Any good App or ROM capable of displaying signal strength in dBm on status bar?

Search This thread

LSS4181

Mar 13, 2012
Google Pixel C
Razer Phone 2
Honestly, when I was still on some older phones I loved the feature that could display signal strength dBm on status bar, which existed since CyanogenMod (CM7, maybe even earlier). It gives me a better understanding about the surrounding signal quality, rather than some unhelpful signal bars.

For example, when I used to be on a 2G network, sometimes a signal as low as -80 dBm would result in a slow or even unusable web experience, despite that it still appears full for signal bars. (From what I remember, things perform good when the signal is at -60s, with -51 being the highest. Those values all appear as a full signal bar, which makes it meaningless)

However, it seems all recent custom ROMs (LOS, RR, AOKP, etc.) ceased providing this feature (while still allowing customizations for battery icons), not to mention useful solutions (both Apps and ROMs) were virtually nonexistent and even after googling I couldn't get any valuable answers (most of those were years ago and not applicable to the recent Android versions nor dual-SIM devices). Maybe the dual-SIM nature of our devices (like Z00A) is what kept us from having such feature as dual-SIM implementations differ among manufacturers and/or among architectures.

There are some apps available on Play Store for such, but I found none that could support dual-SIM universally. They mainly either only display values for the first SIM, or Wi-Fi signal strength, or crash in case of it being incompatible. Back then with another dual-SIM phone using KitKat, I even tried NetStrength Xposed module. Its duostack looked beautiful (showing the dBm of the first SIM and Wi-fi strength below it if available), but it still can only support one SIM card and there were fewer activities than before and no mentions of Nougat support yet (even though unofficial Xposed Framework for Nougat has been released, just it would cause the device to fail Safety Net tests, including the systemless version).

So I really wish for a reliable solution that could bring back the signal dBm display on the status bar, and for both SIM cards at best.

Reactions: MindArchr

LSS4181

Mar 13, 2012
Google Pixel C
Razer Phone 2
Since there is no data support on sim2, you really only need it for sim1

Sent from my ASUS_Z00AD using Tapatalk

Maybe yes, but the problem is, ROMs ceased to have built-in support for dBm display even if it's just for the active data SIM. (Even up to Jelly Bean both CM and AOKP have such features)

Technically it's possible to switch the SIM card to be used for LTE (i.e. you can set SIM2 for 4G and SIM1 for 2G if wanted). However, I couldn't find the switch in AOKP settings, but Stock may have this capability. So maybe it's more like you'll need those value for the SIM you're using the data from, rather than just SIM1.

By the way, with CMTE (Theme Chooser) it was always possible to theme the battery icon into showing percentages for ROMs that don't natively support such back then, apparently by creating at least 100 icons, one for for each percent state, plus charging and such. Many good CM themes were capable of this. I dunno if the same can be achieved dBm / ASU wise, though I have found virtually nothing about this part even back then.

Reactions: MindArchr

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Honestly, when I was still on some older phones I loved the feature that could display signal strength dBm on status bar, which existed since CyanogenMod (CM7, maybe even earlier). It gives me a better understanding about the surrounding signal quality, rather than some unhelpful signal bars.

For example, when I used to be on a 2G network, sometimes a signal as low as -80 dBm would result in a slow or even unusable web experience, despite that it still appears full for signal bars. (From what I remember, things perform good when the signal is at -60s, with -51 being the highest. Those values all appear as a full signal bar, which makes it meaningless)

However, it seems all recent custom ROMs (LOS, RR, AOKP, etc.) ceased providing this feature (while still allowing customizations for battery icons), not to mention useful solutions (both Apps and ROMs) were virtually nonexistent and even after googling I couldn't get any valuable answers (most of those were years ago and not applicable to the recent Android versions nor dual-SIM devices). Maybe the dual-SIM nature of our devices (like Z00A) is what kept us from having such feature as dual-SIM implementations differ among manufacturers and/or among architectures.

There are some apps available on Play Store for such, but I found none that could support dual-SIM universally. They mainly either only display values for the first SIM, or Wi-Fi signal strength, or crash in case of it being incompatible. Back then with another dual-SIM phone using KitKat, I even tried NetStrength Xposed module. Its duostack looked beautiful (showing the dBm of the first SIM and Wi-fi strength below it if available), but it still can only support one SIM card and there were fewer activities than before and no mentions of Nougat support yet (even though unofficial Xposed Framework for Nougat has been released, just it would cause the device to fail Safety Net tests, including the systemless version).

So I really wish for a reliable solution that could bring back the signal dBm display on the status bar, and for both SIM cards at best.
    Since there is no data support on sim2, you really only need it for sim1

Sent from my ASUS_Z00AD using Tapatalk

Maybe yes, but the problem is, ROMs ceased to have built-in support for dBm display even if it's just for the active data SIM. (Even up to Jelly Bean both CM and AOKP have such features)

Technically it's possible to switch the SIM card to be used for LTE (i.e. you can set SIM2 for 4G and SIM1 for 2G if wanted). However, I couldn't find the switch in AOKP settings, but Stock may have this capability. So maybe it's more like you'll need those value for the SIM you're using the data from, rather than just SIM1.

By the way, with CMTE (Theme Chooser) it was always possible to theme the battery icon into showing percentages for ROMs that don't natively support such back then, apparently by creating at least 100 icons, one for for each percent state, plus charging and such. Many good CM themes were capable of this. I dunno if the same can be achieved dBm / ASU wise, though I have found virtually nothing about this part even back then.
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone