“Answered but not Perfected” Getting the Droid 2 Global to work on USA GSM

What network will you use your Droid 2 Global with?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Search This thread

TimelesslyPrecise

Oct 13, 2010
SouthWest Florida

Some other folks decided it would be best to try and capitalize on the discovery.

They want to charge 100 for the work, you mail the pnone in, and there is no guarantee they won't brick your phone, and also won't provide included upgrades.. (last time i looked)

Other than that, I'm not sure.. :/

It's on some other forum, I'm sure if you google it, you can find it easily.

Good Luck!!

oh, ps..

it only supports At&T's 3g band, so if you intend to use it on t-mobiles network, it will not operate at it fullest potential.

For the US, that seems to be one hefty price to pay, for a phone which also is very difficult to customize, considering it has the locked bootlaoder. :/

Next phone is probably going to be an HTC.... Motorola killed it for me..

Canio Wolf

Mar 23, 2011
El Paso
This made me sad.. I was looking forward to getting a D2G for AT&T just to have and mess around with but I guess not :( I'm definitely not willing to pay $100 for the band unlock, it's just not worth it

mhansaq

Feb 10, 2011
Motorola Droid 2 Global

I bought motorola droid 2 global form the US. it is locked and i am not able to use it in montreal.
when I set to GSM and I can see rogers even thought I do not have the rogers sim
what does this mean?
thanks

freak4dell

Aug 10, 2008
That's too bad that a certain group decided to be greedy on this. I can understand charging that much if there was a guarantee of it working, but the secret should have been released for free with a disclaimer that they weren't responsible if you messed up your phone. I would even be happy to pay the $3 that they charge for their app in order to get access to the necessary files (which I find kind of off-putting, as well, since it kind of forces a donation, in a way).

Hopefully we'll see a free leak at some point, so those that are willing to take the risks themselves are free to do so.

Reactions: Almighty1

uvulus1

Apr 17, 2010
Shot in the dark

Maybe try a hex editor.
Just a wild a$$ guess, shot in the dark from a total noob: back in mac os 9 and prior systems, there was a string of code in everything, "4E71" iirc, that was basically an on-off switch. Maybe there is a similar string that's common in android or in the vzw ROM that appears in the aforementioned sections that can simply be switched to disable the carrier lockout components? Sorry if this is a waste of keystrokes. Hope someone can make it work. The droid pro is the only recent phone that has the features I want.

freak4dell

Aug 10, 2008
Just a wild a$$ guess, shot in the dark from a total noob: back in mac os 9 and prior systems, there was a string of code in everything, "4E71" iirc, that was basically an on-off switch. Maybe there is a similar string that's common in android or in the vzw ROM that appears in the aforementioned sections that can simply be switched to disable the carrier lockout components? Sorry if this is a waste of keystrokes. Hope someone can make it work. The droid pro is the only recent phone that has the features I want.

The band unlock was released a while back. All you need is a rooted phone and some time. I don't think you can do the official update to Gingerbread and keep the band unlock, but people have figured out ways to upgrade to the Gingerbread kernel without losing it, thereby giving them the ability to use custom ROMs that are based on Gingerbread.

TimelesslyPrecise

Oct 13, 2010
SouthWest Florida
Yeah, look on the internet.. It's tbh team black hat carrier unlock for d2g.. I'm sure you will find it, it's all posted in one if the other forums
good luck

Sent from my ADR6300 using XDA App

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    That's too bad that a certain group decided to be greedy on this. I can understand charging that much if there was a guarantee of it working, but the secret should have been released for free with a disclaimer that they weren't responsible if you messed up your phone. I would even be happy to pay the $3 that they charge for their app in order to get access to the necessary files (which I find kind of off-putting, as well, since it kind of forces a donation, in a way).

Hopefully we'll see a free leak at some point, so those that are willing to take the risks themselves are free to do so.