• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Any possible unlock for the Fire TV Stick 4K Max?

Search This thread

JackOfOwls

Sep 25, 2015
You get 20% discount + 3,-

Yes, I must admit I was confused by the email Amazon sent me when I applied for the 20% discount off my Firestick 4K max purchase of` $37 after taxes. Still am lol

Clipboard01.jpg

Especially that last part. But $3 trade-in credit certainly wouldn't be worth it to return my old stick so thanks for clearing that up

Michajin

Oct 23, 2012
Thanks for the info and the link. well, I got my Firestick 4K Max today and it runs so much better than my old 2nd gen non-4K stick. However, I am disgusted (as many others seems to be) that the new FireOS takes up more than a gig of precious internal storage than the old 2nd generation stick used. They should have at least increased internal storage. I was planning on installing the update disabler but foolishly booted my new stick up immediately to make sure it wasn't defective and was rewarded with an update first thing before even entering Wi-Fi or amazon account data. There's goes another half gig of storage :\ I'm down to just 3.5 GB and barely installed any apps. Can you or anyone recommend a good debloater so i can get some of that space back? Otherwise I really like the new stick. It's everything I expected it to be outside the stingy internal storage.

One other thing: Amazon said they'd give you a 20% trade-in on your old stick but after I filled out the info, they send me a promisary emaill for what appears to be only $3 (!) when they receive the old stick. That can't be right, can it?
With a OTG you can add storage very easily and format it as internal (no special mods). Mine applied the 20% when i bought it and gave me $3 when they received it.

JackOfOwls

Sep 25, 2015
With a OTG you can add storage very easily and format it as internal (no special mods). Mine applied the 20% when i bought it and gave me $3 when they received it.
Yeah, I bought a 2-pack of OTG cables with powered mico-USB along with the stick just for this purpose though I'm not a fan of having additional cables hanging off a device that's designed for its compactness but there are worst inconveinces in life. Regarding the 20% trade-in, I wonder why Amazon charged me full price at check-out and gave the discount immediately to others.

evil_santa

Jan 14, 2020
just a little, unfortunately I could not scan the board properly because the focus of the scanner is insufficient.
I couldn't find the dat0 point yet, but vcc and vccq. I will stay tuned but if I have made progress I will let you know.

Btw.
is it possible to get into the u boot console? I found this maybe it is useful.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211205-165822-139.png
    Screenshot_20211205-165822-139.png
    2.8 MB · Views: 82
Last edited:

Sus_i

Apr 9, 2013
just a little, unfortunately I could not scan the board properly because the focus of the scanner is insufficient.
I couldn't find the dat0 point yet, but vcc and vccq. I will stay tuned but if I have made progress I will let you know.
Thank you :)
Could be that DAT0, CLK and CMD is somewhere on the other side, near the SOC, hopefully.
Here is a picture from the old 4k stick, wont help you ofc, a pita to find the spots ;)
fire-tv-stick-4k-mantis-jpg.5366231

Source:

Btw.
is it possible to get into the u boot console? I found this maybe it is useful.
I don't think so, maybe @k4y0z can say something about it...

k4y0z

Nov 27, 2015
Thank you :)
Could be that DAT0, CLK and CMD is somewhere on the other side, near the SOC, hopefully.
Here is a picture from the old 4k stick, wont help you ofc, a pita to find the spots ;)
fire-tv-stick-4k-mantis-jpg.5366231

Source:

I don't think so, maybe @k4y0z can say something about it...

U-Boot isn't used on these devices (even though some call the partition uboot). They use LK

Reactions: niggonet and Sus_i
Thanks for the info and the link. well, I got my Firestick 4K Max today and it runs so much better than my old 2nd gen non-4K stick. However, I am disgusted (as many others seems to be) that the new FireOS takes up more than a gig of precious internal storage than the old 2nd generation stick used. They should have at least increased internal storage. I was planning on installing the update disabler but foolishly booted my new stick up immediately to make sure it wasn't defective and was rewarded with an update first thing before even entering Wi-Fi or amazon account data. There's goes another half gig of storage :\ I'm down to just 3.5 GB and barely installed any apps. Can you or anyone recommend a good debloater so i can get some of that space back? Otherwise I really like the new stick. It's everything I expected it to be outside the stingy internal storage.
In the same boat. got my new 4k MAX and it updated before anything else. have you found a solution to debloat? thank you

paulotex

Oct 27, 2009
Oxford
Volunteering to help if necessary.

I don't have much hw skills, but I am a C/C++ programmer, so I am ok with low level programming and debugging. Linux and macOS ok, my Windows laptop is for work and the BIOS is locked, so not much help there. I am a beginner in android programming, although I have rooted a few android phones in the past.

[Rant: I have my 4K Max for a month now and I have been growing more and more frustrated with the lack of GAAP tools there, specially the Google Play Store. I use Aptoid TV, but that is not really enough. The last straw was yesterday, where my "HBO Portugal" app stopped working because it needs an update, and the version on Aptoid is not recent enough.]

Top Liked Posts