• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Anybody else got the OTA 22.21.28?

Search This thread

devsk

Dec 14, 2008
I was pleasantly surprised to see an update being offered this morning. I am on 22.21.25 (the latest OTA so far for XT1064).

Did anybody else see this?

No idea what it fixes though.

Android The Greek

Mar 7, 2012
New Castle

Attachments

• 1421095878818.jpg
    1421095878818.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 1,379

Seriously Ponies?

Nov 23, 2011
Received the 5.02 OTA today on my XT1063 (US). installed fine. I was rooted, but unrooted using SuperSU (strangely, "full unroot" hung, but "unroot for installing a different SU app" worked just fine). I was using stock recovery, and the OTA installed perfectly fine.

Bonus: forgot to revert to original hosts from adaway before installing the OTA. Still worked! So now, I don't have root, but am ad-free!!

So looks like (for now) "Lolipop OTAs require an untouched /system" is a bit of an exaggeration. Hooray!

(haven't re-rooted yet).

devsk

Dec 14, 2008
Received the 5.02 OTA today on my XT1063 (US). installed fine. I was rooted, but unrooted using SuperSU (strangely, "full unroot" hung, but "unroot for installing a different SU app" worked just fine). I was using stock recovery, and the OTA installed perfectly fine.

Bonus: forgot to revert to original hosts from adaway before installing the OTA. Still worked! So now, I don't have root, but am ad-free!!

So looks like (for now) "Lolipop OTAs require an untouched /system" is a bit of an exaggeration. Hooray!

(haven't re-rooted yet).

They haven't moved to the block level deltas for the /system partition as yet. They are still patching file to file. So, as long as the files being patched are not touched by you, you are ok.

Traediras

Jul 26, 2012
From here:
Today's Lollipop 5.0.2 rollout for Moto G (1st Gen & 2nd Gen): this is a soak test for India, Brazil & the U.S. If the performance data looks good after several days, then we'll roll out more widely. This is why some may see 'up to date' when checking - it is not yet exposed to the whole user population.

Note: Moto G (1st Gen) users need to ensure that they have the latest Motorola Updates Services from the Play Store. If you see an update available, please install it - otherwise you will not see the future Lollipop upgrade notification. This is not necessary for Moto G (2nd Gen).

This could potentially mean Moto G users as a whole may be getting Lollipop by the end of the month, if all goes well. :D

devsk

Dec 14, 2008
Have Google given any indication when they'll be moving to the new patching system?

They probably already have. Some people claimed they got OTA in the partition block diff format for Nexus series phones. May be motorola is keeping the current method alive on its own. After all, its just packaging and OEMs choose the packaging.

Reactions: Seriously Ponies?

Seriously Ponies?

Nov 23, 2011
They probably already have. Some people claimed they got OTA in the partition block diff format for Nexus series phones. May be motorola is keeping the current method alive on its own. After all, its just packaging and OEMs choose the packaging.
Hopefully Moto keeps using the old patching system as they haven't been particularly forthcoming with providing factory images for the Moto G 2014.

devsk

Dec 14, 2008
Hopefully Moto keeps using the old patching system as they haven't been particularly forthcoming with providing factory images for the Moto G 2014.

It honestly doesn't make much of a difference. Keep a bare stock backup always handy, with pretty much empty /data partition. So, basically the update procedure is (and would continue to be):

0. Capture the OTA zip from /cache.
1. Take a full TWRP back up of the current ROM, with your changes etc.
2. Restore to previous bare stock ROM including the stock recovery.
3. Sideload the OTA zip and make sure to boot at least once (and skip account setup if this is the first OTA ever).
4. Flash TWRP recovery partition
5. Take a TWRP backup of new bare stock ROM for use for the next OTA.
6. Restore your /data.
7. Install SuperSU.zip, and optionally busybox.
8. Profit!

This means all your changes to the /system partition are lost. But you should not be making changes to /system partition anyway (apart from the SuperSU and busybox).

Note that you can not afford to miss an OTA...:) The above procedure breaks. So, keep up with OTAs.

Top Liked Posts