• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Question Any way to remove the Google search bar at the bottom of the screen?

Search This thread

paysen

Nov 3, 2010
This is really bothering me. I dont want a 3rd party launcher, the launcher is fine except for that stupid search bar. Also I had many problems with 3rd party launchers in the past, and I'd rather keep the stock one which is tailored to the Pixel 6 series.

harryw66

Oct 2, 2010
Google Pixel 6
Likewise, I want to get rid of that screen wasting 'At a Glance' widget at the top of the screen!!
Don't fancy an alternative launcher - but may have to bite the bullet...

biTToe

surprised someone finds 3rd party launchers like nova buggy

nova hits 10years old in december and its been pretty solid since forever
I've been using it for the last 6 years. It is feature-rich and less buggy and annoying than the four previous pixel launchers.

Likewise, I want to get rid of that screen wasting 'At a Glance' widget at the top of the screen!!
Don't fancy an alternative launcher - but may have to bite the bullet...
The beauty of Nova is, you can run both launchers, customize each as you like and switch between the two on-the-fly.
Infinite scrolling, custom bottom bar, multiple grid layouts...
When I get my P6P (today in theory) I will load all my apps from the Play store and restore my Nova backup. BOOM! my new phone will look and function exactly like my old phone... only bigger and cooler.
ƒ

Reactions: harryw66

harryw66

Oct 2, 2010
Google Pixel 6
I've been using it for the last 6 years. It is feature-rich and less buggy and annoying than the four previous pixel launchers.

The beauty of Nova is, you can run both launchers, customize each as you like and switch between the two on-the-fly.
Infinite scrolling, custom bottom bar, multiple grid layouts...
When I get my P6P (today in theory) I will load all my apps from the Play store and restore my Nova backup. BOOM! my new phone will look and function exactly like my old phone... only bigger and cooler.
ƒ
Thanks - I went with the Microsoft one - as it was the last one I had tried on my OnePlus over a year ago.
I will see how it goes - if not I will try Nova - I have the paid version also from 1-2 years ago.
Cheers

harryw66

Oct 2, 2010
Google Pixel 6
Thanks - I went with the Microsoft one - as it was the last one I had tried on my OnePlus over a year ago.
I will see how it goes - if not I will try Nova - I have the paid version also from 1-2 years ago.
Cheers
Switched to Nova overnight (insomnia!) - did not like the news choices of the Microsoft Launcher left swipe page - stuff from Hello Magazine, Daily Express and Daily Mail -???
Added the Nova Companion and now got the Google Left swipe and no wasted screen space on the main page.

This is really bothering me. I dont want a 3rd party launcher, the launcher is fine except for that stupid search bar. Also I had many problems with 3rd party launchers in the past, and I'd rather keep the stock one which is tailored to the Pixel 6 s

This is really bothering me. I dont want a 3rd party launcher, the launcher is fine except for that stupid search bar. Also I had many problems with 3rd party launchers in the past, and I'd rather keep the stock one which is tailored to the Pixel 6 series.
Plenty of good third party launchers.

biTToe

Switched to Nova overnight (insomnia!) - did not like the news choices of the Microsoft Launcher left swipe page - stuff from Hello Magazine, Daily Express and Daily Mail -???
Added the Nova Companion and now got the Google Left swipe and no wasted screen space on the main page.
I had never heard of the MS launcher, or maybe never really given it any mind. I looked at it yesterday after you mentioned it and it looked awful. I really hate the tiles and the forced news that I could care less about... too much work to make it what I wanted.

biTToe

Then you're missing out IMHO.
There is nothing "wrong" with the Pixel launcher per se, as long as you don't care that Google, like Apple, dictates how you interact with your phone; but, if you want to customize your phone to your liking, a custom launcher is the only way to go.
Nova has been rock-stable for a long time and has a myriad of great features, most of which are free.
ƒ

Last edited:

leegreg81

Nov 25, 2014
Google Pixel 6
+1 for Nova.

Nova is my launcher of choice.

It has been for a decade or so now.

I've tried many others but always come back to it.

Sometimes I use Action Launcher or will try something new but again always come back to Nova, which I am actively using on my new Pixel 6 (received it yesterday) as I find the stock launcher extremely lacking in features - haven't suffered a single launcher related performance or stability issue for a very long time, including on my P6.

I don't like having an app drawer or icons / widgets cluttering up my home screen so I assign gestures to launch specific frequently used apps such as Chrome and YouTube and for Nova's integrated "app search", which also displays other recently used, newly installed or frequent apps in tabs separate from the search bar.

I have a single Google "At A Glance" widget
and use the Maxelus Galaxy Pack Live Wallpaper app for additional personalisation and because I'm a nerdy space cadet.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211030-123545.png
    Screenshot_20211030-123545.png
    2.7 MB · Views: 128
  • Screenshot_20211030-123532.png
    Screenshot_20211030-123532.png
    4.7 MB · Views: 128

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    A little late to the party. Always used Lawnchair launcher on my Pixel3. Just got my P6 a few days ago and upgraded to Lawnchair again. Seems pretty stable on Android 12. I add Lawnfeed to enable Google feed left-swipe. Lawnchair is pretty similar to Pixel launcher except you can customize much more than stock (ie, disabling the bottom search bar).
    A little late to the party. Always used Lawnchair launcher on my Pixel3. Just got my P6 a few days ago and upgraded to Lawnchair again. Seems pretty stable on Android 12. I add Lawnfeed to enable Google feed left-swipe. Lawnchair is pretty similar to Pixel launcher except you can customize much more than stock (ie, disabling the bottom search bar).
    That what I used on my v60 before this.
    I guess not? Pretty annoying as I never use it.
    Get/use a custom launcher like Nova launcher -So much easier to customize and so many more features.

ƒ
    Then you're missing out IMHO.
    There is nothing "wrong" with the Pixel launcher per se, as long as you don't care that Google, like Apple, dictates how you interact with your phone; but, if you want to customize your phone to your liking, a custom launcher is the only way to go.
    Nova has been rock-stable for a long time and has a myriad of great features, most of which are free.
    ƒ
    I guess not? Pretty annoying as I never use it.