any news on root?

Search This thread

the_dealer

Dec 22, 2014
So those of us without the option to unlock the bootloader in dev options, does that mean we're screwed for getting root? Screenshot_20190406-102504_Settings.jpg

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Reactions: jobhax

vonDubenshire

Feb 10, 2018
USA
Samsung Galaxy Tab S2
LG Nexus 5X
Your phone is US variant. So your bootloader cannot be unlocked. So it doesn't 100% mean you're screwed for root, but probably like 99%. At least, you won't be able to root through Magisk.
Basically Samsung would have to give us bootloader unlock keys or something.

And they aren't thinking about that unless we could get ice universe or someone to bring it to their attention.

dr4go

Dec 17, 2010
Vienna
I know, I'm wondering too. I think that once it's figured out on the Exynos version, the next step is to port it and make it work, as the structure of the various systems (I don't know them) that have to be tempered with is likely the same but on different hardware. I don't think it would be very hard for John to do, but I'm afraid he probably won't bother with the Snapdragon version, leaving the port for someone else to figure out.

Edit: I'm saying it'll have to be ported because I read that the solution to make Magisk work was to install its own custom bootloader, and as far as I can tell bootloaders always need to be device specific. With that said, maybe it's easy enough to port. I don't know. Maybe I could use my old phone to do some tests when I have time and see if I can port versions of TWRP for it without bricking it. If that works, maybe I'll try it with my own S10+ too.

After some "data gathering" for the last exciting days I've finally decided to keep the G973F. Time to open the box tonight mainly due to the fact, that more development is (already) going on for the international variant. Yes, I hate Samsung for not simply ditching their Exynos series (lol), but what can you do... Very excited to see and use the phone.
You were also right with the device specific things... from what I've read you're already stuck before flashing the file in Odin on Qualcomm devices. What's more also the released twrp is only for Exynos devices... So yeah..... Right decision to pick the G973F. ?

jonathanfv

Nov 25, 2013
After some "data gathering" for the last exciting days I've finally decided to keep the G973F. Time to open the box tonight mainly due to the fact, that more development is (already) going on for the international variant. Yes, I hate Samsung for not simply ditching their Exynos series (lol), but what can you do... Very excited to see and use the phone.
You were also right with the device specific things... from what I've read you're already stuck before flashing the file in Odin on Qualcomm devices. What's more also the released twrp is only for Exynos devices... So yeah..... Right decision to pick the G973F.

Enjoy your new phone! It's a really cool little machine no matter the chipset. For the Odin flashing thing, some users said it worked for them, but they couldn't boot to recovery. I don't think we're 100% sure right now it doesn't work on Snapdragon, so I'm going to give it a shot next month when I have time (unless more people try and it's demonstrable that it really doesn't work). But you certainly will have more development for your device anyway.

Reactions: dr4go

xwizit

Aug 11, 2010
i see that root is available, im guessing this is only for exynos right?

have snapdragon 855 unlockable HK variant readyyyyy and waiting <3

nodymoha

Oct 16, 2012
A small question before I start the procedure of rooting.

I know that rooting would eventually trip KNOX. Would tripping it reject Samsung DeX from working?
since KNOX 3.2 already had included an APIs for DeX environment.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Okay, so I'm posting this to confirm: the bootloader on SM-G9750 is absolutely unlockable. I just did it. Huge thanks to @warking for pointing out the need for the USB drivers. Here were the steps (before taking those steps, make sure to back everything up):

1. Go to Settings/About phone/Software information, and tap on build number until developer mode is activated
    2. Go to Settings, scroll all the way down to Developer options, and toggle OEM unlocking. It will issue a warning telling you security features might not work. If you want to keep going, then unlock it anyway.
    3. Still in developer mode, activate USB debugging.
    4. On a Windows PC, install Samsung's Android USB driver for Windows. You can download it from this official link: https://developer.samsung.com/galaxy/others/android-usb-driver-for-windows
    5. Next you have to reboot in download mode. In order to do that, shut your phone down and boot again holding volume down, Bixby and power keys. Make sure your phone is connected to your computer through USB. Here's a note: the first time I tried to boot to download mode, it didn't work, it just booted normally. I needed to fist boot to recovery and then use the option to reboot to bootloader in order to be able to directly boot to download mode afterwards. If that is your case, you boot to recovery by shutting down your phone and then powering it up holding power, Bixby and volume up keys. Alternatively, you can use USB debugging to make your phone reboot to recovery through the command "adb reboot recovery" from the SDK Platform Tools. Also note that for me, I only got to "proper" download mode from using the keys to power my phone up. It wouldn't go to proper download mode if I went from recovery or from adb command. And your phone has to be connected to your computer when you do it.
    6. If you entered proper download mode, you will see a screen with a big "WARNING" about installing custom OSes. You have three options. Click volume up once to continue to regular download mode. Click and hold the volume up key to unlock your bootloader. And click volume down to cancel and restart. Obviously, you'll want to long press the volume up key.
    7. Once you do that, and other screen pops up asking you if you really want to unlock the bootloader, saying that it will wipe your personal data. From what I read, it's not supposed to wipe out SD cards, but I didn't take a chance and pulled mine out before going through the process. If you're okay with that, press volume up. Your phone will reboot, and a black screen I failed to photograph will pop up saying that your system is insecure (or something like that) and needs to wipe your data. It says to press the power key to continue. If you don't press the key, it will reboot again anyway and wipe your data on its own, so you don't really have anything to do from there on. It's simply going to be like a factory reset.
    8. If you go to Settings/Developer options, your OEM unlocking option should be greyed out, and underneath it should be written "Bootloader already unlocked".

That's it. Your Snapdragon S10 series phone now has an unlocked bootloader. It probably looks much the same as for the Exynos variant, but it goes to show that SM-G9750 (Hong Kong and Chinese) models can have their bootloaders unlocked. I do think that depending on the amount of development you need, SM-G97x0 are excellent models to get, and I hope that more people will get them and work on them.

Note: Some other sites say you need to toggle OEM unlocking in developer mode, then remove your Samsung account, then install CROM and use it to unlock your bootloader. This does not work. Don't waste your time with it. Also, certain sites report that Samsung has a security feature that makes it so that people have to wait one week before being able to unlock their bootloader after having toggled OEM unlocking. This was not my case, but it could be the case for others. I don't know at this point. But keep that in mind.
    Can someone please gove me reason why root is still so important?

Viper4Android
    Tasker with full functionality
    Titanium Backup
    Call recording in case Google disables it again
    Dual SIM+MicroSD functionality
    True adblock
    Nandroid Backup
    Dude. It's. A. Phone.

LOL

Man, these marketing departments are amazing, convincing people that a phone is a way of life. :)

You are wrong.

It's a tool.

It is more than that. It's an enormous set of tools.

When my wife and mother got cancer (at the same time unbelievably) and I had to act as quick and as organized as possible, I realized that this isn't just a phone.

Having the tools to:
    Record calls and later on listen at any time to complicated instructions at length
    Buy plain tickets on the move
    Scan documents and make them into pdf files
    Send these documents
    Carry with you all the MRI and other scans in your phone memory and have them handy if /when needed
    Ability to put them on USB sticks
    View every lab result immediately in your screen
    File and keep them in order
    Record conversations in the doctors offices with lengthy instructions and names of medications and procedures
    Make and keep with you hotel reservations
    Manage/make bank and credit card payments, history, track of things all on the go and remotely from everywhere in the world
    Keeping up with the business over my email accounts at the same time
    Viewing and editing documents and spreadsheets
    Seeing my children on Skype when in a hospital in the other end of the world and letting them see their mom
    Do you want me to go on?

I'm NEVER going to use unrooted device.

Because root not only gives you some of these options which aren't possible without it

It helps you use your phone quicker, with more precise setup and additional tools and automation like for instance GMD Gesture Control or Tasker, or titanium backup, which help me do things perhaps 10 times faster than the average user of the same device.

Please, understand that there are people who depend and count on these "tool sets", which are a great product OF and FOR evolution.
    from what I've read you're already stuck before flashing the file in Odin on Qualcomm devices.
    Well the US snap yes, you can't unlock bootloader. For HK snap at least for me I was able to flash the file in Odin just fine, I just couldn't boot to recovery to finish, so I just flashed back to OG
    It's an entire phone culture of root kiddies out there convinced that a few tweaks with root are necessary.

Yeah, that's what I am getting out of this...

Several years back when Android was still new, the manufacturers didn't know what to do with it and it was a mess, and Root was often the only way to get the phone sorted and working as it should have worked out of the box.

Hasn't been that way for... half a decade? Now it's just a couple nerds that either suffer from OCD and just HAVE to have a given font or color on their LTE logo... because that really makes for a better phone... LOL

Or they just want to brag to the 0.001% of users who still care about root...

I can't think of a single thing that I need, that most new phones don't do out of the box...

Themes? Check.
    Icon packs? Check.
    Wifi tethering? Check
    Launchers? Check

You know every conversation with them is, "Yeah man, I rooted and hacked my phone and made it MY way, it is just sooo much better than anything out there"...

Meanwhile, it's a stupid phone, not a lifestyle. You call people. You text them. You check email, order a pizza, listen to music and watch Netflix... Those guys spend more time messing with the phone than they do USING it. I keep asking people what they actually need Root to accomplish, and nobody has really been able to answer that... haha