• XDA Forums have been migrated to XenForo. We are aware of several issues including missing threads, logins not working, and more. To discuss, use this thread.
  • If you are experiencing issues logging in, we migrated and software and made it more secure. We recommend trying to reset your password.

Anyone else think Sony has "downgraded" it's UX?

TheCraig

Sep 3, 2011
Helloooooooooooooo
I mean I welcome a cleaner interface, I love how close it resembles AOSP but the launcher... I miss the Xperia Z1 slide from the left to bring up short cuts to the Play Store, etc.

I haven't had the phone long enough but the camera has had a huge improvement in terms of UX.

Also I am hoping they introduce more software features in the Marshmallow update since not much has changed on a software level from the Z1. I never paid attention to the Z2 or Z3+ as I was generally satisfied by the Xperia Z1 up until now. I would have got a Galaxy S6 if the Z5 wasn't waterproof/Galaxy S7 around the corner = me no patience.

Last edited:

sci2

Aug 30, 2008
NJ
I agree, it has gone backwards slightly. Nexus devices are stock and in my opinion drab. I appreciate the OEM customization layers.
That's a slippery slope and one I don't necessarily agree with. Touchwiz on Samsung, for instance crippled the S6 so badly it is ridiculous. HTC Sense caused problems as well. Google's vanilla experience is slick and fast and Android's openness allows you to find a launcher to suit your needs. Odds are there is one that will emulate whatever experience you are looking for. I switched to the Z5 in large part because of its light touch coupled with the hardware features I really wanted (bigger battery, weatherproof, expandable storage).

TheCraig

Sep 3, 2011
Helloooooooooooooo
That's a slippery slope and one I don't necessarily agree with. Touchwiz on Samsung, for instance crippled the S6 so badly it is ridiculous. HTC Sense caused problems as well. Google's vanilla experience is slick and fast and Android's openness allows you to find a launcher to suit your needs. Odds are there is one that will emulate whatever experience you are looking for. I switched to the Z5 in large part because of its light touch coupled with the hardware features I really wanted (bigger battery, weatherproof, expandable storage).
I think our point is they have reduced the functionality of their own software from an initial perspective. I like the labels below the icons on the home screen but the slide to the left thing was really useful, now I have to click the menu button to sort apps, which is about 3 more clicks compared to just 1 swipe and a single click. I may sound tedious but the launcher is a step back, the camera's most recent update however makes it imo the best on Android (the UX itself, I have access to an LG G4, and a SGS6 and Sony's Camera UX is pretty impressive)

Overall the stock firmware is much better than my Z1 (which by todays standards is pretty outdated) but I'm glad I never got a Z3+.

I also hope Sony has kept back some goodies for Marshmallow.

Phazonclash

Feb 14, 2013
Montreal
Coming from a Note 3 and a OnePlus One, both running CM12.1, I'm pretty happy with the current Xperia firmware. I was hesitating between the Z5 and the S6 Edge: The almost stock firmware is what made me choose the Z5. I'm glad Sony decided to stick with the (almost) stock Quick Toggles/Notifications panel

wakers

Jan 17, 2010
www.rushcycles.co.uk
Google themselves are putting pressure on manufacturers to not bloat there phones so I think you'll see slimming down of software so that performance isn't affected to much have to say coming from a nexus the raw Google experience is slick, in fairness though pretty happy with the Sony doesn't seem to laggy at all just a few software glitches every now and again, it used to be the manufacturer would skin Google to make it a viable seller but that's less and less necessary these days

Sent from my Sony Z5 ooossshhhh

RohMish

Aug 5, 2011
Mumbai
What I like is that unlike LG, Samsung and xiaomi, Sony has a good balance between stock look and cudtomisation. Its not bloated with confusing and unnecessary features like others but it still has some features that stock is missing.

Reactions: cianetto

shravansp24

Mar 28, 2013
I mean I welcome a cleaner interface, I love how close it resembles AOSP but the launcher... I miss the Xperia Z1 slide from the left to bring up short cuts to the Play Store, etc.

I haven't had the phone long enough but the camera has had a huge improvement in terms of UX.

Also I am hoping they introduce more software features in the Marshmallow update since not much has changed on a software level from the Z1. I never paid attention to the Z2 or Z3+ as I was generally satisfied by the Xperia Z1 up until now. I would have got a Galaxy S6 if the Z5 wasn't waterproof/Galaxy S7 around the corner = me no patience.
Me!
I really loved the android 4.1.2ui on my xperia ZR with its fluid animations. Then the 4.3 came with white ui and i got used to it and it's themes.. The kitkat was even better bringing transparent status bar and good..
Then lollipop came and i felt the ui not that great compared to the kitkar or jb ones..
Now i tried my friend's Z5 and it looks even bad at some places

doministry

Sep 25, 2008
Bytom, Poland
doministry.blogspot.com
I mostly like the new UI. But it just has too many top-bar colours.
I liked the white classy 4.4... But only in the top bar context.
Actually all pop-up windows are looking really good on 5.1, they looked awkward on all previous Androids.
So it's a mixed bag. And I don't miss the left-side menu on app drawer.
However I still prefer Sony's elements over Android's stock ones.

Hnnryyb

May 14, 2013
please no

new interface is beautiful looks a lot as AOSP but still have SONY style, new app drawer is nice, i do feel it lacking something but its definitely not the left swipe thing in most SONY phones nowadays, i feel like the app grid is huge we need smaller icons , but those thing doesn't really bother me in experience the phone I love it