General Any current Fold 3 users considering the Vivo X Fold?

Search This thread

domineus

Jun 16, 2007
Big update with my testing of the device so I'll go through my original list based on 72 hours with the x fold:

You can OEM Unlock the X Fold! I found the option and it is enabled. Now whether or not it is actually enabled is anyone's guess but seeing the option there (and by proxy developer options) is rather great.

You can still enable OEM unlock. And there's a thread floating around to describe how to unlock the bootloader for other vivo flagship devices. Essentially Android's default fastboot won't work. But using the one in the below thread may work (untested). That said you lose the incredible fingerprint sensor. So that's whack!

My hope is that once done (or whoever is brave enough) then some major development will occur.

Putting my sim in the device I received the error because I'm not in mainland china, 5g won't work. But I suspect strongly my 5g will work. Currently using UK sim (3).

Enable data if you haven't already. I didn't and I noticed I didn't have data. The data speeds matched what I was getting with my Samsung but I had to configure it that way. Which with Samsung it worked out of the box. Now because 3 sucks in my area (Scotland) it won't magically give me 5G. I'll test the telephone because the signal was weak. Technically the fault of 3 and not the fold.

Software. It's a lot to take in and absorb. Mainly the keyboard could use some work and the alternatives I haven't found a split keyboard so if anyone knows of one, provide a suggestion.
  1. You can also make the same argument for launchers available. Vivo stock launcher works, but there's a lot of swiping where you expect one action and you get a completely different action. Again it is probably due to using a chinese rom
  2. Similarly, there are some things that don't directly translate when language is set to english. It's an annoyance rather than a frustration but you get what you get. It's not a global rom
  3. Google Now feed I do miss. Again it's the muscle memory I was referring to in point 1
  4. Software is SMOOTH as butter. The fold isn't so smooth and that's an issue directly with Samsung based devices. Which is a shame.
Some of this is wrong actually. Thanks to ButterflyFlutterflyMyOhMy swiftkey is rather fantastic. The vivo launcher also comes with an app drawer but it needs to be configured to do so. While vivo has a left screen, it isn't Google now (and that's expected of course). Software remains to be smooth as butter. I was able to update some settings to speed up animations in Developer Options so it is so perceptibly fast it boggles the mind. Samsung is slow in comparison.

The translations are still pretty bad though. But again it's a Chinese rom. Also you can change the launcher but you have to register to vivo to do so. Really strange requirement but I typically run stock as there's no real launcher alternatives for foldables that replicate to the front screen as well as stock. If there were a google launcher port from 12L made for all devices I would give that a major go but I don't see that happening. Didn't happen for the fold 3 either...

The crease you can't really see it versus the fold 3 you can see and feel the crease.

Still hard to see the crease unless you tilt the device on axis.

There's a lot of bloat on the device. There's really no way around it and it'll take time to remove the bloat. I haven't tested rooting the device (yet) but I probably will at some point

You can remove the bloat through ADB. I highly recommend removing vivo.pem to really get notifications to work properly.

All in all? This is a device that almost demands tinkering in order to get it the way you want to get it. Samsung did as well but again it is based on philosophy.

Dalecious1

Jan 26, 2022
Big update with my testing of the device so I'll go through my original list based on 72 hours with the x fold:

You can still enable OEM unlock. And there's a thread floating around to describe how to unlock the bootloader for other vivo flagship devices. Essentially Android's default fastboot won't work. But using the one in the below thread may work (untested). That said you lose the incredible fingerprint sensor. So that's whack!

My hope is that once done (or whoever is brave enough) then some major development will occur.

Enable data if you haven't already. I didn't and I noticed I didn't have data. The data speeds matched what I was getting with my Samsung but I had to configure it that way. Which with Samsung it worked out of the box. Now because 3 sucks in my area (Scotland) it won't magically give me 5G. I'll test the telephone because the signal was weak. Technically the fault of 3 and not the fold.

Some of this is wrong actually. Thanks to ButterflyFlutterflyMyOhMy swiftkey is rather fantastic. The vivo launcher also comes with an app drawer but it needs to be configured to do so. While vivo has a left screen, it isn't Google now (and that's expected of course). Software remains to be smooth as butter. I was able to update some settings to speed up animations in Developer Options so it is so perceptibly fast it boggles the mind. Samsung is slow in comparison.

The translations are still pretty bad though. But again it's a Chinese rom. Also you can change the launcher but you have to register to vivo to do so. Really strange requirement but I typically run stock as there's no real launcher alternatives for foldables that replicate to the front screen as well as stock. If there were a google launcher port from 12L made for all devices I would give that a major go but I don't see that happening. Didn't happen for the fold 3 either...

You can remove the bloat through ADB. I highly recommend removing vivo.pem to really get notifications to work properly.

All in all? This is a device that almost demands tinkering in order to get it the way you want to get it. Samsung did as well but again it is based on philosophy.
Hi there!

One quick question. Can I use other camera apps like Google cam and mirror it on the outside cover on the vivo x fold? I don't really intend to use the stock camera that much. Your reply will be really appreciated. Thank you. 🙏

domineus

Jun 16, 2007
Hi there!

One quick question. Can I use other camera apps like Google cam and mirror it on the outside cover on the vivo x fold? I don't really intend to use the stock camera that much. Your reply will be really appreciated. Thank you. 🙏
I haven't tested it I would need to test but they didn't work on the fold 3

domineus

Jun 16, 2007
Yes pls. It's very important for me and your reply will be appreciated. Thank you.
Few things
To my surprise the snap version of gcam worked on the x fold. It was able to detect all cameras and take some compelling shots. My guess is that vivo uses the camera 2 libraries vs the fold 3 which isn't a shock.

However your expectations may be skewed concerning what a port (keyword) can do. Gcam wouldn't support those features (eg using the camera on front display as a mirror) until they have a device that supports it. And those features aren't exposed to the public (at least not yet). The camera does work on the front screen. You can open the device and the camera still works. But mirroring isn't a feature that's going to be implemented in a port if google hasn't exposed it. Even if it does I imagine it'll take some time to port that feature over. And given that the pixel fold is slated for q4 2022 and the developer is in the ukraine I'm not sure that the feature is a priority.

To me there's actually very little reason to use gcam on this device especially if your intent is to use OEM specific features. The camera app on the vivo x fold does all of that and then some. It's really surprised me at how seamless even switching cameras on the x fold default is much better compared to the gcam port. And that's actually expected. But at least one thing can be said compared to the fold 3

Least it works

But it doesn't work as well as on a native pixel device like the pixel 6 pro. Personal opinion? Stick to the default camera if you want those features. And if this is the deciding factor it makes no sense. Use the stock camera and you won't be disappointed

masterpier

Jan 3, 2009
anyone who says no is kinda being disingenuous or is afraid of change. I have went from Samsung to Oneplus, to Huawei and the Now The VIVO X Fold. Its a great phone.... with one.... flaw that I'm working on removing....
Which flaw are you dealing with. Have a fold 3 currently and front display is absolutely useless. Considering X Fold.

Dalecious1

Jan 26, 2022
Few things
To my surprise the snap version of gcam worked on the x fold. It was able to detect all cameras and take some compelling shots. My guess is that vivo uses the camera 2 libraries vs the fold 3 which isn't a shock.

However your expectations may be skewed concerning what a port (keyword) can do. Gcam wouldn't support those features (eg using the camera on front display as a mirror) until they have a device that supports it. And those features aren't exposed to the public (at least not yet). The camera does work on the front screen. You can open the device and the camera still works. But mirroring isn't a feature that's going to be implemented in a port if google hasn't exposed it. Even if it does I imagine it'll take some time to port that feature over. And given that the pixel fold is slated for q4 2022 and the developer is in the ukraine I'm not sure that the feature is a priority.

To me there's actually very little reason to use gcam on this device especially if your intent is to use OEM specific features. The camera app on the vivo x fold does all of that and then some. It's really surprised me at how seamless even switching cameras on the x fold default is much better compared to the gcam port. And that's actually expected. But at least one thing can be said compared to the fold 3

Least it works

But it doesn't work as well as on a native pixel device like the pixel 6 pro. Personal opinion? Stick to the default camera if you want those features. And if this is the deciding factor it makes no sense. Use the stock camera and you won't be disappointed
Very clear on that. Thank you very much.

domineus

Jun 16, 2007
Using third party messaging apps as the primary app. IE: Google messages for MMS, chat features work... Everything works... But I can't send messages from that app and when I receive messages... The stock app resets back to default to receive message
I've noticed that. I haven't really bothered with it but it sounds like a bug

carrieta17

Jan 1, 2008
Warning for thoee potential vivo fold USA users.. at least in att I'm having issues with the phone I can make and receive calls but as soon as I use data to browse internet I can't make calls anymore. I tried adding a data Sim to Sim 2 but at random times I would loose cell signal. There are mixed results from users and that might have to do with where you live and if att has shut down 3g towers and volte mess in the USA.. I'm taking the phone to att and see if they can help... any other att users oithere ? FYI I also tried Google fi and had very unreliable service in places where I would otherwise get great signal

Warning for thoee potential vivo fold USA users.. at least in att I'm having issues with the phone I can make and receive calls but as soon as I use data to browse internet I can't make calls anymore. I tried adding a data Sim to Sim 2 but at random times I would loose cell signal. There are mixed results from users and that might have to do with where you live and if att has shut down 3g towers and volte mess in the USA.. I'm taking the phone to att and see if they can help... any other att users oithere ? FYI I also tried Google fi and had very unreliable service in places where I would otherwise get great signal
Go into settings, Mobile Network, make sure everything is on, enable 5g, etc...

If that doesn't help (it will), but Go to the apn settings, find the bearer and select NR

carrieta17

Jan 1, 2008
Thanks for the help.. I went to the settings 5G was enabled, data roaming off. Changed to bearer to NR.. At the start all works ie data and LTE, but after a while I can only use data, when I try to make a call it ends immediately. I can send and receive mms.. Do you live in the US ? If so do you use ATT or T-Mobile ?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I love your Avatar ,i'm Deadpool ,fan I've been battling with mind numbing concrete pounding on ground is more productive search for ...Super Samsung Theme Deadpool Theme,(7.0.8.0) or newer if avail.for download
    So far walls of nope and endless ads
    Goog is coming up with fold Opo has one ? And Vivo has
    one now !!!! Didnt nokia or Haweii also have a fold when fist Galaxy fold finaly. Came to us two years after oficial launch and for twice as much$$
    So are the Oppo and Vivo &goog folds all at the trade your first born and you might get one for a monthes rent ona studio closet here in nor California?
    THANKS! I'm a cosplayer, and have a great Deadpool. It's hilarious to make fun of people, in a Deadpool appropriate way, and give them a laugh. The eyes can be switched out.
    Im in LA county.... Im getting 120 download, 60 upload
    I'm not sure if any software is gonna be as mature as Samsung's. Add to that the pen support is essential to me so probably no. I'm sticking to the Samsung folds for the time being
    What are Vivo like for track record for software updates? One of the major draws for me for the Fold3 is the 3+ years of updates.
    So device is in hand (it got delivered early) and these are my initial impressions:
    1. It's larger than the fold and that's evident on the cover screen. It actually feels like a phone rather than a cramped remote control
    2. It feels premium and while people complain it is heavier than the fold 3 I can't feel it that much. The weight is better distributed when the device is closed. Definitely the fold 3 feels lighter when it is open
    3. Materials are super premium. The vegan leather feels nice. But other parts of the device feel seamless as well. Definitely a premium device
    4. Fingerprint sensor is so fast. Day and night compared to the Pixel 6 Pro - actually Google should be ashamed.
    5. You can OEM Unlock the X Fold! I found the option and it is enabled. Now whether or not it is actually enabled is anyone's guess but seeing the option there (and by proxy developer options) is rather great.
    6. Putting my sim in the device I received the error because I'm not in mainland china, 5g won't work. But I suspect strongly my 5g will work. Currently using UK sim (3).
    7. Camera is actually rather good. There's tons of configuration I haven't gone through in totality. But the photos are much closer than you realize. Which is to say on the main sensor Samsung and Vivo are neck and neck. But in zoom and other categories, X Fold demolishes Samsung
    8. Software. It's a lot to take in and absorb. Mainly the keyboard could use some work and the alternatives I haven't found a split keyboard so if anyone knows of one, provide a suggestion.
      1. You can also make the same argument for launchers available. Vivo stock launcher works, but there's a lot of swiping where you expect one action and you get a completely different action. Again it is probably due to using a chinese rom
      2. Similarly, there are some things that don't directly translate when language is set to english. It's an annoyance rather than a frustration but you get what you get. It's not a global rom
      3. Google Now feed I do miss. Again it's the muscle memory I was referring to in point 1
      4. Software is SMOOTH as butter. The fold isn't so smooth and that's an issue directly with Samsung based devices. Which is a shame.
    9. Charging is fast. That is all. It's slightly above the 37 minute claim BUT it's very fast charging.
    10. The crease you can't really see it versus the fold 3 you can see and feel the crease.
    11. Dual SIM! I came from a US variant fold 3 which didn't have dual sim capabilities so seeing that in the x fold is a treat.
    12. Silence rocker! I see you Vivo - great idea.
    13. There's a lot of bloat on the device. There's really no way around it and it'll take time to remove the bloat. I haven't tested rooting the device (yet) but I probably will at some point
    14. There's something really satisfying about the tactile feel of the device and the opening and closing of the device. It's spectacular.
    15. Increasing the speed of animation in developer options are greyed out surprisingly. It is okay but such an odd choice especially since OEM unlocking isn't greyed out
    Those are my immediate thoughts. My major annoyances are the lack of split keyboard from third party alternatives and at the moment a launcher. HOWEVER if the bootloader can be unlocked (and at least I see OEM unlock there...) we could have some very fascinating options with any luck

Edit
    Googling yielded a ton of options. By default the font is rather big - decrease the font size and that's one huge pain point taken away. You can also have an app launcher too rather than the nano shortcuts that is on default.

Slowly getting through the os and finding it actually pleasing. There's some software concerns with third party apps but I would say this is SUPER EXCITING

You can OEM Unlock the X Fold! I found the option and it is enabled. Now whether or not it is actually enabled is anyone's guess but seeing the option there (and by proxy developer options) is rather great.

Putting my sim in the device I received the error because I'm not in mainland china, 5g won't work. But I suspect strongly my 5g will work. Currently using UK sim (3).

Software. It's a lot to take in and absorb. Mainly the keyboard could use some work and the alternatives I haven't found a split keyboard so if anyone knows of one, provide a suggestion.

The crease you can't really see it versus the fold 3 you can see and feel the crease.

There's a lot of bloat on the device. There's really no way around it and it'll take time to remove the bloat. I haven't tested rooting the device (yet) but I probably will at some point

Im in LA county.... Im getting 120 download, 60 upload