• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Any Idea on root/unlocked booatloader?

Search This thread

fuadhdmini

Oct 16, 2010
Xiaomi Mi 10
Google Pixel 5

ManoharMaddineni

Aug 3, 2013
Vijayawada
Hopefully LG does a mass unlock allowance with their unlock tool near the end of the 2 year support life of the Wing and their other phones

I also would reallllllly like if a few Devs for things like keyboards especially, would at least cook in the Wing 2nd screen SDK into their boards to support the small number of us
Really hope LG does this at the end of 2 years. A petition, somewhere LG would notice would really help I think.
(PS. They already released the kernel sources for the Wing: http://opensource.lge.com/osSch/list?types=ALL&search=LMF100 )
As for the 2nd screen SDK, I think there will be some sort of support (albeit buggy and unoptimized) to allow apps to auto-stretch to additional screens as foldable phones become more widespread

Got one of these devices in hand today thanks to work, a Verizon device.. If you have no OEM Unlock in Developer Settings, then you have to hope for an exploit to gain root or GSI possibilities. I might try to buy this off my boss, as I wanted this phone anyway, but if there's no way to root/rom, i won't be interested.

I have a background in sometimes cracking these things and finding a way, but as of right now, this one doesn't look like anything I'd try would work

kaluna00

Mar 24, 2011
Tacoma
I would love to see root on this device also.
It's also really good to hear that some folks with rooting know-how are interested in this device also!

kaluna00

Mar 24, 2011
Tacoma

Progress (Kaptain, I know you already know, but for others browsing). I hope they release the Verizon kdz soon.

Last edited:

Progress (Kaptain, I know you already know, but for others browsing). I hope they release the Verizon kdz soon.

They have. I'll be uploading it here once it finishes downloading to my work PC.

been messing with this some more tonight... its amazing what you can do with modified APK's and adb commands

Still no unlock :/ I got to Fastbootd, but my device WILL NOT boot to bootloader to run fastboot commands, only recovery and fastbootd -- anyone else experience this?

Also on further inspection, I entered the service menu under Android 11 and found "Bootloader Unlock Check Test" and discovered "Bootloader unlock does not support device"

Last edited:

Leronex_1

May 6, 2019
AT&T LG G6
LG G8
So first of all, the chance of lg offering a bootloader unlock ESPECIALLY for the wing and ESPECIALLY for US variants is like 0.000001%, since the LG Dev website where the bootloader unlocks are given shuts down end of this year.
So the other option would be a engineering bootloader and a firehose to access EDL.
-OEM Unlock only allows "OEM" commands like "fastboot oem unlock" or "fastboot flash unlock unlock.bin" to unlock the bootloader.
-Fastbootd is not able to unlock the bootloader, if there will be a engineering bootloader, we will have to flash the bootloader (abl.img) from a european firmware to access normal Fastboot and not fastbootd.

• Haha
Reactions: Mr.PvT
So first of all, the chance of lg offering a bootloader unlock ESPECIALLY for the wing and ESPECIALLY for US variants is like 0.000001%, since the LG Dev website where the bootloader unlocks are given shuts down end of this year.
So the other option would be a engineering bootloader and a firehose to access EDL.
-OEM Unlock only allows "OEM" commands like "fastboot oem unlock" or "fastboot flash unlock unlock.bin" to unlock the bootloader.
-Fastbootd is not able to unlock the bootloader, if there will be a engineering bootloader, we will have to flash the bootloader (abl.img) from a european firmware to access normal Fastboot and not fastbootd.

OEM Unlock can be entirely useless actually. Take the tcl 10 pro for example. it has oem unlock and normal fastboot, BUT there's no bootloader unlock commands even possible, no oem commands, nothing

Leronex_1

May 6, 2019
AT&T LG G6
LG G8
OEM Unlock can be entirely useless actually. Take the tcl 10 pro for example. it has oem unlock and normal fastboot, BUT there's no bootloader unlock commands even possible, no oem commands, nothing
it is entirely useless, oem unlock can be turned on by flashing* any other frp partition from a phone that has it enabled.
Also, you probably mean fastbootd, since it is missing unlock binaries .

*even on a locked bootloader

it is entirely useless, oem unlock can be turned on by flashing* any other frp partition from a phone that has it enabled.
Also, you probably mean fastbootd, since it is missing unlock binaries .

*even on a locked bootloader

Nope, I know what modes I'm in lol I co-own a micro electronic repair shop and I'm in charge of all things android and windows. TCL 10 Pro's have NO OEM fastboot codes. Its entirely possible for a company to remove that stuff. That was my point. Even if you can enable OEM Unlock, that doesn't mean there's a way. Some samsung's have OEM Unlock, but bootloader unlocks haven't been possible on US based devices without exploit since like the Galaxy S8/Galaxy Tab 2018

mercuris

Aug 20, 2007
i just got the phone today appears to be rooted and unlocked bootloader

Attachments

• IMG_20211206_172819.jpg
    IMG_20211206_172819.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 69
  • IMG_20211206_172854.jpg
    IMG_20211206_172854.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 69
  • IMG_20211206_172902.jpg
    IMG_20211206_172902.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 69

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I also have an oem unlock toggle option. I have a tmobile version, but I am using a mint mobile sim in it and it works just fine without ever having to use the tmobile unlock app (somehow).

That being said bim getting ready to see If I can get adb to recognize my phone in a sec. I'll let y'all know if I figure out anything to unlocking the bootloader. Wish me luck.

Edit:

Update: Here are some instructions to unlock LGs bootloader. Figured I'd leave this here for others to see if they're eligible.

Hopefully LG does a mass unlock allowance with their unlock tool near the end of the 2 year support life of the Wing and their other phones

I also would reallllllly like if a few Devs for things like keyboards especially, would at least cook in the Wing 2nd screen SDK into their boards to support the small number of us
    Really hope LG does this at the end of 2 years. A petition, somewhere LG would notice would really help I think.
    (PS. They already released the kernel sources for the Wing: http://opensource.lge.com/osSch/list?types=ALL&search=LMF100 )
    As for the 2nd screen SDK, I think there will be some sort of support (albeit buggy and unoptimized) to allow apps to auto-stretch to additional screens as foldable phones become more widespread
    Got one of these devices in hand today thanks to work, a Verizon device.. If you have no OEM Unlock in Developer Settings, then you have to hope for an exploit to gain root or GSI possibilities. I might try to buy this off my boss, as I wanted this phone anyway, but if there's no way to root/rom, i won't be interested.

I have a background in sometimes cracking these things and finding a way, but as of right now, this one doesn't look like anything I'd try would work
    Nothing is happening with this phone until the Bootloader is unlocked as currently fastbootd doesn't allow anything to be done that I could find. Hopefully LG does a mass unlock allowance with their unlock tool near the end of the 2 year support life of the Wing and their other phones, or someone who fancy's finding a way to unlock it themselves grabs a Wing and takes up the challenge.

While I used to need Root for a few things, these days I am pretty much only wanting it for full Titanium Backups and the occasional tinker. For now though, I was actually able to transfer and do everything I needed without root while setting up my Wing and so far, things are going pretty good considering LG's past. This current OS/Launcher are rather good and leaving me much less wanting and more enjoying using a phone again as something fun and different and I couldn't be happier.

I do hope a bootloader unlock does arrive sometime in the future, and I also would reallllllly like if a few Devs for things like keyboards especially, would at least cook in the Wing 2nd screen SDK into their boards to support the small number of us, but overall this thing is still one heck of a device and is vastly better than bending plastic screens IMO.