Any possible unlock for the Fire TV Stick 4K Max 1st Gen?

Search This thread

evil_santa

Jan 14, 2020
Inside my emmc 😜
unfortunately no progress, but I bought new equipment for 1000€. Microscope, soldering station, bga rework station, measuring devices, etc.
in my last attempt to find the dat0 pin on the PCB I damaged the trace.
I have to repair it first, which was impossible without a microscope.
In the meantime I have found another good way to contact the dat0 point on the eMMC.
Click
I'll let you know when I finally have time for them. I'm sorry 😔

Last edited:

Skel40

Dec 27, 2019
Moto G 5G
unfortunately no progress, but I bought new equipment for 1000€. Microscope, soldering station, bga rework station, measuring devices, etc.
in my last attempt to find the dat0 pin on the PCB I damaged the trace.
I have to repair it first, which was impossible without a microscope.
In the meantime I have found another good way to contact the dat0 point on the eMMC.
Click
I'll let you know when I finally have time for them. I'm sorry 😔
No worries!! We appreciate you taking the time with scanning the board and giving us updates

evil_santa

Jan 14, 2020
Inside my emmc 😜
Long time no see, but good news finished to find all necessary points to contacting the emmc.
When I have time in the future I will try to root it.
But whit this information you can try yourself.

Attachments

• 20220925-171229-520.jpg
    20220925-171229-520.jpg
    5.8 MB · Views: 436

Skel40

Dec 27, 2019
Moto G 5G
Long time no see, but good news finished to find all necessary points to contacting the emmc.
Same with you!! That's awesome we can have @k4y0z and @Sus_i take a closer look at it again we can't thank you enough for taking the time with this project. Keep us updated

Reactions: evil_santa

Sus_i

Apr 9, 2013
Just had a look into my stick, I guess the points are a bit too small for my soldering equipment.
Can't even see the points without a magnifying glass ;)
A PCB needle probing jig is probably way better than soldering to the points.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kramar111

extream87

Dec 23, 2013
1st thank you for your hard work.
So to root 4k max we will need to open firestick?

alexpip

Aug 24, 2022
extream87, as far as I know all previous sticks have had to be opened and the emmc reimaged first by physically soldering to the data lines of the chip. As with the Fire Stick 3, this unlock process was only afterwards improved to allow rooting through the USB port. If you want to root your stick you need to follow the procedure from previous device roots.
Anyone please feel free to correct me if I am wrong.

sus_i has provided you with a good answer and evil_santa has stated he is not working on the project at the moment so probably best to wait for now.

Reactions: extream87

evil_santa

Jan 14, 2020
Inside my emmc 😜
in theory, the stick can be rooted as I intend. The whole thing is similar to the root of fire TV 1st gen.
But if it afterwards also works is not clear yet.
I also don't have much time to deal with it intensively. As i have news i will share it here. So far I have only soldered some wires to clk, cmd and dat0.

Attachments

• IMG_20220928_213810922_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20220928_213810922_HDR.jpg
    886.7 KB · Views: 273

Skel40

Dec 27, 2019
Moto G 5G
in theory, the stick can be rooted as I intend. The whole thing is similar to the root of fire TV 1st gen.
I also don't have much time to deal with it intensively. As i have news i will share it here. So far I have only soldered some wires to clk, cmd and dat0.
That's some very exciting news! I still have two of my Max's on 7.2.5.5/2444 and 2465 so it's safe to unlock eventually when it rolls out

duckdown

Feb 27, 2009
peel region
Google Pixel 2
I get excited every time I see an email about this thread, since I am subscribed to new replies!

A shame this thread isn't more active, these devices are super popular where I'm from, thought there would be a ton of activity but I guess 99.999% are content with the Amazon OS?

Reactions: bobdob123usa

dzaxx

May 11, 2009
Gdynia
Is it possible, tu use these pins to downgrade FOS in 4k MAX?
Can i clone /system and /userdata partition, from one FTV to another?

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I found 3 vulnerablities for MediaTek 8696 @evil_santa @Sus_i: https://cvefeed.io/vuln/product/92887/mediatekmt8696_firmware/

"In Wi-Fi driver, there is a possible undefined behavior due to incorrect error handling. This could lead to local escalation of privilege with System execution privileges needed. User interaction is not needed for exploitation."
    Dumping right now.
    I'll take pictures later. can I set the dump here or does it cause trouble?
    I got a bricked Fire TV Stick 4K Max and took it apart, here are the pics (each side with 2 slightly different foci):
    side1_.jpgside1.jpgside2_.jpgside2.jpg

Do not take it apart the way I did as it is dead now, but maybe use the pics to see how to disassemble it without killing it.

---

Edit: more pictures in sunlight:
    side1_full.jpg
    side2_full.jpg
    side1_part.jpgside1_part_.jpgside2_part.jpgside2_part_.jpg
    Here is the dump
    Includes Boot0/1 from the emmc