Any way to change boot animation

floydster1708

Feb 26, 2014
I found the file where boot animation is stored on the pixel 4a. It's not under system/media it's in product/media. None of the boot animation apps work. And the magisk module for changing animation doesn't seem to work on my device. When I try to physically put a new bootanimation.zip in /product/media it won't let me says my root directory is 100% full. I always like using a custom animation. Does anyone have any ideas how to get this done?

miko12312

Sep 11, 2009
I found the file where boot animation is stored on the pixel 4a. It's not under system/media it's in product/media. None of the boot animation apps work. And the magisk module for changing animation doesn't seem to work on my device. When I try to physically put a new bootanimation.zip in /product/media it won't let me says my root directory is 100% full. I always like using a custom animation. Does anyone have any ideas how to get this done?
So far I'm thinking adb terminal and push file to folder root file managers will not let with the way android 11 is ,haven't tested it

Reactions: floydster1708

DiamondJohn

Recognized Contributor
Aug 31, 2013
Sydney
I have looked into this quickly. I created a magisk module to replace my boot animation but it failed. The internal format of the actual ZIP file is different to previous versions of android.

As for directly changing the file, I have only got this phone recently, but from my understanding, newer devices can not nount their system partitions as RW, so Magisk will be the only way.

When I get a chance, I will be converting my old boot animation to mimic the new format, and give that a go. If that works, I will be including/updating my app TeMeFI to be capable for my/our device.

Last edited:

floydster1708

Feb 26, 2014
I have looked into this quickly. I created a magisk module to replace my boot animation but it failed. The internal format of the actual ZIP file is different to previous versions of android.

As for directly changing the file, I have only got this phone recently, but from my understanding, newer devices can not nount their system partitions as RW, so Magisk will be the only way.

When I get a chance, I will be converting my old boot animation to mimic the new format, and give that a go. If that works, I will be including/updating my app TeMeFI to be capable for my/our device.
The magisk module failed for me as well. If you do end up figuring it out would greatly appreciate your insight.

DiamondJohn

Recognized Contributor
Aug 31, 2013
Sydney
I looked into this also a few weeks ago now. I havent tried the latest magisk, and I know previously on an older magisk in oreo, it would play half the original animation then switch to the new one. Super weird. So, maybe if its brought to @topjohns attention (in giothub I think), it could get a fix.

On my previous Oreo phone, I had created a working boot animation change, so I thought it would be a simple task to do the same for A11. Not so... It didn't work. And yes, I noticed the changed location, and also converted the zip file to the new format

So, the weird thing, which kind of confirmed I was probably doing it correctly is that I had a crash which caused a soft-reboot, and on that reboot, the replaced boot animation worked! But, onnay cold boot, it failed and played the normalone. Also, if I went into /product/media on a live system and tried opening (either zip), they would be my replacement boot animation.

DiamondJohn

Recognized Contributor
Aug 31, 2013
Sydney
Magisk loads after userdata is mounted so you get the stock anim until then. I have modified system directly but the anim still "plays" twice. Not this phone, not android 11.
You are not understanding.In Oreo, the changed boot animation plays from start to finish. It worked perfectly.

You do not need to modify the system location directly on Oreo.

a1291762

Nov 20, 2012
yasmar.net
You are not understanding.In Oreo, the changed boot animation plays from start to finish. It worked perfectly.
Well you did mention half old, half new?

Before I had this phone, I had a Mi A2 Lite and it played the boot animation twice. Once before userdata was mounted (but not to the end), then again once userdata was mounted. Magisk modules could affect the second one but not the first (since Magisk files live on the userdata partition). I only really ran Android 9 and 10 on that phone, and they both did it.

I suppose the system could have just left the static splash on the screen until userdata was mounted, but for whatever reason, that's now what my old phone did.

I haven't actually watched the Pixel booting closely enough to spot if it's doing the same thing or not :)

Back to the issue at hand...

I have a read-only device /dev/block/dm-2 mounted at /product but I also see something Magisk-related mounting a directory called product but the path is ... whack.

/dev/B9z84Wq/.magisk/block/product on /dev/B9z84Wq/.magisk/mirror/product type ext4 (ro,seclabel,relatime)

dm-0 is /
dm-1 is /vendor
dm-2 is /product
dm-3 is /system_ext

All of these are (apparently) ext4. Probably these are all "files" on the super partition (ie. the new dynamic partitioning). That Magisk thing makes me think a module should be able to replace files in there... but maybe the bootanimation.zip is loaded before Magisk gets a chance to do that?

DiamondJohn

Recognized Contributor
Aug 31, 2013
Sydney
Well you did mention half old, half new?
But if you read that post, I also explicitly say it was an old magisk. A newer version of Magisk changed that, and it played the new one from start to finish.

Back to the issue at hand...

I have a read-only device /dev/block/dm-2 mounted at /product but I also see something Magisk-related mounting a directory called product but the path is ... whack.

/dev/B9z84Wq/.magisk/block/product on /dev/B9z84Wq/.magisk/mirror/product type ext4 (ro,seclabel,relatime)

dm-0 is /
dm-1 is /vendor
dm-2 is /product
dm-3 is /system_ext

All of these are (apparently) ext4. Probably these are all "files" on the super partition (ie. the new dynamic partitioning). That Magisk thing makes me think a module should be able to replace files in there... but maybe the bootanimation.zip is loaded before Magisk gets a chance to do that?
I didnt check to see if there were other locations. I only replceased /product/* and /system/product/* Although I dont hold much hope, I will check to see if there are other partitions I could replace it into.

floydster1708

Feb 26, 2014
I'm on derpfest a11. The first time I boot after flashing I get the derpfest boot animation (a colorful flashing owl) any time after that first boot it shows the Google logo then just the words android screen goes black then the word android again. I know this isn't a derp thread I just thought it was weird that the custom boot logo shows on first boot but not after that. When I check /product/media it's the derp-bootanimation so not even sure where the android logo is being loaded from.

tcat007

Jul 3, 2011
Austin, TX
Looking at the zips of the files in product/media, the files are different from normal boot-animation zips. The desc file is different, and there trim.txt files in the part folders. I haven't played with it yet, but would be nice to change change the G one.

DiamondJohn

Recognized Contributor
Aug 31, 2013
Sydney
I'm on derpfest a11. The first time I boot after flashing I get the derpfest boot animation (a colorful flashing owl) any time after that first boot it shows the Google logo then just the words android screen goes black then the word android again. I know this isn't a derp thread I just thought it was weird that the custom boot logo shows on first boot but not after that. When I check /product/media it's the derp-bootanimation so not even sure where the android logo is being loaded from.
Looking at the zips of the files in product/media, the files are different from normal boot-animation zips. The desc file is different, and there trim.txt files in the part folders. I haven't played with it yet, but would be nice to change change the G one.
I have managed to change the boot logo of the stock A11 firmware, I dont have time to get into it too far right now (im on my way ... socially distanced ... out)

1. I modified the bootanimation.zip to match the new format (dont know if the old format works)
2. manually created a magisc module to replace the one in the ROM
3. Added a boot script to do a soft reboot on each start-up/boot. It appears Magisc does not replace the file soon enough, so the old one plays. even though it appears changed in the running OS, obviously after the ORIGINAL had played.; which I coud not find in the ROM But there is 1 second of "Google" before my animation plays.

I also added a step to blur any area below the quick tiles, and also a few other places, such as in the reboot screen

see

Reactions: floydster1708

floydster1708

Feb 26, 2014
I have managed to change the boot logo of the stock A11 firmware, I dont have time to get into it too far right now (im on my way ... socially distanced ... out)

1. I modified the bootanimation.zip to match the new format (dont know if the old format works)
2. manually created a magisc module to replace the one in the ROM
3. Added a boot script to do a soft reboot on each start-up/boot. It appears Magisc does not replace the file soon enough, so the old one plays. even though it appears changed in the running OS, obviously after the ORIGINAL had played.; which I coud not find in the ROM But there is 1 second of "Google" before my animation plays.

I also added a step to blur any area below the quick tiles, and also a few other places, such as in the reboot screen

see
Hey thanks a lot for this man. I test it out on my device when I have time.

DiamondJohn

Recognized Contributor
Aug 31, 2013
Sydney
The following is the format docs. But in itself, the location isn't correct. I personally reversed engineered the existi9ng one using my pre-loved boot animation, and then found this doco.

It also implies sound is supported.

I added my one as an example that works. its the Nexus prime boot animation. But mine plays faster and for a shorter time.

Attachments

Last edited:
Reactions: tcat007