Any Advice For an Audio Player (Local Files only)

Search This thread

JOSHSKORN

Oct 14, 2013
I have 1,000 CDs that I've ripped to my PC as WAV. They are basically all of the rock genre (Classic, hard rock, heavy metal, nu metal, 90s grunge, etc.), and because of that, I prefer lossless. I've tagged all of them to the Discogs database, using Foobar2000.

I use this same collection on my PC and also copied to the MicroSD of my Note 9, which I connect to my Kenwood DMX907S head unit through Wireless Android Auto.

The objective is to create several playlists based on tags. Also, I want to be able to normalize the sound, so that regardless of the quality of the recording, all tracks are equally as loud at their highest points within the tracks. For playing on PC, this can be easily done, using Foobar2000. From what I understand, there is an Android App for Foobar2000, but it was not nearly as developed as the PC version and therefore cannot create playlists based on the type of tags I'm looking to utilize.

Tags include:
  • Genre
  • Artist
  • Album
  • Date Added to Library
  • Possibly other custom tags (for instance, Live or Studio / Original or Cover)
Are there any Android Auto compatible music apps out there that can create these types of playlists using local files, such that they're compatible with Android Auto? ...AND can manage the sound levels as needed?

JOSHSKORN

Oct 14, 2013
I use Bubble upnp as I also use it to cast. Give it a look to see if it does everything you are interested in.
I added that app and am currently trying it. I'm noticing that all artists are listed as <Unknown>. Is this because when tagging, I used the %artist% tag instead of %album artist% ? Is there a way to adjust this in the app?

krilok

Although BubbleUPNP is an excellent DLNA media player, it doesn't support Android Auto and there are no plans to include it anytime soon (I requested the dev for this feature to be added and was told it was basically impossible unless the whole app was rewritten from scratch. That was a couple of years ago now, and unfortunately nothing's changed since).

For local music playback, I'm using 'Oto Music' from the Play Store. It's a very well designed music player with Replay Gain and full AA support, although I'm not too sure if regarding your playlists it could be what you're looking for... In any event, it's a free app and constantly gets upgrades and new features. ;)

Now you got me wondering. I use BubbleUPNP in the car all the time, but possibly only from my tablet via bluetooth. I thought it also worked from my phone via AA... I'll have to re-check that.
Use anyaudio app to get any music app in AA. And you need root and AA AIO TWEAKER to enable it.