Any HDMI adapter for 6P?

Search This thread

mikek753

Sep 24, 2013
hi,

Can 6P output video over USB-C?
Can generic USB C-type cable to HDMI be used?
Any other specific for 6P adapter can be used for HDMI wired output?

No, I don't need / want chromecast or miracast or etc wi-fi streaming.

thanks.

mikek753

Sep 24, 2013
The 6P supports WiFi Direct, so I would suggest you go that route if at all possible. You may need to get a Miracast dongle for your flat panel display of projector.

I need HDMI for my car Appradio HU
I thought that if 6P has type-C than it will have hdmi over it ... or hope it'll have it

heleos

Jun 30, 2010
I need HDMI for my car Appradio HU
I thought that if 6P has type-C than it will have hdmi over it ... or hope it'll have it
During the reddit AMA they said it would not output hdmi. I also didn't think about this when ordering (i have an appradio hu as well)

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Smallsmx3

Jul 28, 2010
I think because it's still USB 2.0 that it can't output via HDMI. On another note don't waste your time with a miracast dongle. I'm pretty sure Google dropped support for that to exclusively use Chromecast. IMHO I feel it's leaps and bounds better than miracast anyway and you can still mirror your phone

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

mikek753

Sep 24, 2013
I think because it's still USB 2.0 that it can't output via HDMI. On another note don't waste your time with a miracast dongle. I'm pretty sure Google dropped support for that to exclusively use Chromecast. IMHO I feel it's leaps and bounds better than miracast anyway and you can still mirror your phone

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

HDMI works just fine over USB2, it's MHL or SlimPort that extracts video/audio from phone microUSB port. I don't know details how it works, but that I use for my S3 with MHL adapter to feed HDMI input.

CYoung234

Feb 8, 2010
Villarrica, Paraguay
The specs say specifically WiFi Direct, which is what Miracast uses as the transport, so Miracast should work. It works well with my Nexus 7, and the Nexus 4, 5 and 10 work as well. The Motorola Nexus 6 did not support WiFi Direct. If Chromecast supports mirroring to the USB port of a flat panel or projector to display the output of the phone or tablet screen for PowerPoint, AutoCAD, etc, then great. At least in the past, that was not the case.

Last edited:

Apr 18, 2008
If Chromecast supports mirroring to the USB port of a flat panel or projector to display the output of the phone or tablet screen for PowerPoint, AutoCAD, etc, then great. At least in the past, that was not the case.
thats... not how chromecast works. receiving device needs something (chromecast, roku, fire stick) that supports the chromecast protocol (cast method). from there, you can mirror (cast) your device screen or chrome tab.

as far as using a miracast dongle goes, i believe it's the same principle as chromecast. you won't get display through the USB port of your device. the dongle has to connect through some video throughput (usually HDMI). most (if not all) display-only devices do not have the capability to accept display through a USB port.

omf05

Dec 13, 2012
I don't understand why it doesn't support hdmi output. The s6 doesn't either. I don't want use chromecast because i use my unlimited data plan to stream movies. That's only thing i'm jelly of the iphone right now.

Apr 18, 2008
I don't understand why it doesn't support hdmi output. The s6 doesn't either. I don't want use chromecast because i use my unlimited data plan to stream movies. That's only thing i'm jelly of the iphone right now.

what does having UDP and steaming movies have to do with CC? are you saying you want to steam movies from your phone to your device? there are apps that do this, including ES File Manager. if you're traveling, you'll need two devices to set up the CC to use your hotspot, but short of that, CC should work great for your needs.

mikek753

Sep 24, 2013
everyone has different use case
for me I need that phone output video over HDMI input of my car radio (Appradio)
and I'd like to have it over cable
in my case streaming over wi-fi comes with annoying latency - that's delay between car touchscreen action and video display as reaction
for me it isn't about movie streaming, but GPS and other car related apps

Pig Vomit

Aug 20, 2008
Orange County, California
for me I need that phone output video over HDMI input of my car radio (Appradio)
in my case streaming over wi-fi comes with annoying latency - that's delay between car touchscreen action and video display as reaction

This.

I thought I could live without root and ARUnchained so that Android Pay would work easily, and just get by with screen mirroring without touch interface on the head unit. Since Marshmallow, I haven't rooted and I've just been mirroring my N5 through SlimPort. I don't know that I can get by like this after being so used to full interface. And I imagine that the lag on Chromecast would be highly annoying. I'm quite disappointed there is no HDMI output on 6P, but I'm getting it anyway.

CYoung234

Feb 8, 2010
Villarrica, Paraguay
thats... not how chromecast works. receiving device needs something (chromecast, roku, fire stick) that supports the chromecast protocol (cast method). from there, you can mirror (cast) your device screen or chrome tab.

as far as using a miracast dongle goes, i believe it's the same principle as chromecast. you won't get display through the USB port of your device. the dongle has to connect through some video throughput (usually HDMI). most (if not all) display-only devices do not have the capability to accept display through a USB port.

Oops, you are right. I said USB, but meant HDMI. For my Actiontec dongle, you use the USB port to power it, but the HDMI port for the video / audio.

MrKal_El

Feb 27, 2013
I'll be honest... I see almost no lag Casting my N5 screen of a 1080p Youtube clip to Chromecast 2.

It actually surprised the hell out of me that the quality of the cast was much better than choosing the same video through the YouTube app for Chromecast

Aircraft800

Nov 4, 2010
This.

I thought I could live without root and ARUnchained so that Android Pay would work easily, and just get by with screen mirroring without touch interface on the head unit. Since Marshmallow, I haven't rooted and I've just been mirroring my N5 through SlimPort. I don't know that I can get by like this after being so used to full interface. And I imagine that the lag on Chromecast would be highly annoying. I'm quite disappointed there is no HDMI output on 6P, but I'm getting it anyway.

Crap! What do we do now? I also use ARUnchained with my AppRadio 3. Just got my 6P today.

400ixl

Jul 27, 2006
Norwich
OnePlus 6T
Google Pixel 6 Pro

I use the 6P via miracast to my AppRadio and the lag is non existant. The Nexus 5 struggled a bit but the 6P doesn't. This is using a Microsoft Wireless adapter.

Assuming you have supported the ARU developer, then join the Alpha group and he has a version that automates the connection process for Miracast / Chromecast. I have also posted in the ARUR thread how to get the screen to dim down to nothing.

---------- Post added at 03:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:29 PM ----------

Mainly because TV technology has moved on and the technology to stream is in most of those now. Very few phones will support MHL or Slimport going forwards, if any at all within a year.

Last edited:

ea1958

Nov 15, 2015
I would not have bought the Nexus 6P if I'd known that it did not support HDMI out. No doubt about it.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Why do they sell an hdmi adapter on the Google store then?

Sent from my N1 using XDA Free mobile app

For the Pixel chromebook.

I use the 6P via miracast to my AppRadio and the lag is non existant. The Nexus 5 struggled a bit but the 6P doesn't. This is using a Microsoft Wireless adapter.

Assuming you have supported the ARU developer, then join the Alpha group and he has a version that automates the connection process for Miracast / Chromecast. I have also posted in the ARUR thread how to get the screen to dim down to nothing.

---------- Post added at 03:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:29 PM ----------

Mainly because TV technology has moved on and the technology to stream is in most of those now. Very few phones will support MHL or Slimport going forwards, if any at all within a year.
    You realize that Chromecast is EXACTLY that.... it's a method for taking what is on your smartphone and putting it on a dumb display device. It's not anything beyond that. It costs about the same as a good quality HDMI cable (which is important not just because of data transmission, but for preventing damage to ports on devices). It's a glorified wireless HDMI device for $35. I haven't used chromecast 2 personally, but I know the device itself is faster than my chromecast 1. On Chromecast 1, there's approximately 400 ms of lag on mirroring across 2 rooms with walls in between the router and both the chromecast and source device. That's less than half a second. It's "noticeable" as anything over 200 ms is technically noticeable by the human eye, but for anything other than gaming, should not affect the real-life use whatsoever. For the person who made a comment about "GPS use in real-time in the car", bluetooth connections typically have more than 400 ms delay unless you have a headunit that costs more than $1500 and actually splurged on a high performance bluetooth chip/radio/antenna. Appradio 2 and 3 do accept their audio over the HDMI connection, however, so you're not introducing the latency to the audio, but using ARU, your touch screen control is done via bluetooth as far as I am aware, and the latency would be added to that. Regardless, using a chromecast 2 should alleviate any of this, because the device is faster and offers better performance. So many people are complaining about the removal of something that, at this point, are not necessary.
    Chromecast is configured to communicate using Google´s DNS servers of 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4, however, the firewall at the place I'm trying to use Chromecast prevents using any DNS server other than the ones specified (for content filtering.) The only way I can get through the firewall is if my Chromecast could be setup to use the DNS as specified by the DHCP server. Chromecast 1 does not have this setting. That's why a cable connection is preferred for my use case.

Does anyone know if the DNS settings of the latest Chromecast can be changed?

---------- Post added at 12:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:54 AM ----------

I applaud your passion for wired a/v out; however, as people have pointed out, and you continued to ignore, times and times again, this is NOT an oversight by Google. If anything, it's Google's effort to move away from legacy standards and uphold new ones. Wireless connectivity is on the rise and will eventually replace your precious HDMI cables. Try a Chromecast 2 for yourself, and you'll that the technology, while still not fully matured, is definitely miles ahead of where it was a year ago.

It's time to move on from cables.
    Your comment is so narrow minded. Wireless is not as reliable as a wired connection. If you have to present to a group and you don't know what kind of firewall and content filtering is set up, a wired connection is preferred. Chromecast is configured to communicate using Google´s DNS servers of 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4. Recently, I had to present to a group and the firewall at the meeting place prevents using any DNS server other than the ones specified (for content filtering.) As a result, my Chromecast could not connect -- an embarrassing situation. The only way I could get through the firewall is if my Chromecast could be setup to use the DNS as specified by the DHCP server. Chromecast 1 does not have this setting. That's why a cable connection is preferred for my use case. Comments like yours provide no help to anyone.

Does anyone know if the DNS settings of the latest Chromecast can be changed?
    hey guys, how would you feel about a USB c to hdmi adapter that offered mirroring with zero lag? the price would be $30, which includes a cable
    6p does not output hdmi

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Why do they sell an hdmi adapter on the Google store then?

Sent from my N1 using XDA Free mobile app