Anyone else getting Random Reboots?

Search This thread

xadidas4lifex

Dec 6, 2010
Dallas, Texas
Just like the title says...
Anyone getting Random Reboots?

I got a few yesterday.
I just woke up and reached for my phone, and it made me do my pin plus fingerprint just like it rebooted...

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

amdsupport

Jul 21, 2010
I know this is the pixel 2 xl page, but I have a pixel 2 regular and have had the random reboot issue occur as well; It is occurring in safe mode too (after a factory reset).
I've already been on the phone with Google support and they basically said it is RMA time...so 2 day old phone already being warrantied.

It literally rebooted again while typing this post...so it is happening a LOT...(thankfully chrome kept the text I typed!)

xadidas4lifex

Dec 6, 2010
Dallas, Texas
I know this is the pixel 2 xl page, but I have a pixel 2 regular and have had the random reboot issue occur as well; It is occurring in safe mode too (after a factory reset).
I've already been on the phone with Google support and they basically said it is RMA time...so 2 day old phone already being warrantied.

It literally rebooted again while typing this post...so it is happening a LOT...(thankfully chrome kept the text I typed!)
That's crazy. With the random Reboots that I'm having and the screen on my PXL2 Black 128GB, I am not the happiest camper...

Reactions: shenoyjoseph

amdsupport

Jul 21, 2010
That's crazy. With the random Reboots that I'm having and the screen on my PXL2 Black 128GB, I am not the happiest camper...

I got my replacement Pixel 2 yesterday and all is well. I had to call Google support about 3 times though because they messed up the replacement shipping dates.

I'm still not sure what the cause of the reboots was, although, it seemed to happen more often when a program was running in the foreground for an extended duration (i.e. watching videos or using navigation). I have not seen many other reports across the internet of random reboots on the new Pixels so maybe we just got a couple of bad ones.

razgriz1234

Mar 23, 2012
I just started getting this and I've only had it a day it's done 3 reboots in less than an hour and it's only happened when I have it with the screen off but I get a force close of an app when I get back into the phone

byproxy

Apr 29, 2010
no reboots for me... had my screen go black and refuse to turn back on once though. had to hold power button for a really long time to get it to come back on. just figured it was cuz im on the 8.1dp.

black 128gb

ramseyjack

Jul 19, 2007
Tulare, CA
www.altsys.net
yes rebooted 3 times Pixel 2xl 128

Rebooted 3 times, randomly with no clear reason. One time while at Costco with just Plantronics 5200 Bluetooth connected. This was on a clean bootup and install from the box to see if there was much of a difference between clean install and a restore-data transfer from my Pixel XL 128. Has not happened since a complete reset and data transfer about 16hrs ago.

Tad482

Oct 29, 2017
Android Auto Causes Rebooting

My Pixel 2 XL consistently reboots exclusively when using Android Auto. It's a 128GB Black one running 8.0 on a Pioneer AVH-4100NEX with the latest 1.10 firmware. I'll be able to get in about two songs and some map usage before it quits and suddenly reboots without explanation. I've not experienced any reboots with this phone under circumstances that do not involve AA. I sure hope Google fixes this soon because I do a good bit of driving & employ AA daily.

Wcdove24

Dec 24, 2010
Since getting the phone Friday evening I have had about 20 reboots some happening back to back. Thought it may have been an app but I'm guess not. Don't have AA installed.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

I KNOW WHY THIS IS HAPPENING!!!* It's from being in a low signal area and LTE - for example when I'm at home on wifi it rarely happens, once I leave my wifi area (low signal area, LTE comes and goes)* reboots happen constantly . . .* So I went into Settings -> Network and Internet -> Mobile Network and change Preferred network type to only use 3G = NO MORE REBOOTS!
    Can someone else please confirm this?

Obviously leaving LTE off is not feasible, but hopefully it points Google in the right direction for fixing this . . . . .

I've been trying to Isolate this myself. Disabling LTE did not help. Have submitted a bug report, but I'm with many on this thread that it is a WiFi issue.

I only get the random reboots at home. When I chatted with Google support, they had me look at trusted places (I didn't have any).

I've been getting numerous reboots a day at home. The upgrade to 8.1 seems to have made things way worse.

I did a flash-all with the -w removed (dirty flash). I am rooted with Magisk and have TWRP 3.11 Beta for recovery.

I'm going to try the rest of today with WiFi off and see how it goes. I was hopeful that the radio upgrade in 8.1 would fix this, but it has only made things worse if anything.

As an aside, I was thinking that it may be that I have Eeros deployed at home, but I have these at my office as well and no issues (Although office is in bridge mode - not sure if there's anything to this).

Will report back after the next random event or after each 24 hours of stability.

Maybe we can crowdfix this?

[EDIT] Through a discussion in another thread, I found that my problems were being caused by Substratum and Andromeda. I removed all overlays, removed both Substratum and Andromeda, re-flashed boot, dtbo, kernel, and Magisk, reinstalled Substratum (but not Andromeda), and reinstalled my theme (Swift Black).

6 hours and no reboots so far.

Thought I would share in case this helps anyone else.
    Just like the title says...
    Anyone getting Random Reboots?

I got a few yesterday.
    I just woke up and reached for my phone, and it made me do my pin plus fingerprint just like it rebooted...
    I been getting the same thing a few times a day.

I am in the same boat. Randomly i will have to put in my pin but nothing that is too annoying. Maybe once a week if that. If it gets annoying i will contact Google/Verizon.

Does it say you have to enter your PIN because of "restart" or "additional security". Sometimes even if it hasn't restarted it will ask for your PIN(or password,pattern) for additional security. I think that happens like every 48-72 hours of the device not getting the PIN.