anyone considering the s8?

Search This thread

thegameksk

Jan 29, 2008
Its true that when you physically see them side by side, the S8/+ just outshines the G6 looking way more futuristic.

I'll miss LG's UI and wide angle camera for sure now that I've shipped back my G6. LG's gonna have to hit a home run on the V30 to even compete with Samsung and tempt me to jump back.

Sent from my LG-V521 using Tapatalk

In my opinion yes.

masri1987

Jun 27, 2010
Honolulu, Hawaii
Google Pixel 7 Pro
never getting another samsung phone after their note 7 fiasco.

With that being said
I have a oneplus 3t right now
I went to t-mob yesterday and played with g6 s8 and s8+ and i just couldn't get over the curvature of the screen, and finger print sensor location.

The s8+ for having a 6.2'' display should of had more battery than 3500 mah imo, also the s8+ is way too tall, i have huge hands i can grib a basketball easily but the s8+ was not usable in one hand mode

edit: also for us rooters, remember, we alreayd have to deal with dmverity issues, you are gonna have to deal with knox on top of that

edit 2: and you get a special freaking button for BIXBY.
not an audio slider, not a camera button, a freaking useless button for an assistant you most likely won't use

Last edited:

06stang

Jun 25, 2010
Albuquerque
I went to Best Buy and played with the S8 for a long time. It has the "Wow!" factor and the screen is awesome but I really dont see me using that phone and liking it. Fingerprint reader is terrible and software isnt something I like.

Decided to keep the G6. It may not be as flashy but it feels solid and looks great to me. Battery life with the always on screen has impressed me so far. I get home from work at 5pm with moderate usage throughout the day and I'm usually at 50% battery.

rudyo78427

Mar 13, 2013
san jose
I had the G6 for about two days and returned it. I had high hopes for it but sadly it wasn't up to par. I've had the G4, V10, G5, V20 (current) and the G6 after I set it up was starting to show lag between tasks. Also, the pictures came out grainy and noisy. I did a factory reset twice with no help. The only thing I noticed is that if I didn't load any apps and kept the phone as is, it performed better. My V20 outperformed the G6. But after playing with the S8 at the verizon store, I am making the switch. Just preordered the S8.

echto

Aug 11, 2007
I had the G6 for about two days and returned it. I had high hopes for it but sadly it wasn't up to par. I've had the G4, V10, G5, V20 (current) and the G6 after I set it up was starting to show lag between tasks. Also, the pictures came out grainy and noisy. I did a factory reset twice with no help. The only thing I noticed is that if I didn't load any apps and kept the phone as is, it performed better. My V20 outperformed the G6. But after playing with the S8 at the verizon store, I am making the switch. Just preordered the S8.

I agree the camera does produce some grainy pictures under certain lighting conditions, for me this has been indoor lighting, lighting inside rooms lit by sky lights, rooms lit by a floor lamp, and late afternoon pre sunset light. I switched from a V20 and am a little disappointed with the camera on the G6. Will it cause me to switch to a different phone? Not at this moment. I'm not a fan of the curved edges - not a fan at all, so Samsung is out because of that. I also am not impressed with the Samsung bloat. Samsung Pay was neat when it was more like a widget on a black background, but then Samsung Pay was updated and became a bright white background, full screen app. I instantly hated it after that.

So far I'm happy to use the G6 as my daily runner, I just wish the camera was a little better.

I just went to 2 T-Mobile stores to pick up the G6 because someone said in another thread that they were selling them early. No go. So I called T-Mobile to order one and the rep told me to wait until Friday. She said they will be offering a free G Pad, as well as the Google Home.

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk

MicroMod777

Recognized Contributor
I just went to 2 T-Mobile stores to pick up the G6 because someone said in another thread that they were selling them early. No go. So I called T-Mobile to order one and the rep told me to wait until Friday. She said they will be offering a free G Pad, as well as the Google Home.

Free G Pad is for anybody who adds a new line. I got one last month. Old promo.

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk

alnova1

Oct 16, 2009
I think I'm taking mine back tomorrow. I have factory reset mine 3 times for various reasons and everytime I do it something else has a problem. Plus the camera isn't what I hoped it would be.

skyfox99

Nov 8, 2007
I'm a Yank in Texas
The "edgeless" screens feel a bit like staring through a glass balloon and read Jetson-y.

Family%203.jpg

My last few phones have been Samsung and I'm just tired of the overbearing branding. I've been considering an LG ever since my husband went to them.

---------- Post added at 05:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:25 PM ----------

There's a tear down video. There are heat pipes that help with cooling the battery and CPU. That may be the difference you are feeling.

D7x7oSh.png

This is the coldest smartphone I've ever used.
Yep, you are correct. There's also "liquid cooling" with a whopping .1 gram liquid solution. Lol

https://www.gizmochina.com/2017/02/...ed-heat-pipe-safer-battery-wireless-charging/

MicroMod777

Recognized Contributor
She told me it would just be an extra $10 a month. No new lines. Just the 2 I already have.

How is the G Pad?

Yea $10 a month for the new line to pay for the data. Store reps are hustlers that have to meet their sales goals or they get fired. Their just as bad as a used car salesman. lol

LG X G 8" Pad is ok. Kinda sluggish at times but bearable. I got stock and debloated roms for it too! :)) Been too tired after work to supercharge it to my classic xTreme roms that I'll miss making now that I'm switching to the S8+. Hopefully the V30 will bring me back to LG! :))

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk

masri1987

Jun 27, 2010
Honolulu, Hawaii
Google Pixel 7 Pro
i went to play again with the s8 and s8+ today, and i just can't do it.
Samsung fudged with the finger print sensor hardcore, and i've never been a fan of the curved display edge gimmick, seems to make it more susceptible to easier damage.

kimragone

Sep 27, 2010
Agree about the fingerprint sensor. Very bad location in my opinion.

What about the speaker? G6 is a single bottom firing speaker similar to S8. I would prefer the earpiece also act as a speaker (like the Pixel) or dual front (like HTCs) but neither did it, so I can't use that as a negative this round.

The earpiece speaker does actually work in conjunction with the bottom speaker, it's just not quite as loud.

echto

Aug 11, 2007

i went to play again with the s8 and s8+ today, and i just can't do it.
Samsung fudged with the finger print sensor hardcore, and i've never been a fan of the curved display edge gimmick, seems to make it more susceptible to easier damage.

I found there idea of the curved edges interesting at first. The idea of having a clock shown on the side of the phone while it's laying on it's back charging sounded neat. When I was loaded a S7E after my Note 7 was recalled I realised the clock on the side was just a gimmick. The font the clock uses is extremely small and I found no use for it because of that.

The curved edges.... Why? What is the point of it other than a design point. It's aggravating when your palm presses against it when using the phone.

The phone is going to sell well, I have no doubt about that. It's just not for me.

Reactions: blitz911

06stang

Jun 25, 2010
Albuquerque
I found there idea of the curved edges interesting at first. The idea of having a clock shown on the side of the phone while it's laying on it's back charging sounded neat. When I was loaded a S7E after my Note 7 was recalled I realised the clock on the side was just a gimmick. The font the clock uses is extremely small and I found no use for it because of that.

The curved edges.... Why? What is the point of it other than a design point. It's aggravating when your palm presses against it when using the phone.

The phone is going to sell well, I have no doubt about that. It's just not for me.

When I saw the first curved display they came out with I was captivated by the idea because it was so different. Never ended up getting one and kind of glad I didnt. Not saying the S8 is the same but everyone I know with an S7 edge has shattered the screens multiple times even with TG screen protectors. People that didnt break phones before

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    It might have the 835 (or Exynos depending on region), but it also has a smaller battery than the G6.

The fact the Galaxy phones have AMOLED screens is a deal breaker for me, so I won't buy another as long as they are using that technology.
    Yes I did mean IR Blaster, and yet I'm surprised how unknown/hardly use it was. Definitely help me considering I have 3 missing remotes and I agree about the speaker always being being covered at some point no matter the location but when your holding your phone upright your probably not doing something such as a movie or game the needs sound. Just happens to be the worst spot for movies and games being held sideways. On second thought though I haven't purchased a case yet and that may help move my finger off the speaker. But my LG G4 speaker location was perfect.. Knock knock is definitely 100 times better your absolutely right there. I wish htc would come back.... I almost miss my HTC EVO... Then remember the battery life Haha

I actually like having the speaker on the bottom because when I turn the phone sideways, it's in the perfect spot to cup my hand around it to help amplify/push the sound towards me. I've always done that with any bottom-firing speaker.
    Sure I can. The G6 has less features per dollar compared to the S8.

Depends what features you want I guess. The S8 has nothing I want over the G6. :)
    Features dont always equal superiority.
    I actually like having the speaker on the bottom because when I turn the phone sideways, it's in the perfect spot to cup my hand around it to help amplify/push the sound towards me. I've always done that with any bottom-firing speaker.

Or if, like me, you hate having to cup your hand, you can get one of those cases:
    That little trick of the audio diffusor is just brilliant :good: