Any root yet for the new chromecast with google tv?

Search This thread

W00fer

Jul 13, 2009
We should wait for a custom recovery first. But you might loose all the DRM keys when the recovery partition is flashed. So choose wisely.

dictorclef

Jul 22, 2017
The 4gb storage is putting me off from buying it, if it was possible to root it to use apps2sd (or link2sd) to install entire apps on external storage, it would be a good upgrade to my fire tv stick 4k (vulkan support for emulators, slightly more powerful processor and better gpu drivers, as well as gapps installed from the start)

xnamkcor

Jul 11, 2010
The 4gb storage is putting me off from buying it, if it was possible to root it to use apps2sd (or link2sd) to install entire apps on external storage, it would be a good upgrade to my fire tv stick 4k (vulkan support for emulators, slightly more powerful processor and better gpu drivers, as well as gapps installed from the start)

Isn't installing on external media a built in option? And forcing it for all apps in in the developer options.

airwolf1544

EsotericCleric

May 23, 2011
Yeah you are right! This works without Problems.. you only need an USB C Hub with SD support.. look here: https://forum.xda-developers.com/an...hromecast-google-tv-ethernet-usb-hub-t4176725

I use an USB C Hub with Gigabit Ethernet and 128GB SD Card. It works nice!

How did you get the SD card working? I put in a 64GB in mine, but wasn't working until I discovered that the CCwGTV only supports FAT32 which has a max volume size of 32GB. I even tried creating two volumes of 32, but in the end the only thing that worked was just using 32GB of the 64GB as a single FAT32 volume.

nick61

Aug 29, 2011
How did you get the SD card working? I put in a 64GB in mine, but wasn't working until I discovered that the CCwGTV only supports FAT32 which has a max volume size of 32GB. I even tried creating two volumes of 32, but in the end the only thing that worked was just using 32GB of the 64GB as a single FAT32 volume.
I've succeeded to format large USB sticks (64GB) on FAT32 with Rufus portable (free software). SD card is working only in an USB stick adapter on my hub.

nick61

Aug 29, 2011
Hi,

Did anyone succeed to write files on a second USB stick?

I have the first USB stick formatted to extend the storage, and a second one as an external USB storage.

The second stick can be read or write on a PC, can also be (only) read on Chromecast with Google TV, but cannot write on it on chromecast. It's a write permission restriction there.

There is an ADB solution or similar?

Thanks,

card13

Nov 27, 2008
Washington State
OnePlus 3T
OnePlus 5
@Twotoneeddy It sounds like we have to wait for TWRP to be ported to support Android11, once that is done then you can have full Recovery functionality and Root (unless someone wants to port fastbootd like what we did in OP8T). Atm A10 just got support recently from the TWRP Team (https://twrp.me/site/update/2020/12/31/twrp-3.5.0-released.html).

**Edit**
Didn't realize device was A10, figured due to release time frame that it would have been released w/A11.
But the basics still stand, there is much more work to be done to get root (we can argue chicken or egg all we want but it doesn't change the end answer just the how you got to the answer).

Last edited:

96carboard

Jul 17, 2018
@Twotoneeddy It sounds like we have to wait for TWRP to be ported to support Android11, once that is done then you can have full Recovery functionality and Root (unless someone wants to port fastbootd like what we did in OP8T). Atm A10 just got support recently from the TWRP Team (https://twrp.me/site/update/2020/12/31/twrp-3.5.0-released.html).

Dude, you're putting the cart before the horse. If you don't have root or equivalent*, you can't boot a twrp, assuming you even wanted to.

Technically, you need the ability to boot an unsigned boot/recovery image, which includes the ability to feed that unsigned image into the device. If you can do that, then take the original boot image, install magisk on it, feed it in, and tell it to boot it. There's your root, no twrp required.

EDIT:

**Edit**
Didn't realize device was A10, figured due to release time frame that it would have been released w/A11.
But the basics still stand, there is much more work to be done to get root (we can argue chicken or egg all we want but it doesn't change the end answer just the how you got to the answer).

This isn't a chicken and egg problem AT ALL. twrp is just a custom recovery image. Without already having root or equivalent, there is NO WAY TO RUN IT.

Let me give you a simple example of the process as it works on a pixel phone;
1) Developer options --> OEM unlocking
2) adb reboot-bootloader
3) fastboot flashing unlock
4) fastboot [boot|flash boot] boot-magisk.img
* where boot-magisk.img is the boot.img found in the factory package, after being modified by magisk.

Steps 1-3 are the barrier for this device. twrp won't help you with them because you need to COMPLETE STEP 3 before you can install or boot twrp, and by the time you've completed STEP 3, you've already achieved the goal.

There are 2 ways to get there;
1) figure out how to accomplish steps 1-3.
2) figure out a privilege escalation exploit, either through Android, or through recovery, or whatever else you can come up with.

Here is a very simple question that could help start this process off; IS THERE ANY WAY TO BOOT INTO FASTBOOT?

Last edited:

Freeloader247

Aug 2, 2019
The real reason to root this thing has to be to bring support for HD audio passthrough.

Apparently the Amlogic S905D3G used to have HD audio passthrough on older firmware. If someone could figure out how to reenable it it would be the perfect streamer.

urbanman2004

Sep 16, 2013
Rock Town
Stricted and I just wrote a bootloader unlock exploit - for those of you with compatible units, enjoy: https://www.xda-developers.com/chromecast-with-google-tv-bootloader-unlock-exploit/
Not to necromorph an old thread, but I was curious to know by chance if it would be possible to apply your root method onto a Chromecast with Google TV that has been automatically updated to Android 12 even though it was manufacture 12/2020? After the update, some functionality I was used to that was present before the update occurred has been neutered and the OS sound effects are ruined and there's noticeable crackling/pop. Now I'm actively searching for a way to root my device so I can downgrade to either Android 11 or Android 10.

npjohnson

Recognized Developer
Not to necromorph an old thread, but I was curious to know by chance if it would be possible to apply your root method onto a Chromecast with Google TV that has been automatically updated to Android 12 even though it was manufacture 12/2020? After the update, some functionality I was used to that was present before the update occurred has been neutered and the OS sound effects are ruined and there's noticeable crackling/pop. Now I'm actively searching for a way to root my device so I can downgrade to either Android 11 or Android 10.
Nope. Locked up tight.

Reactions: rodken

Top Liked Posts