Any Launcher, No Root (Launcher Hijack V4)

Search This thread

keenan316

Dec 3, 2009
Xiaomi Poco X3 NFC
If anyone can help me see where I'm going wrong I would really appreciate it..

I have a FireTV 4K 1st gen running FireOS 5.2.7.3

I have successfully managed to ADB to the FireTV over ethernet and installed both:

• Leanback Launcher
• Launcher Hijack 4

I ran both of these commands over ADB..

"adb shell settings put secure enabled_accessibility_services com.baronkiko.launcherhijack/com.baronkiko.launcherhijack.AccServ"

"adb shell settings put secure accessibility_enabled 1"

Both execute fine without any errors, however Launcher Hijack does not launch by itself on the FireTV.

When I launch it I still get an error "Accessibility Service Disabled"

I have tried to open and turn off Screen Magnifier, rebooted and tried again but still get the same error.

Am I missing something?

mic1986

Dec 15, 2010
Silesia
www.mediarecovery.pl
If anyone can help me see where I'm going wrong I would really appreciate it..

I have a FireTV 4K 1st gen running FireOS 5.2.7.3

I have successfully managed to ADB to the FireTV over ethernet and installed both:

• Leanback Launcher
• Launcher Hijack 4

I ran both of these commands over ADB..

"adb shell settings put secure enabled_accessibility_services com.baronkiko.launcherhijack/com.baronkiko.launcherhijack.AccServ"

"adb shell settings put secure accessibility_enabled 1"

Both execute fine without any errors, however Launcher Hijack does not launch by itself on the FireTV.

When I launch it I still get an error "Accessibility Service Disabled"

I have tried to open and turn off Screen Magnifier, rebooted and tried again but still get the same error.

Am I missing something?

Hi.

Same here. Did you find any solution?
Cheers!

mojavaid36

Apr 5, 2009
got this to work on Fire HD 8 8th Gen by using the following ADB commands and the repackaged apk

Code:
adb shell settings get secure enabled_accessibility_services

Copy the output from the above command and paste it into the command below
Code:
adb shell settings put secure enabled_accessibility_services (PASTE_HERE):com.baronkiko.launcherhijack/com.baronkiko.launcherhijack.AccServ

you will also have to run
Code:
adb shell pm grant com.baronkiko.launcherhijack android.permission.SYSTEM_ALERT_WINDOW

---------- Post added at 12:57 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:56 AM ----------

got this to work on Fire HD 8 8th Gen by using the following ADB commands and the repackaged apk

Code:

Code:
adb shell settings put secure enabled_accessibility_services (PASTE_HERE):com.baronkiko.launcherhijack/com.baronkiko.launcherhijack.AccServ

Code:
adb shell pm grant com.baronkiko.launcherhijack android.permission.SYSTEM_ALERT_WINDOW

---------- Post added at 01:35 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:57 AM ----------

Code:

Code:

Code:

---------- Post added at 12:57 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:56 AM ----------

Code:

Code:

Code:

actually much better solution here

https://xdaforums.com/hd8-hd10/development/official-amazon-fire-toolbox-v1-0-t3889604

Reactions: Gast2
Dec 13, 2019
Still not working

This solution looked interesting, but I get this error after entering the last command:

Operation not allowed: java.lang.SecurityException: Can't change android.permission.SYSTEM_ALERT_WINDOW. It is required by the application

And the net result is no change, still a big long, annoying pause on the Fire launcher home screen before switching to Nova Launcher.

Jabbitt

Mar 5, 2011
The Amazon Toolkit has the solution of downgrading the Fire Launcher and doing some tinkering but unfortunately, this gets reset if you turn off your tablet.

Unless someone does some active research, I guess we're stuck with the five second pause for good now.

Sent from my KFDOWI using Tapatalk

Jabbitt

Mar 5, 2011
I decided to bite the bullet and have a go at rooting my Kindle Fire HD8 (Douglas). I got a few things wrong and ended up having to take the tablet apart to apply the trick of shorting out two pin connections.

However, I successfully got TWRP installed and I tried both Lineage-12.1 and SlimLP. Whilst both were quite fast and snappy at first, they regularly locked up and I had to wait for the system to become responsive again.

After a week of trying both of the custom roms, I decided to go back to stock and just live with the awful Fire Launcher. Unfortunately, the script for resetting my tablet to stock didn't work. With a bit of research I discovered that the stock image files straight from Amazon are flashable in TWRP!

So, I installed stock Amazon, Magisk (to give me full root) and Titanium Backup. Once it was all up and running, I used Titanium Backup to freeze the FireOS launcher (called Homepages). Homepages must take up a lot of system resources because now I'm on Nova Launcher, the tablet seems faster and more responsive. The only downside to all of this seems to be that the battery life has been reduced.

CuF

Aug 29, 2015
Can anyone explain some of the settings to me and when it is appropriate to use them?
"Launcher open detection", "Broadcast receiver detection", "Overlay detection" have me stumped.

MleB02

Apr 17, 2020
Toronto
Fire OS 7 on Fire 8 (8th Generation) Tablet w/ Launcher Hijack

Amazon has recently dropped their OS 7 (Android 9 - Pie, w/ their 'tweaks') for their 'older' tablets and, tempting fate, I went for it yesterday.

Fear of losing access to Hijack file (as per posting #395 - FreakyyLike) a real concern - less so Google, because there are FireOS 7-friendly files available - but it's upgrade seemed to go off okay. This update had to be manually done (the device's 'System Updates' didn't find it automatically- so updates found on the Amazon Fire Tablet Help site - a list of OS and applicable devices) - downloaded, moved into the Fire's main storage, then run from 'System Update'.

Their Launcher really does make an effort to be the default (and it hides Launcher Hijack when it does), but I think I've (mostly) returned to functionality here. Using Nova Launcher here and - FWIW - Google's files as previously installed in April all seem to be working, too.

Early days yet as to improvements seen in their version of Pie, but so thankful for Launcher Hijack - and not having to do the whole 'connect to a computer to make tweaks' thing, here.

Last edited:

edwardxi

Jan 17, 2011
fire 10 9th doesn't work
can't select the Nova Launcher within Hijack app, the option is grey, can't click "ok" to confirm...

tonino2424

Account currently disabled
Apr 7, 2018
Usa
meettomy.site
Hi Guys,

Great wedsite for android users. I am hoping someone could kindly give me a step by step instructions on how to setup nova launcher so I can use it has my home page so I can install apps that I want to see. This is what I have done so far.

Step 1. Installed nova launcher on my fire tablet 10.
Step 2. Tried installing hijacklauncher and amazon fire blocked it.
Step 3. I used clone app to to rename hijacklauncher to new hijacklauncher and cloned it.
Step 4. Installed new hijacklauncher

At this point is where i need help. If someone could do that i would greatly appreciate it.

TYVM

PS i am using amazon fire 10.

---------- Post added at 12:02 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:02 AM ----------

Hi Guys,

Great wedsite for android users. I am hoping someone could kindly give me a step by step instructions on how to setup nova launcher so I can use it has my home page so I can install apps that I want to see. This is what I have done so far.

Step 1. Installed nova launcher on my fire tablet 10.
Step 2. Tried installing hijacklauncher and amazon fire blocked it.
Step 3. I used clone app to to rename hijacklauncher to new hijacklauncher and cloned it.
Step 4. Installed new hijacklauncher

At this point is where i need help. If someone could do that i would greatly appreciate it.

TYVM

PS i am using amazon fire 10.

sli4

Dec 25, 2012
I unfortunately bought a banned firestick. This has helped me to make it somewhat useable but because I can't get through the initial set up the fireOS setup it just beeps/chirps in the background every 30 seconds or so while using the launcher. Is there anyway to bounce back to the set up so that pressing "home" will sync the remote and this will stop?
It will do this every time the fire stick restarts because it doesn't ever pass the update screen before starting.

Bonzey2416

Oct 14, 2022
Can you find a version of Launcher Hijack that runs on Kindle Fire HD 7 (2012) running Fire OS 7.5.1, which is based on Android 4.0.3 (API 15)? I want to replace the default launcher with Nova Launcher 3.3.

Attachments

• D169F928-A13A-4CBD-9C59-D3034581158C.jpeg
    D169F928-A13A-4CBD-9C59-D3034581158C.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 97

urbanman2004

Sep 16, 2013
Rock Town
Yo @BaronKiko, I was watching YouTube and came across this video where I noticed my logo (as in your app) was being used. Been watching ETA Prime's channel for the past 4-5 years so it's an honor that your app (as in my logo) is getting some recognition. S/o to you for the opportunity. I'm sure it'll be months before you see this since I know you tend to stay off the grid much. Until next time, talk to you real soon...

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Launcher Hijack V4
    Allows a custom launcher on Amazon Kindle Fire's and Fire TV's

An early, insert seasonally appropriate celebration here, present from me. Adds support for Fire TV devices and the new Fire Tablets. Enjoy.

Please find instructions for use here (https://github.com/BaronKiko/LauncherHijack/blob/master/HELP.md#fire-tablets). Adb required for first time setup on Fire TV's.
    Find the latest release here (https://github.com/BaronKiko/LauncherHijack/releases). I'm working on Aptoide and F-Droid releases for those that prefer those methods. Hopefully in the next few days.
    If you want to look at my rushed and sloppy code then feel free to look here (https://github.com/BaronKiko/LauncherHijack)
    Please send any issues here (https://github.com/BaronKiko/LauncherHijack/issues)
    Feeling kind and want to donate? Find instructions here (https://github.com/BaronKiko/LauncherHijack/blob/master/README.md#donations)

Huge thanks to ParrotGeek1, Speeddymon and Urbanman2004.
    • ParrotGeek1 made V1 and without him I would have never started this project.
    • Speeddymon donated a 2018 Fire TV allowing me to implement Fire TV support. If you have a Fire TV you should thank him
    • Urbanman2004 created the lovely logo/app icon. Be sure to thank him too.

Finally I don't really check these forums often anymore so please head over to the github page and post there if you are having any issues. Usually I am pretty quick to respond there.

Edit/Update history:
    [Edit 24/02/17]
    Fixed links, sorted grammar

[Update 21/03/17]
    Version 2.1 released, improves speed and reliability of the application so should be a good update for all. Thanks to ParrotGeek once again for the tip on how to improve it.

[Edit 11/07/17]
    Sick of people complaining about the same issues so I added some troubleshooting steps and specific instructions for google now.

[Update 27/07/17]
    Version 3 released
    Old blurb, removed:
    I'm here to announce my latest project, Launcher Hijack V2.
    This uses the same exploit as Launcher Hijack V1, by parrotgeek1, but allows you to select any launcher of your choice. If I find time I intend to implement further features but for now that's all you get :p

[Update 12/07/18]
    Issue with the new update
    Comment about using github to report issues.

[Update 10/12/18]
    Version 4 released
    Most post info moved to GitHub

[Updated 25/03/19]
    Version 4.0.3 released
    Comes with a new logo
    Care to share the modified apk? Like others, I lack the tools and knowledge to rename the app in Android Studio. A link to the fixed APK would be extremely helpful.

Thanks.

I modified the apk, works fine again on my Fire HD8(2017).
    Make sure you deinstall the old App. Go into Settings>Apps>All>Swipe to the right till all and search your old App. Then install the new Apk.

Download: https://www.mediafire.com/file/kqa89yndk468itf/Launcher.Hijack.v.4.0.3.b.43.Clone.apk/file

Update:Users reported that the Deinstallation is maybe optional. Try it first without! :)
    V3 released, keep me posted on any issues you may have.
    I happened three times in the hour installed. I didn't have previous version installed. Sounds like a clean install to me. So sure, he can wait for other reports.

I don't like the flash of the stock launcher, coupled with getting thrown to the recents menu, I choose not to keep it installed. This also means I dont have another launcher installed. So I won't install it all again unless I have a reason to believe something will be different .

Edit: reinstalled 2.1, verified 2.1 in settings. Installed nova. Took 5 minutes to reproduce. Landed in recents menu.

Edit again: just happened again after that post exiting XDA app.

So I worked out how to reproduce it on my device but it's still pretty difficult to trigger. As I can tell it does so after you open a new app that takes significant resources as your launcher gets killed in the background. Now I can somewhat reproduce it I will likely add a slow mode to make it more consistent but it requires more that plans. If I manage to come up with some sort of solution I will post the update here.
    First of all, THANK YOU for this great tool.

Someone mentioned earlier in the thread that Apex launcher works well, having little to no FireOs flicker, and I'm just confirming that. I had been using Nova launcher for a couple of weeks and was seeing a lot of flicker. I decided to try Apex and since theming it and setting it up, I've not seen hide nor hair of FireOs. Apex does have an advanced option to keep it in memory, maybe that's why. Or maybe it's just about launch times. In any case, I'm a very happy user.

Thanks again.