General Any current Fold 3 users considering the Vivo X Fold?

Search This thread

Flame Red

Thank you for all the info on the X-Fold.

The only thing is I noticed that the X-Fold seems to hover around $1900 from all the retailers in Hong Kong. I only paid about $900 or so from the Fold 3 with other accessories thrown in the deal. I am sure the X-Fold price will come down eventually but it would be hard for me to pay double the cost of what I paid for the Fold 3.

Based on the roomers on the Fold 4, Samsung best step up their game a LOT! Now Samsung has formable competition. I doubt I will cough up another $900 for the Fold 4 unless Samsung really steps up but I doubt they will as the features were already locked. I might go for the X-Fold if they get the price below $1k.

bigfire

Feb 25, 2004
Without the trade in, buying from Samsung is $1799 (which is the same as the Vivo). Of course, you can get sales, and from Amazon, the phone for $900 renewed (I've gotten one of those before and it was great). You're right that we don't get to take similar advantages of sales (such as renwed) over here, so we can't take advantage of those sales. When the Fold 4 comes out, it'll be a similar purchase experience - i.e., yu can sell your current phone and buy the Vivo for about the same price as the Fold 3. If you're willing to wait six months, the renewed price becomes a lot more attractive.

It is a stupid amount of money for a phone, but man, I really do want a wider outside screen!

Leykis

Jan 27, 2011
Currently using the ZF3 and thought about getting the Vivo X but I don't know if I can live without things like DEX, Samsung Pay, S-Pen and IP68.

白い熊

Aug 29, 2011
相撲道
I am considering it - for me the key is root. Now there seems to be conflicting info on OEM Unlock - some users say there is such an option in Settings. After that root should be possible.

Any users here that have it made any progress on that front?

I've posted in the Vivo forum asking about root on it...

RR-99

Nov 11, 2012
Well I've had a good offer for my Fold 3, and the Fold 4 doesn't really do it for me apart from the better camera. So I've taken the plunge and ordered the X Fold from Giztop. Can't wait to get it!

RR-99

Nov 11, 2012
For those who bought the X Fold from Giztop. Did it come with the Chinese language set or already on English? Was is difficult to change the language?

RR-99

Nov 11, 2012
Great to see there is now an X Fold board, with lots of data. Thanks xda!

Q-Prof

Feb 21, 2011
Vivo X Fold
For those who bought the X Fold from Giztop. Did it come with the Chinese language set or already on English? Was is difficult to change the language?
I have read from users here in our XDA forum, Vivo X Fold area, that they open the box and set-it up for English users with Goggle Play by default. If you want to do it yourself let him, send them a message to leave the box sealed. You will need a translator to go through the initial menu settings to start your own setup.

Fore warning though for those from Canada, the voice calling communication protocol VoLTE does't work with Canadian carriers, as Vivo did not license/certify (pay them), so check with your carrier first, as the only other voice calling protocol that will work is with, is 3G.

Last edited:
Reactions: force70

domineus

Jun 16, 2007
I am considering it - for me the key is root. Now there seems to be conflicting info on OEM Unlock - some users say there is such an option in Settings. After that root should be possible.

Any users here that have it made any progress on that front?

I've posted in the Vivo forum asking about root on it...

Bad. Shouldn't have asked about that.

The hole for OEM unlocking is gone because the OEM unlock was initiated through a race condition. If you can downgrade your firmware you can probably still get it but it has proven to be tricky.

That said I got it with root. And I root with every single update

RR-99

Nov 11, 2012
Just to say, I got my X fold a few hours ago. The quality of construction makes my Fold3 look cheap! The screen when open is entirely flat. The crease is almost non existent. And when closed up there is no gap between the screens like the Fold3. I'm loving this phone!. I put in two SIMs, and SIM1 came up right away with 5G (EE in UK).
The software is going to be a challenge but TBH after many Samsungs when you just smart copied one directly over to the next that got a bit boring. This is going to be fun!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I'm not sure if any software is gonna be as mature as Samsung's. Add to that the pen support is essential to me so probably no. I'm sticking to the Samsung folds for the time being
    Big update with my testing of the device so I'll go through my original list based on 72 hours with the x fold:

You can OEM Unlock the X Fold! I found the option and it is enabled. Now whether or not it is actually enabled is anyone's guess but seeing the option there (and by proxy developer options) is rather great.

You can still enable OEM unlock. And there's a thread floating around to describe how to unlock the bootloader for other vivo flagship devices. Essentially Android's default fastboot won't work. But using the one in the below thread may work (untested). That said you lose the incredible fingerprint sensor. So that's whack!

My hope is that once done (or whoever is brave enough) then some major development will occur.

Putting my sim in the device I received the error because I'm not in mainland china, 5g won't work. But I suspect strongly my 5g will work. Currently using UK sim (3).

Enable data if you haven't already. I didn't and I noticed I didn't have data. The data speeds matched what I was getting with my Samsung but I had to configure it that way. Which with Samsung it worked out of the box. Now because 3 sucks in my area (Scotland) it won't magically give me 5G. I'll test the telephone because the signal was weak. Technically the fault of 3 and not the fold.

Software. It's a lot to take in and absorb. Mainly the keyboard could use some work and the alternatives I haven't found a split keyboard so if anyone knows of one, provide a suggestion.
    1. You can also make the same argument for launchers available. Vivo stock launcher works, but there's a lot of swiping where you expect one action and you get a completely different action. Again it is probably due to using a chinese rom
    2. Similarly, there are some things that don't directly translate when language is set to english. It's an annoyance rather than a frustration but you get what you get. It's not a global rom
    3. Google Now feed I do miss. Again it's the muscle memory I was referring to in point 1
    4. Software is SMOOTH as butter. The fold isn't so smooth and that's an issue directly with Samsung based devices. Which is a shame.
    Some of this is wrong actually. Thanks to ButterflyFlutterflyMyOhMy swiftkey is rather fantastic. The vivo launcher also comes with an app drawer but it needs to be configured to do so. While vivo has a left screen, it isn't Google now (and that's expected of course). Software remains to be smooth as butter. I was able to update some settings to speed up animations in Developer Options so it is so perceptibly fast it boggles the mind. Samsung is slow in comparison.

The translations are still pretty bad though. But again it's a Chinese rom. Also you can change the launcher but you have to register to vivo to do so. Really strange requirement but I typically run stock as there's no real launcher alternatives for foldables that replicate to the front screen as well as stock. If there were a google launcher port from 12L made for all devices I would give that a major go but I don't see that happening. Didn't happen for the fold 3 either...

The crease you can't really see it versus the fold 3 you can see and feel the crease.

Still hard to see the crease unless you tilt the device on axis.

There's a lot of bloat on the device. There's really no way around it and it'll take time to remove the bloat. I haven't tested rooting the device (yet) but I probably will at some point

You can remove the bloat through ADB. I highly recommend removing vivo.pem to really get notifications to work properly.

All in all? This is a device that almost demands tinkering in order to get it the way you want to get it. Samsung did as well but again it is based on philosophy.
    What are Vivo like for track record for software updates? One of the major draws for me for the Fold3 is the 3+ years of updates.
    So device is in hand (it got delivered early) and these are my initial impressions:
    1. It's larger than the fold and that's evident on the cover screen. It actually feels like a phone rather than a cramped remote control
    2. It feels premium and while people complain it is heavier than the fold 3 I can't feel it that much. The weight is better distributed when the device is closed. Definitely the fold 3 feels lighter when it is open
    3. Materials are super premium. The vegan leather feels nice. But other parts of the device feel seamless as well. Definitely a premium device
    4. Fingerprint sensor is so fast. Day and night compared to the Pixel 6 Pro - actually Google should be ashamed.
    5. You can OEM Unlock the X Fold! I found the option and it is enabled. Now whether or not it is actually enabled is anyone's guess but seeing the option there (and by proxy developer options) is rather great.
    6. Putting my sim in the device I received the error because I'm not in mainland china, 5g won't work. But I suspect strongly my 5g will work. Currently using UK sim (3).
    7. Camera is actually rather good. There's tons of configuration I haven't gone through in totality. But the photos are much closer than you realize. Which is to say on the main sensor Samsung and Vivo are neck and neck. But in zoom and other categories, X Fold demolishes Samsung
    8. Software. It's a lot to take in and absorb. Mainly the keyboard could use some work and the alternatives I haven't found a split keyboard so if anyone knows of one, provide a suggestion.
      1. You can also make the same argument for launchers available. Vivo stock launcher works, but there's a lot of swiping where you expect one action and you get a completely different action. Again it is probably due to using a chinese rom
      2. Similarly, there are some things that don't directly translate when language is set to english. It's an annoyance rather than a frustration but you get what you get. It's not a global rom
      3. Google Now feed I do miss. Again it's the muscle memory I was referring to in point 1
      4. Software is SMOOTH as butter. The fold isn't so smooth and that's an issue directly with Samsung based devices. Which is a shame.
    9. Charging is fast. That is all. It's slightly above the 37 minute claim BUT it's very fast charging.
    10. The crease you can't really see it versus the fold 3 you can see and feel the crease.
    11. Dual SIM! I came from a US variant fold 3 which didn't have dual sim capabilities so seeing that in the x fold is a treat.
    12. Silence rocker! I see you Vivo - great idea.
    13. There's a lot of bloat on the device. There's really no way around it and it'll take time to remove the bloat. I haven't tested rooting the device (yet) but I probably will at some point
    14. There's something really satisfying about the tactile feel of the device and the opening and closing of the device. It's spectacular.
    15. Increasing the speed of animation in developer options are greyed out surprisingly. It is okay but such an odd choice especially since OEM unlocking isn't greyed out
    Those are my immediate thoughts. My major annoyances are the lack of split keyboard from third party alternatives and at the moment a launcher. HOWEVER if the bootloader can be unlocked (and at least I see OEM unlock there...) we could have some very fascinating options with any luck

Edit
    Googling yielded a ton of options. By default the font is rather big - decrease the font size and that's one huge pain point taken away. You can also have an app launcher too rather than the nano shortcuts that is on default.

Slowly getting through the os and finding it actually pleasing. There's some software concerns with third party apps but I would say this is SUPER EXCITING
    Isn't the Vivo X Fold a re-branded Oppo Find N?