Anyone else having horrible GPS issues?

Jun 2, 2017
I live in la... work in production and use my navigation constantly. This is killing me

The GPS doesn't lock reliably and it loses location all the time... usually at the worst possible time of course ?.
I had a one plus McClaren and it had the same issues... actually this phone is worse.
Can't really blame the phone it really seems like its has something to do with the 5g. My pixel 3xl works flawlessly with the same sim.
Turning off 5g doesn't solve the issue for me either. So no easy fix.

Scott

Retired Recognized Developer
Feb 20, 2007
Fargo
www.scottcrosler.com
I live in la... work in production and use my navigation constantly. This is killing me

The GPS doesn't lock reliably and it loses location all the time... usually at the worst possible time of course ?.
I had a one plus McClaren and it had the same issues... actually this phone is worse.
Can't really blame the phone it really seems like its has something to do with the 5g. My pixel 3xl works flawlessly with the same sim.
Turning off 5g doesn't solve the issue for me either. So no easy fix.
I had a OP 6T before this s20 Ultra. I had the same issued you did with my 6T as your McLaren.

I do think the Samsung is actually a little bit better than the 6T. The 6T would just randomly stop tracking me and place me on the next road over, etc.

The S20 just stops tracking for a moment then picks right back up. I see issues with it but not like I did with 6T. I also think moving from T-Mo to ATT gives me a more reliable data connection so GPS seems a little better.

I also use my phone for DoorDash and hate these GPS issues.

Some people never see the issue but run 4 to 10 hours a day with GPS and I see it all the time.

BUt to answer your question. Yep, it seems like Android 10 itself is the actual culprit. This is what I have read when I was the 6T. Dont know if there is any truth to that.

Jun 2, 2017
I had a OP 6T before this s20 Ultra. I had the same issued you did with my 6T as your McLaren.

I do think the Samsung is actually a little bit better than the 6T. The 6T would just randomly stop tracking me and place me on the next road over, etc.

The S20 just stops tracking for a moment then picks right back up. I see issues with it but not like I did with 6T. I also think moving from T-Mo to ATT gives me a more reliable data connection so GPS seems a little better.

Some people never see the issue but run 4 to 10 hours a day with GPS and I see it all the time.

BUt to answer your question. Yep, it seems like Android 10 itself is the actual culprit. This is what I have read when I was the 6T. Dont know if there is any truth to that.
My pixel 3xl has android 10 on it and works flawlessly.
Every 5g phone I've tried has had GPS lock issues. T-mobile released an update that was supposed to fix it when I had the one plus 7t pro McClaren and it improved it but definitely didn't fix it.

waternut13134

Oct 29, 2012
I have issues with my ultra as well. Using waze it was putting me almost a Mille off I had to stop and restart everything and then it worked. Someone in the S20 sub reddit mentioned it and a bunch of people had the issue as well.

Jun 2, 2017
Ya know I hate to bring it up but a scary thought occurred to me...
The gps issues make the find me app almost useless. God forbid you leave or your phone walks off.
If the gps doesn't track correctly that feature is not gonna be reliable.
I don't even know who to blame here...
The device the 5g???
Seems to be pretty obvious its a 5g issue. None of my 4g phones have the gps lock issue.
Why do they even integrate it into the data. Couldn't it run as a standalone? Its got its own antenea doesn't it?

This is so disappointing... i did NOT buy this phone for the 5g but it seems that it might ruin it for me.
My gps is pretty important to me.

mzsquared

Feb 22, 2018
CT
If the gps doesn't track correctly that feature is not gonna be reliable.
I don't even know who to blame here...
The device the 5g???
Seems to be pretty obvious its a 5g issue. None of my 4g phones have the gps lock issue.
Why do they even integrate it into the data. Couldn't it run as a standalone? Its got its own antenea doesn't it?

This is so disappointing... i did NOT buy this phone for the 5g but it seems that it might ruin it for me.
My gps is pretty important to me.
"the 5g???" That's a valid assumption imo, 5G interference(stronger source) against GPS(weaker RF signals)

hello00

Dec 29, 2009
South Miami, FL

I'm with tmo and sometimes I have these issues on my s10+. Tmo in Miami sucks. I'm also switching to at&t since they have better coverage in South Florida than Tmo.

sekigah84

Jan 14, 2009
New York City
I'm on the T-Mobile S20 Ultra.

I recently came from the OnePlus 7T Pro 5G McLaren edition. GPS would not lock on the McLaren 5G because of 5G. When you disabled it, it would start working again if connected on LTE or WIFI.

Considering someone above tried that already, it might be a few other things:
#1 - Depends on the GPS app you are using. Maps worked best with Google Location Services enabled. Waze has been wonky on all devices lately. It took me 10-15 seconds to get a lock last night as an example but it eventually locked on (unlike the OnePlus McLaren which could go forever until it did).
#2 - Software glitch. Just like the OnePlus McLaren, a patch will be released to fix the issues with GPS and 5G. It was an issue on a lot of 5G variants of phones.
#3 - 5G Interferes with GPS (rumor and speculation by others)

Epyoch

Feb 29, 2012
Bremerton, WA
I have the same issue sometimes its fine and other times I'm 600 meters off to the north east. It feels random. When I plug my phone into my android auto it locks right on but according to gps status pro the device thinks its 600 meters off. So when I unplug it shoots me right back to the wrong location.

rEVOLVE

Nov 16, 2006
What’s weird is I used GPS on the phone to drive from Northern to Southern CA on Wednesday. Then I think on the last part of the trip, as I arrived in LA, the GPS lost and couldn’t maintain lock. Yesterday and today GPS lock was nonexistent driving around Ontario, Rialto areas of SoCal. Had to rely on map and directions of Waze and not tracking location.

Paul_Deemer

Sep 21, 2017
Greenville
My GPS is nearly flawless for me - best I have seen on any previous android - and very fast....
You using The International Version? Because the problem is with the Snapdragon chipsets on the U.S. Phones. The Exynos chipsets in the International version don't have this problem.

Last edited:

Geekser

May 18, 2017
Milwaukee
ShimmeringGlass.com
You using The International Version? Because the problem is with the Snapdragon chipsets on the U.S. Phones. The Exynos chipsets in the International version don't have this problem.
G988U - Snapdragon - never had an Issue that I am aware of - when I run an apk to test GPS, I pickup all the satelites in seconds- it happens really quick and I haven't noticed any issues -

tell me how I can 'test it" to see if there are issues I am not aware of - but otherwise, it seems really good to me....

Paul_Deemer

Sep 21, 2017
Greenville
G988U - Snapdragon - never had an Issue that I am aware of - when I run an apk to test GPS, I pickup all the satelites in seconds- it happens really quick and I haven't noticed any issues -

tell me how I can 'test it" to see if there are issues I am not aware of - but otherwise, it seems really good to me....
Read Article below - If your GPS works fine then your not affected by this problem.
https://thedroidguy.com/galaxy-s20-gps-issues-1124687

Last edited:
Reactions: Geekser

Geekser

May 18, 2017
Milwaukee
ShimmeringGlass.com
Read Article below - If your GPS works fine then your not affected by this problem.
https://thedroidguy.com/galaxy-s20-gps-issues-1124687
I guess I am lucky then. I haven't really had any issues with this phone, aside from a little bit of the focus issues that were happening with the camera - those have seemed to gotten better too - and like most previous Samsung PHones the S20 ultra will only get better as more updates are released.

The screen shot below is from the GPS Test apk - in the past, if I tried doing a test indoors, it usualy took a few minutes to acquire satelights - but with my new S20 Ultra - I acquire satelights within seconds of opening the apk. It happens really fast for me....hope yours gets working better in the near future...
View attachment 4976837

stickydonkey

Nov 28, 2007
Far far away...
I'm on the US Unlocked Snapdragon and i was definitely having GPS issues. I had GPS Status & Toolbox app installed with the Time to fix status enabled. Almost always between 60 to 90 seconds to get first fix even after doing it repetitively. After the latest firmware update i'm now getting an almost instant fix based on the GPS Status & Toolbox app. I was also having issues with WAZE not locking on for a long time. Google Maps seemed better. WAZE now locks on almost immediately.