Any custom ROMs that support VoLTE?

Search This thread

mon0theist

I'm running rooted stock 30b (US998), and it's been running solid for years until lately. Now it seems it's starting to lag and slow down to the point of near unusability.

Want to try using a custom ROM to see if that will alleviate the issue, but due to my carrier (MVNO of T-Mo), I need VoLTE. Normally LineageOS is my go-to, but the 19.1 build doesn't support VoLTE and it says it probably never will.

I see other ROMs as well, but if they're all AOSP/LineageOS based, then can I safely assume they won't support VoLTE either? Or are there any custom ROMs out there for the V30 that DO support VoLTE?

VoWiFi would also be nice

Thanks

schwinn8

Aug 12, 2010
Somewhere in Connecticut
As far as I've seen, no custom ROM supports VOLTE on this phone. Maybe other phones have it, but not this one. There was a "reward" post for someone finding a way to get it working, but it never happened.

I've heard issues with Pie ROMs on this phone, as the released version wasn't done very well. I might suggest going back to US998 Oreo as this may resolve the issues for you.

mon0theist

As far as I've seen, no custom ROM supports VOLTE on this phone. Maybe other phones have it, but not this one. There was a "reward" post for someone finding a way to get it working, but it never happened.

I've heard issues with Pie ROMs on this phone, as the released version wasn't done very well. I might suggest going back to US998 Oreo as this may resolve the issues for you.
Okay good to know, thanks

ChazzMatt

Recognized Contributor
Nov 30, 2010
Atlanta, Georgia
I'm running rooted stock 30b (US998), and it's been running solid for years until lately. Now it seems it's starting to lag and slow down to the point of near unusability.

Want to try using a custom ROM to see if that will alleviate the issue, but due to my carrier (MVNO of T-Mo), I need VoLTE. Normally LineageOS is my go-to, but the 19.1 build doesn't support VoLTE and it says it probably never will.

I see other ROMs as well, but if they're all AOSP/LineageOS based, then can I safely assume they won't support VoLTE either? Or are there any custom ROMs out there for the V30 that DO support VoLTE?

Thanks

Not for custom ROMs. In fact that's why we created this other thread that by 2022 all U.S. owners of V30 would have to go back to stock ROM -- due to 3G bands (CDMA & HSPA going away and VoLTE being necessary for phone calls with carrier numbers. You can ROOT the stock ROM to still modify stuff, but only stock ROM allows VoLTE.

All U.S. V30/V3O+/V30S will need stock firmware, not LOS-based custom ROMs. When?

All U.S. V30/V3O+/V30S will need stock firmware, not LOS-based custom ROMs. When?
3G CDMA and HSPA is going away. U.S. users will NEED VoLTE and/or Wi-Fi calling for carrier phone calls. V30 LOS-based ROMs do not have that and will never have that.

I started that thread back in mid-2020 to warn people in plenty of time. AT&T, Verizon and T-Mobile (which includes former Sprint) delayed their timelines a little but still the admonition is true. Users in other countries that still have 3G in addition to LTE can use custom ROMs.

The caveat to that is unless you are using a VoIP phone number (which uses data) -- like Google Voice -- and don't need carrier based phone calls. But most people only use carrier calls.

Last edited:
Reactions: mon0theist

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Thanks

Not for custom ROMs. In fact that's why we created this other thread that by 2022 all U.S. owners of V30 would have to go back to stock ROM -- due to 3G bands (CDMA & HSPA going away and VoLTE being necessary for phone calls with carrier numbers. You can ROOT the stock ROM to still modify stuff, but only stock ROM allows VoLTE.

3G CDMA and HSPA is going away. U.S. users will NEED VoLTE and/or Wi-Fi calling for carrier phone calls. V30 LOS-based ROMs do not have that and will never have that.

I started that thread back in mid-2020 to warn people in plenty of time. AT&T, Verizon and T-Mobile (which includes former Sprint) delayed their timelines a little but still the admonition is true. Users in other countries that still have 3G in addition to LTE can use custom ROMs.

The caveat to that is unless you are using a VoIP phone number (which uses data) -- like Google Voice -- and don't need carrier based phone calls. But most people only use carrier calls.