Another brick?

Search This thread

stanelie

Feb 20, 2008
Hello.

I did something wrong while trying to flash TWRP on my pixel 2, I am now stuck at the bootloader, and I cannot boot System or Recovery. While at the bootloader screen, it says Device State : unlocked. If I try to get to download mode, it says "ERROR: Operation Denied". If I try to go into recovery, it says "ERROR: Slot Unbootable: Load Error". If I try "Start", I get the same error message.

Also, adb or fastboot don't seem to be able to "see" the pixel connected to the computer. I believe my cables are good since I was able to flash Magisk and reflash the whole system with them before bricking it.

Can anyone help?

Thanks!

koax88

May 1, 2011
Hello.

I did something wrong while trying to flash TWRP on my pixel 2, I am now stuck at the bootloader, and I cannot boot System or Recovery. While at the bootloader screen, it says Device State : unlocked. If I try to get to download mode, it says "ERROR: Operation Denied". If I try to go into recovery, it says "ERROR: Slot Unbootable: Load Error". If I try "Start", I get the same error message.

Also, adb or fastboot don't seem to be able to "see" the pixel connected to the computer. I believe my cables are good since I was able to flash Magisk and reflash the whole system with them before bricking it.

Can anyone help?

Thanks!

happened to my walleye too , and managed to bring it back to life . check this thread for a possible solution. https://forum.xda-developers.com/pixel-2/help/december-factory-image-to-broken-t3875213

stanelie

Feb 20, 2008
Thanks!
I missed that thread while researching this issue.
I will try these things when I get back from work next week.
Thanks again!

atifaslam7

Nov 25, 2017
Thanks!
I missed that thread while researching this issue.
I will try these things when I get back from work next week.
Thanks again!

Just as a reference for anyone else who needs the fix and can't be bothered opening another thread.

SOLUTION: At the menu where it is stuck and saying device fail etc, plug in your usb cable to the mobile, press and hold the POWER button for 10 seconds, it will now recognise your phone under fastboot.
Once that is cleared, it's pretty much straightforward flashing latest pixel 2 image via fastboot and problem solved.

sidenote: Issue came with anyone who tried to flash december security updates and above as of what I heard.

stanelie

Feb 20, 2008
So, several things :

Holding down the power button had no effect other than restarting the boot menu, but Fastboot never became available.

Opening up the phone and disconnecting the battery and reconnecting it made Fastboot available again. This would be in line with other users that let the phone battery discharge completely before regaining fastboot access.

Sidenote : opening up this phone is not for the faint of heart. I managed to damage something on the motherboard doing so (probably a static electricity discharge), the screen ended up displaying gibberish. I was able to salvage my phone by replacing the motherboard. I had ordered a replacement motherboard when I thought all was lost with no fastboot, and I had it on hand. Expensive little sucker...

Feb 19, 2019
Hello.

Can anyone help?

Thanks!

Same thing happened to me except I never even tried to root. Just pulled the phone out of my pocket, and the little Android dude was belly up. It's showing device locked - and although I had it in Dev. mode from weeks back (thought USB Debugging was enabled) it fails to respond to adb commands, boot-loader mode, etc.
...Looks like Google laid an egg with this one.

Reactions: cfclay

ashokabs

Mar 9, 2011
New Delhi
Pixel 2 - "ERROR: Slot Unbootable: Load Error"

If you get the above error you will find that you cannot boot into recovery and the phone stays in the bootloader screen each time you try to start the phone. If your bootloader is unlocked you might be able to recover your phone to flash a stock image and revive. My problem started when I tried to restore a nandroid backup after trying out Android Q beta 1. I got the error mentioned above.

Most of the people recommended that I get a replacement from Google support as they had tried everything but it didn't work. Well right here in XDA Pixel 2 forum there is a solution waiting to be used. I am reproducing it from the post titled

"December factory image seems to have broken fastboot enumeration"

A possible way to resurrect a bricked Pixel 2...
Hey guys, I have just been able to get mine alive. The device started to be recognized (USB/fastboot) after about 10 unsuccessful attempts to start the system: "Start", from bootloader.

So what exactly happened and what I did:

1. Bricked a Pixel 2.
2. It started into bootloader and showed the "slot unbootable" error.
3. The device was not recognized by any of my machines at all, lsusb did not show anything new in the system, and, respectively, fastboot did not see the device.
4. The default option in the bootloader is "Start" if I remember correctly. So I just pressed the power button and did not release it until I noticed a vibration. It were about 10 unsuccessful attempts of system loading before that vibration.
5. Right after that vibration I connected a generic (NONAME) USB-C <-> USB-A cable to both the device and my Linux machine, and fortunately the device was recognized by the system and fastboot was able to detect the device correctly. So I flashed the a factory image, and it went just fine.
Unquote

Let me confirm that this works. I kept the power button down while the phone was connected via USB to the PC for at least 5 mins. During several reboots suddenly I got a beep from the PC which indicated that ADB was working. I flashed a stock image and voila the pixel 2 is back in operation.

Hope this helps several other people who might have this problem.

_Kalyan

Jun 26, 2017
Google Pixel 2
If you get the above error you will find that you cannot boot into recovery and the phone stays in the bootloader screen each time you try to start the phone. If your bootloader is unlocked you might be able to recover your phone to flash a stock image and revive. My problem started when I tried to restore a nandroid backup after trying out Android Q beta 1. I got the error mentioned above.

Most of the people recommended that I get a replacement from Google support as they had tried everything but it didn't work. Well right here in XDA Pixel 2 forum there is a solution waiting to be used. I am reproducing it from the post titled

Hey guys, I have just been able to get mine alive. The device started to be recognized (USB/fastboot) after about 10 unsuccessful attempts to start the system: "Start", from bootloader.

1. Bricked a Pixel 2.
3. The device was not recognized by any of my machines at all, lsusb did not show anything new in the system, and, respectively, fastboot did not see the device.
4. The default option in the bootloader is "Start" if I remember correctly. So I just pressed the power button and did not release it until I noticed a vibration. It were about 10 unsuccessful attempts of system loading before that vibration.
5. Right after that vibration I connected a generic (NONAME) USB-C <-> USB-A cable to both the device and my Linux machine, and fortunately the device was recognized by the system and fastboot was able to detect the device correctly. So I flashed the a factory image, and it went just fine.
Unquote

Let me confirm that this works. I kept the power button down while the phone was connected via USB to the PC for at least 5 mins. During several reboots suddenly I got a beep from the PC which indicated that ADB was working. I flashed a stock image and voila the pixel 2 is back in operation.

I don't even know how to thank you. I almost had a heart attack watching my Pixel bricked. Thanks man!

Reactions: ashokabs

SoKa1993

Nov 22, 2018
I don't even know how to thank you. I almost had a heart attack watching my Pixel bricked. Thanks man!
Does ur bootloader locked or unlocked?

---------- Post added at 11:36 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:36 AM ----------

1. Bricked a Pixel 2.
Unquote

Works on bootloader state locked or not?

ashokabs

Mar 9, 2011
New Delhi
Does ur bootloader locked or unlocked?

---------- Post added at 11:36 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:36 AM ----------

Works on bootloader state locked or not?

If the boot loader is locked look for a script for unlocking the bootloader from recovery or bootloader state. I did find it but cannot remember. My bootloader was unlocked so I did not have to use it.

gr33nt41l

Dec 9, 2020

1. Bricked a Pixel 2.
Unquote

I have same problem. I use Pixel 2 and Fedora. My question is, what i exactly should do? I mean the steps. I didn't get that beep from my laptop. But I got the vibration when I hold the power button when it's not connected to USB. Please Help me.

Sorry my english isn't that good.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

1. Bricked a Pixel 2.
    Unquote

Hello.

Can anyone help?

Thanks!

Same thing happened to me except I never even tried to root. Just pulled the phone out of my pocket, and the little Android dude was belly up. It's showing device locked - and although I had it in Dev. mode from weeks back (thought USB Debugging was enabled) it fails to respond to adb commands, boot-loader mode, etc.
    ...Looks like Google laid an egg with this one.

1. Bricked a Pixel 2.
    Unquote

Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone