to the miniplayer. I did some reading and changed a setting and now it jumps from landscape to portrait mode. It still jumping even when I force all in landscape. I have not timed it yet but it could be well every 6min. On top of that I can see every X time a flicker when using the phone like the screen flickers once. Seems very similar to your problem.
My note 10+ is a Exynos version with Android 11 & One UI 3.1 security patch 1 Now 21. No root/complete stock.

Paul203360

Feb 22, 2008
London
I have something similar, while watching you tube vanced in landscape it would jump to the miniplayer. I did some reading and changed a setting and now it jumps from landscape to portrait mode. It still jumping even when I force all in landscape. I have not timed it yet but it could be well every 6min. On top of that I can see every X time a flicker when using the phone like the screen flickers once. Seems very similar to your problem.
My note 10+ is a Exynos version with Android 11 & One UI 3.1 security patch 1 Now 21. No root/complete stock.
Yes, same here every now and again I get a screen flicker like you mention. How long has this been happening for you? I'm sure it was about 3 updates ago

cfds

A couple of months? I have been considering doing a hard reset and reinstall all my apps again. My wife has also a Note 10+ and she has none of these symptom's, both are stock non rooted phones running latest UI...
To me its a software glitch but to find the origin of this will not be easy unless we can trace a process happening every 6 minutes.

Last edited:

blackhawk

Jun 23, 2020
A couple of months? I have been considering doing a hard reset and reinstall all my apps again. My wife has also a Note 10+ and she has none of these symptom's, both are stock non rooted phones running latest UI...
I don't update, haven't for 2 years and no issues... updates break devices especially on carrier variants.

Clear system cache.
Make sure all power management is disabled, to check; Developer options>standby apps, all buckets should show as active.
If that doesn't work try safe mode to rule out a 3rd party app.

If you have done a major firmware upgrade, factory reset.

cfds

I tried to clear system cache but could not get the device into recovery mode, turns out on android 11 you need the USB cable hooked up to a laptop...I as hardly connect my device to my laptop I have not cleared it yet.
PWR management I will look into. I had the device in safe mode but not long enough.

blackhawk

Jun 23, 2020
I tried to clear system cache but could not get the device into recovery mode, turns out on android 11 you need the USB cable hooked up to a laptop...I as hardly connect my device to my laptop I have not cleared it yet.
PWR management I will look into. I had the device in safe mode but not long enough.
If you can still roll it back to Android 10, do so.
One of the reasons I got a second N10+ was knowing it be running on Pie, however it was Q instead.
Q isn't bad however 11 and 12 are a mess.

blackhawk

Jun 23, 2020
Timed it today, occurs every 6 and a bit minutes...
Monitor in Device Care>Memory what apk(s) are at the end of the list. It's likely one of them.
Remember to refresh and expand the list.
I've used this method to find insanely obscure problems and avoid a factory reset.

Screenshot_20211122-103517_Device care.jpg

blackhawk

Jun 23, 2020
Sounds like power management... disable it.
Make sure in the individual apps Battery>allow background activity is enabled.
The update may have changed default settings... you'll need to track it down. Fun times...🤣

Screenshot_20211124-220505_Device care.jpg

andrehen

Oct 19, 2012
Same issue here... At first it was annoying that every 6 minutes the screen exited landscape mode. But then I got really enraged when I was shooting a video in landscape. And on top of returning to portrait, the recording is canceled..... I'm really not willing to reset the phone, I would really like to find the root cause of this issue...

andrehen

Oct 19, 2012
I did it! I found the culprit.

This issue was already getting in my nerves, so I decided to attach my phone to Logcat. Then after some events I started do find some pattern:
Every time the phone "auto-rotates" it fires a WindowManager log like this:

2021-12-02 00:43:27.453 1012-1107/? I/WindowManager: Destroying surface Surface(name=com.samsung.android.messaging/com.samsung.android.messaging.ui.view.firstlaunch.GoogleFirstLaunchActivity$_22315)

And the one that allowed me to pinpoint, was this rotation message:
2021-12-02 00:43:27.619 1012-1107/? I/WindowManager: Reparenting to original parent: null, destroy=true, surface=Surface(name=RotationLayer)/@0x4f79623

Then I went googling this message and found this thread:

So I did what the guy suggested, I downloaded Google Message and replaced Samsung Message one as the system default SMS app.
I didn't need to remove the samsung messaging via adb. Just force stopped it. But if after I reboot my phone it starts do do it again, I will remove it!!!!

Reactions: blackhawk

blackhawk

Jun 23, 2020

This issue was already getting in my nerves, so I decided to attach my phone to Logcat. Then after some events I started do find some pattern:

2021-12-02 00:43:27.453 1012-1107/? I/WindowManager: Destroying surface Surface(name=com.samsung.android.messaging/com.samsung.android.messaging.ui.view.firstlaunch.GoogleFirstLaunchActivity$_22315)

2021-12-02 00:43:27.619 1012-1107/? I/WindowManager: Reparenting to original parent: null, destroy=true, surface=Surface(name=RotationLayer)/@0x4f79623

So I did what the guy suggested, I downloaded Google Message and replaced Samsung Message one as the system default SMS app.
I didn't need to remove the samsung messaging via adb. Just force stopped it. But if after I reboot my phone it starts do do it again, I will remove it!!!!

On my Android 9 and 10 N10+'s that app runs with no issues. It's a well behave app for me that I use a lot.
Changed system settings is set to not allow.
This is it's typical memory usage pattern on 9:

Screenshot_20211201-223122_Settings.jpg

andrehen

Oct 19, 2012
On my Android 9 and 10 N10+'s that app runs with no issues. It's a well behave app for me that I use a lot.
Changed system settings is set to not allow.
This is it's typical memory usage pattern on 9:

View attachment 5472799

com.samsung.android.messaging has aways been a well behaved APP. The thing is, like the OP related, and like myself and other reports here, this issue began in the last updates from Samsung, like in the the past month or so.. It's probably trying to show an activity `GoogleFirstLaunchActivity` and can't, causing this behavior. But I do think in the next update or two, this issue will be sorted out.

Paul203360

Feb 22, 2008
London

I just Force stopped the message app and it still does it every dammed 6 minutes. It's really doing my head in.

Paul203360

Feb 22, 2008
London
com.samsung.android.messaging has aways been a well behaved APP. The thing is, like the OP related, and like myself and other reports here, this issue began in the last updates from Samsung, like in the the past month or so.. It's probably trying to show an activity `GoogleFirstLaunchActivity` and can't, causing this behavior. But I do think in the next update or two, this issue will be sorted out.
I do hope an update fixes it, it doesn't seem to be an issue with the messaging app for me.

andrehen

Oct 19, 2012
I just Force stopped the message app and it still does it every dammed 6 minutes. It's really doing my head in.
Did you download google message and set it to default? I think that if the Samsung Message still is the default SMS client, it can't really be forced to stop. (It just restarts by the OS)
When I installed google messages all my existent messages from samsung message was transferred over. And as I mostly only use SMS to receive authentication codes nothing really changed for me.

Reactions: cfds

Paul203360

Feb 22, 2008
London
Did you download google message and set it to default? I think that if the Samsung Message still is the default SMS client, it can't really be forced to stop. (It just restarts by the OS)
When I installed google messages all my existent messages from samsung message was transferred over. And as I mostly only use SMS to receive authentication codes nothing really changed for me.
No, I didn't, I will give that a try. If it transfers everything over that's ideal. Will give it a go. Cheers

SOLVED!!! What a result, Andrehen your an asset to XDA. Really appreciate you sorting this problem out for us. Thanks fella 😍

Last edited:

Paul203360

Feb 22, 2008
London
Hi cfds
Did you get the issue sorted?
If not, follow what andrehen says. It worked perfect for me.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    No, I didn't, I will give that a try. If it transfers everything over that's ideal. Will give it a go. Cheers

SOLVED!!! What a result, Andrehen your an asset to XDA. Really appreciate you sorting this problem out for us. Thanks fella 😍
    Update, after I switched to googles msg app the issue has gone away!