• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Question Any idea if 12.0 rom has better thermals than the 12.5 roms?

Search This thread

lambstone

Mar 27, 2008
Huawei P20 Pro
Redmi K20 Pro
Has anyone compared if the 12.0 releases have better thermal performance as compared to the 12.5 release?

My K20Pro running on 12.0 is much cooler than my 11Ultra running 12.5. Sure, people have been saying that the snapdragon 888 runs hot but at the same time I've been seeing reports that other devices include the Redmi Note series are also experiencing heat issues after updating to 12.5.

lambstone

Mar 27, 2008
Huawei P20 Pro
Redmi K20 Pro
What is your room temp?
Room temp doesn't matter, not when it comes to the 11Ultra. With AC on at a comfy 24C as opposed to just a fan with a room temp of 29C its still the same heating issues just a matter of the ramp up time for heat.

I felt the same way. I used it for 2 days with 12.0.9 when i got the mi11ultra and i didnt feel the heat. When i updated to 12.5 e felt it.
wondering if its possible to downgrade without bootloader unlocked?
Damn, so its much better on 12.0.9? I'm going to flash 12.0.9 this weekend. AFAIK, downgrading either way will require a wipe and I think you'll need to unlock BL either way.

hellodrsoul

Jul 9, 2011
Xiaomi Mi 11 Ultra
May be not what you are looking for, I rooted the phone for CustoMIUIzer tweak. I also installed Franco kernal and there I underclocked the kernal CPU by 25% (75% working) and optimized its GPU. This has dramatically improved the thermals and battery performance. Idle temp of the phone drops to 25C regularly. For the past one day, it has not reached 37C when doing routine browsing, calling and texting etc. The temp jumped to 40C during HD video playback, and once to 41C while playing angry birds. During quick charging at high ambient temp, it touched 44C once. Normally with the Mi quick wireless charger (80W), the temp variates between 40-43C.
Im yet to notice the anticipated drop in performance of the phone. For routine games and HD video playback, 75% performance of this beast is enough so far. It is as smooth as it is supposed to be.

Last edited:
Reactions: xwonic

speedtripler

Aug 24, 2013
May be not what you are looking for, I rooted the phone for CustoMIUIzer tweak. I also installed Franco kernal and there I underclocked the kernal CPU by 25% (75% working) and optimized its GPU. This has dramatically improved the thermals and battery performance. Idle temp of the phone drops to 25C regularly. For the past one day, it has not reached 37C when doing routine browsing, calling and texting etc. The temp jumped to 40C during HD video playback, and once to 41C while playing angry birds. During quick charging at high ambient temp, it touched 44C once. Normally with the Mi quick wireless charger (80W), the temp variates between 40-43C.
Im yet to notice the anticipated drop in performance of the phone. For routine games and HD video playback, 75% performance of this beast is enough so far. It is as smooth as it is supposed to be.
Buy the fastest most expensive cpu on the market and then cripple it!?

You could have just bought a mid ranger and saved a pile of money.....

Reactions: xNAPx

hellodrsoul

Jul 9, 2011
Xiaomi Mi 11 Ultra

According to my daily use of the phone, I do not need the full processor power. Seventy-five percent power is enough for that. For some long tasks, such as reading a lengthy pdf or google maps on a road trip, even 50% CPU power may be enough, granting enhanced battery performance and heat management. For the most intensive tasks, I can restore it to its original might (or even overclock it for that matter) just by toggling a switch, if that shall be desired. Options are good to have. A software fix and aggressive management of heat officially by Xiaomi, the point here by OP, will be welcomed of course.

xwonic

Feb 27, 2011
POCO M3

actually a snap865 is really really fast and more then capable of running everything except gamming in comparison, and if you don't game high 3d games then you don't need the full power of the snap888 which is 25% faster.
I actually paid 850€ for mostly the camera and the media comfort, so i have to agree with hellodrsoul, if your main goal is have a phone for this purposed(no hardcore gaming) then capping it is a good thing,

also yeah Xiaomi is lacking in the optimization department.
on March everyone was stating in news about the mi 11 ultra

World’s First Full Phase Change Heat Dissipation Technology​

either it sucks or xiaomi software team is at blame.

Reactions: hellodrsoul

speedtripler

Aug 24, 2013
According to my daily use of the phone, I do not need the full processor power. Seventy-five percent power is enough for that. For some long tasks, such as reading a lengthy pdf or google maps on a road trip, even 50% CPU power may be enough, granting enhanced battery performance and heat management. For the most intensive tasks, I can restore it to its original might (or even overclock it for that matter) just by toggling a switch, if that shall be desired. Options are good to have. A software fix and aggressive management of heat officially by Xiaomi, the point here by OP, will be welcomed of course.
The CPU is smart enough to not run at 100% when it's not necessary......

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

actually a snap865 is really really fast and more then capable of running everything except gamming in comparison, and if you don't game high 3d games then you don't need the full power of the snap888 which is 25% faster.
    I actually paid 850€ for mostly the camera and the media comfort, so i have to agree with hellodrsoul, if your main goal is have a phone for this purposed(no hardcore gaming) then capping it is a good thing,

also yeah Xiaomi is lacking in the optimization department.
    on March everyone was stating in news about the mi 11 ultra

World’s First Full Phase Change Heat Dissipation Technology​

either it sucks or xiaomi software team is at blame.