Anyone been able to do anything with a Facebook Portal?

Search This thread

casuallynoted

Jan 11, 2015
Been looking at the Facebook Portal, it's got a USB-C port on the back but according to Facebook's support it's only used "in the factory", so I'm assuming maybe that's something they might use with a flashing tool to reset damaged units. Has anyone messed around with one/found out anything about how it might work? I've noticed that, at least with mine, if I hold down power and the volume up button while it's booting, the screen remains black but the mic light is still on. Thinking this may be some kind of recovery mode perhaps.

Reactions: zyfihx

casuallynoted

Jan 11, 2015
Wow, you bought one? I can't imagine.

Sent from my LM-V350ULM using Tapatalk

Oh definitely not. Wouldn't be caught dead buying one. XD Was gifted one as an early christmas gift by a friend, but trying to decide if it's something I can do anything with before I maybe... return it and get a better alexa-enabled device. Feeling really bad about that though considering they wanted to use it to communicate.

Reactions: jwrezz

jwrezz

Dec 20, 2010
Parsippany
Ah-ha! Alexa enabled, but what powers it? Is it some open source thing? AOSP even?

casuallynoted

Jan 11, 2015
Ah-ha! Alexa enabled, but what powers it? Is it some open source thing? AOSP even?

From what I’ve been able to gather, it’s running on some form of AOSP with a custom Portal skin- haven’t been able to get much more info than that though as the info on the device past what FB has put out publicly is pretty slim. Definitely doesn’t surprise me that it’s an android device though considering that’s just about all FB seems to develop for outside of the web (Oculus Go, Facebook Home, etc.)

Would be really interesting to try using Discord on this device though, and possibly finding a way to disable FB functions. Might make it a good gift then, if not it’s making it really hard to hold onto it.

Edit: This is my source for AOSP, assuming it’s the “Android Open Source Framework” mentioned:
https://techcrunch.com/2018/10/08/facebook-portal/amp/

Last edited:
Reactions: jwrezz

lawonga

Oct 28, 2010
I got my hands on one (free gift from company) but I'm trying to figure out what to do with it too.

Racketen

Feb 27, 2019
Hello everyone, sorry I am late to the party. It is definitely android. If you run the chromium browser and attempt to open something like a pdf file, chromium will give you an error and ask for download permissions. This error message also gives you a link to the applications settings page from where you get access to some of the settings. No permissions sadly. You can however go in to the battery optimization settings and filter for all apps and get a full list of everything installed. As can be seen in these images on imgur /a/QWqs0pP

Reactions: CiupaSs and zyfihx

paulnptld

Mar 20, 2019
Portal USB-C is video out!

Been looking at the Facebook Portal, it's got a USB-C port on the back but according to Facebook's support it's only used "in the factory", so I'm assuming maybe that's something they might use with a flashing tool to reset damaged units. Has anyone messed around with one/found out anything about how it might work? I've noticed that, at least with mine, if I hold down power and the volume up button while it's booting, the screen remains black but the mic light is still on. Thinking this may be some kind of recovery mode perhaps.

We're stoked. We've been using the 15 inch Portal in our conference room. Hooked up a usb-c to HDMI adapter, ran it to our conference room 4K television and bam! Absolutely gorgeous.

Works flawlessly as an output, and even audio (as would be expected) is now running through the monitor.

Reactions: CiupaSs and zyfihx

zyfihx

Oct 1, 2016
Oh niiiice ! I actually asked facebook portal customer support, and they said nothin could be done with the usb c port ! It really is a shame cuz some people probably want to output to a bigger screen !
I want to try if usb c headphones and microphones will work. I don't have any around though !

I've tested and seen that I can use the port as a usb c PD charger, it charges my macbook pro and oneplus 6 :)

Maybe we can figure out a way to use ADB to get us into the portal ?

---------- Post added at 05:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:51 PM ----------

Oh wait, never mind charging my macbook pro. It does so only intermittently, I should've guessed the power was too low !

xpclient

Jan 24, 2013
USB-C to 3.5 mm audio only alternate mode?

Can anyone please test and let me know if a USB-C to 3.5mm analog audio jack also works - for 3.5 mm jack headphones or speaker out? More specifically, an active adapter because a passive one may not work. Such as this one: amazon.com/Tranesca-Headphone-Adapter-Compatible-Google/dp/B07M6Z2KJ4

What I do know from reading this thread is the Facebook Portal's:
- USB-C Video out (DisplayPort Alternate mode) to monitor works along with audio (monitor passthrough)
- It works as a USB-C power delivery charger

But if audio thru DisplayPort works means only audio to 3.5 mm jack will also work?

Interestingly, the official documentation (portalfb.me/2NAdtz1) claims the audio will continue to come from Portal's speakers. But people here claim it is transmitted to the monitor?

Last edited:

ZetallicA

Mar 31, 2018
the portal burnt due to an electricity hazard overseas.
I just bought the newest Facebook Portal Mini. it comes with a browsers from Facebook. I was able to make a phone call using duo.google.com then the next day.. I lost permission to the camera: it keeps asking me for permissions.
I think they have some kind of firewall that blocks unusual behaviors

zyfihx

Oct 1, 2016
So, any luck unlocking the bootloader or even getting ADB out the USB-C ?

I don't really know how to do those things... But it tried scanning my portal for open ports, no ip adp connection possible. And then, with usb c connected nothing happens with adb. It can't seem to see it !
I tried enabling hidden developpers options by pressing a lot everywhere in the settings, but no luck !

casuallynoted

Jan 11, 2015
Alrighty, I've got an update for you guys. It seems like FB locked out that PDF trick sadly. However, I found out that if you restart your portal and hold all three buttons down, then plug in the USB-C, it appears as a device named "Qualcomm HS-USB QDLoader 9008 (COM3)". Based on what I've seen on a few threads here, that's a utility for reflashing and backing up device firmware. I believe we may be able to do stuff with this.

hotpops

Nov 11, 2019
I am looking into getting the FB Portal TV. If the party on the other end of the connection is using their smart phone or tablet, does the image I am seeing become altered from wide screen to a vertical image
or does the unit adapt to keep the screen filled without becoming distorted in some way?

skmike

Dec 14, 2019
Alrighty, I've got an update for you guys. It seems like FB locked out that PDF trick sadly. However, I found out that if you restart your portal and hold all three buttons down, then plug in the USB-C, it appears as a device named "Qualcomm HS-USB QDLoader 9008 (COM3)". Based on what I've seen on a few threads here, that's a utility for reflashing and backing up device firmware. I believe we may be able to do stuff with this.

Have you been able to find out anything more with the qualcomm loader? I have been playing with mine and unable to get a utility to recognize is. It would be nice to be able to get get the fw off it.

bingbo123321

Apr 10, 2020
So I was able to get fasboot access to my Facebook Portal+ (1st Gen).

If you plug in the power and hold down the vol down + power button. It will show the portal logo on the screen and on a black box it says "Please Reboot...". If you connect to the usb-c port then it looks like there is fastboot access to the device. It's definitely locked down, but it's a start.

I've been trying to figure out how to get adb / sideload access for a while now and this is as close as I've been able to get. I'll let you know if I find out more.

portal.facebook.com/help/663538367374135/

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    i have bookmarked at the home of my portalTV :
    google.com, Youtube and some other PWA, in order to use Chromium browser inside
    photo_2021-04-21_13-31-03.jpg

this is a picture of it connected in PIP on my big monitor
    photo_2021-04-21_13-31-04.jpg

i used the keystroke :
    Win + B (using a BT Keyboard)
    in order to gain access to Chromium browser
    Hello everyone, sorry I am late to the party. It is definitely android. If you run the chromium browser and attempt to open something like a pdf file, chromium will give you an error and ask for download permissions. This error message also gives you a link to the applications settings page from where you get access to some of the settings. No permissions sadly. You can however go in to the battery optimization settings and filter for all apps and get a full list of everything installed. As can be seen in these images on imgur /a/QWqs0pP
    Portal USB-C is video out!

We're stoked. We've been using the 15 inch Portal in our conference room. Hooked up a usb-c to HDMI adapter, ran it to our conference room 4K television and bam! Absolutely gorgeous.

Works flawlessly as an output, and even audio (as would be expected) is now running through the monitor.
    A few things of note that have caused me to reduce my efforts for the time being.
    1: The issue that I realized with rooting and having custom apps installed is the best feature of the device is the camera. However, even if if the camera can be run as a system camera, the camera is SUPER wide angle. The facebook custom apps are what perform digital zoom and face tracking which also uses the 4 microphones to locate people.
    Secondly the microphones have special software in the apps to handle the quad far-field array. Without the special processing it would sound as bad as $2 eBay mic.
    So even with custom apps installed, it would render the camera and mics useless.
    2. The portal has INCREDIBLE IDS/IPS (fancy alarmed firewall software) and sensitive modification/error detection. I started to modify a few things in the settings and a moment after saving the settings POOF! the portal says "Erasing" and factory reset itself.
    About a year and a half to two years ago I had a run-in with the firewall and logging delight.
    I found a way to get around some feature restrictions in the browser. Within 48hrs the portal had updated and those had been locked out with a lovely "that action is prohibited" overplayed message bubble. F LI C K !!!!
    Every action that deviates from their baseline is obviously logged and reported. I have never found another vulnerable function in the custom chromium browser to-date.
    3. FB has an untouched vulnerability bounty on the portal. It was unbroken at DEFCON.
    If the top of the world's elite hats can't find their way in I'm not hahaha. (Side note: Which is simultaniously odd, and very impressive display of cysec engineering, because the number of ports this thing has open puts Swiss cheese to shame)
    The hardware is supereme;
    It has a beautiful display, amazing 4k camera, great farfield array, decent speaker, and reasonable specs, but the key features are worthless without their special apps.

To the FB engineering because I know you read these posts:
    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
    Wow, you bought one? I can't imagine.

Oh definitely not. Wouldn't be caught dead buying one. XD Was gifted one as an early christmas gift by a friend, but trying to decide if it's something I can do anything with before I maybe... return it and get a better alexa-enabled device. Feeling really bad about that though considering they wanted to use it to communicate.