• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!
  • Fill out your device list and let everyone know which phones you have!    Edit Your Device Inventory

Anybody with project Fi got their bootloader unlocked or otherwise?

Search This thread

devsk

Dec 14, 2008
What are people's stories with Pixel 3 on Fi regarding bootloader unlock? Is it greyed out or unlock is working for people?

Quick search only indicated there are open issues in this area and no resolution.

samnada

Aug 17, 2010
Ordered Pixel 3 from the Google Store with Project Fi, and bootloader unlock is not grayed out on my phone. No idea if that's common or uncommon, just reporting on my device.

Reactions: devsk

josephpalozzi

May 1, 2008
NYC
I ordered mine from Project Fi directly (through the app) and received with the greyed out "OEM unlock". Even after updated and factory resetting, still greyed out.

Mich113

Dec 1, 2007
Boca Raton
OEM unlocking grayed out

I ordered mine from Project Fi directly (through the app) and received with the greyed out "OEM unlock". Even after updated and factory resetting, still greyed out.

I ordered a Pixel 3 from the Project FI/Google Store and received the Pixel 3 with OEM unlocking grayed out. After searching the web I found that some people had received the Verizon version from Project FI. I called FI support and was able to RMA the first phone, I then received a Pixel 3 with OEM unlocking enabled. I was told by support that there was no guarantee that the device I receive would have OEM unlocking enabled, but it was worth it to me and I got LUCKY.

Because I returned it within the 15 day return policy, they were able to guarantee me a new phone and not a refurbished device. I would call support to make sure of this, I had to talk to a manager.

sfhub

Oct 23, 2008
Probably everyone resolved this already, but in my experience Pixel 3s from Google all come with OEM unlocking turned off and grayed out (ie can't be unlocked), at least initially, then during setup, something is downloaded or something is queried that makes the option selectable.

I had 3 of them, 2 from Project Fi and 1 from Google Store. I set up all of them initially not connecting to WiFi, and obviously not connecting to Google Account.

For all 3, I enabled developer options, then found OEM unlocking was turned off and grayed out (not selectable)

After connecting to WiFi and Google account, then the option was selectable.

There is probably a list of serial #s somewhere that gets queried and it controls whether your OEM unlocking option will be selectable or not. Assuming there is such a thing, until that theoretical query is successful, your device will have OEM unlocking grayed out.

Reactions: saxk

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Ordered Pixel 3 from the Google Store with Project Fi, and bootloader unlock is not grayed out on my phone. No idea if that's common or uncommon, just reporting on my device.
    Probably everyone resolved this already, but in my experience Pixel 3s from Google all come with OEM unlocking turned off and grayed out (ie can't be unlocked), at least initially, then during setup, something is downloaded or something is queried that makes the option selectable.

I had 3 of them, 2 from Project Fi and 1 from Google Store. I set up all of them initially not connecting to WiFi, and obviously not connecting to Google Account.

For all 3, I enabled developer options, then found OEM unlocking was turned off and grayed out (not selectable)

After connecting to WiFi and Google account, then the option was selectable.

There is probably a list of serial #s somewhere that gets queried and it controls whether your OEM unlocking option will be selectable or not. Assuming there is such a thing, until that theoretical query is successful, your device will have OEM unlocking grayed out.