Question Anyone find a way to allow free hotspot use? P6P rooted.......

Search This thread

NippleSauce

Jun 23, 2013
This is confusing to me. On T-Mobile with an unlimited data plan, you get unlimited hotspot usage lol. After 10GB of data use over tethering/hotspot, your hotspot speeds are slightly reduced. No apps or Magisk modules are required.

I haven't tried screen mirroring, however, Chromecasting works fine for me.

rester555

Oct 27, 2010
Google Pixel 6 Pro
This thread brings up another interesting point, has anyone used this module over a carrier imposed data limit to see if you still can hotspot at premium speeds? I use VPN and VPN tether to spoof using hotspot data so they don't deprioritize me. Does this module also do that?

Az Biker

Sr. Mod / Mod & RC-RT Committees / Shred'r of MTBs
Staff member
This thread brings up another interesting point, has anyone used this module over a carrier imposed data limit to see if you still can hotspot at premium speeds? I use VPN and VPN tether to spoof using hotspot data so they don't deprioritize me. Does this module also do that?
I would think this wouldn't work as the throttled speeds happen when a quantity of data is reached.

Modules like this bypass the block of the feature, but can't stop the carrier from counting the usage and throttling once a limit is reached.

You can slide a fake card to get free gas, but the pump still knows how much gas came out :D

VPN might assist in hiding where or who is using the data so it doesn't count against your account, but I'm not sure about any of that.

• Haha
Reactions: roirraW "edor" ehT

rester555

Oct 27, 2010
Google Pixel 6 Pro
I would think this wouldn't work as the throttled speeds happen when a quantity of data is reached.

Modules like this bypass the block of the feature, but can't stop the carrier from counting the usage and throttling once a limit is reached.

You can slide a fake card to get free gas, but the pump still knows how much gas came out :D

VPN might assist in hiding where or who is using the data so it doesn't count against your account, but I'm not sure about any of that.
So I can confirm over many years on Verizon's plans that you can spoof their hotspot data limit by using VPN and VPN hotspot (vpn tethering). I have been using it successfully for 8 years. You can also bypass their hotspot tethering block if it's not on your plan as I have been doing this for about a year now by using VPN and VPN hotspot.

Reactions: Az Biker

Az Biker

Sr. Mod / Mod & RC-RT Committees / Shred'r of MTBs
Staff member
So I can confirm over many years on Verizon's plans that you can spoof their hotspot data limit by using VPN and VPN hotspot (vpn tethering). I have been using it successfully for 8 years. You can also bypass their hotspot tethering block if it's not on your plan as I have been doing this for about a year now by using VPN and VPN hotspot.
Hmm, interesting.

It sounds like using VPN in conjunction with this module is the golden ticket.

Module unlocks the tether/hotspot feature, and VPN bypasses their ability to quantify the amount of data you're using.

Good to know.

rester555

Oct 27, 2010
Google Pixel 6 Pro
Yeah, the way I have been doing it for so long is I enable VPN first (any VPN service, but I have done this successfully with PIA and ExpressVPN). Then I use the app VPN Hotspot and select this option in the app:
picture.png

After that, if you have a hotspot SSID setup in your phone, it will open this option for you to select in the VPN Hotspot app:

Screenshot 2022-01-20 094832.png

EDIT: After selecting this, other devices will see your hotspot SSID that you created. You can check that it works by using your tethered device and going to a website that shows your external IP address to verify you are showing the location you picked in your VPN app.

Last edited:

rester555

Oct 27, 2010
Google Pixel 6 Pro
Hmm, interesting.

It sounds like using VPN in conjunction with this module is the golden ticket.

Module unlocks the tether/hotspot feature, and VPN bypasses their ability to quantify the amount of data you're using.

Good to know.
With my method described in post #29, you don't necessarily need the untether block module. But it's a nicety.

mac796

Aug 20, 2014
Long Beach
Yeah, the way I have been doing it for so long is I enable VPN first (any VPN service, but I have done this successfully with PIA and ExpressVPN). Then I use the app VPN Hotspot and select this option in the app: View attachment 5513635

After that, if you have a hotspot SSID setup in your phone, it will open this option for you to select in the VPN Hotspot app:

View attachment 5513649

EDIT: After selecting this, other devices will see your hotspot SSID that you created. You can check that it works by using your tethered device and going to a website that shows your external IP address to verify you are showing the location you picked in your VPN app.
Thanks for this. I'm testing it out with t mobile now. See if it quits adding against me.

rester555

Oct 27, 2010
Google Pixel 6 Pro
Thanks for this. I'm testing it out with t mobile now. See if it quits adding against me.
Sometimes your VPN turns on and off. Your VPN app also might have an option of a kill switch when your VPN is not active. This will make sure you don't use hotspot data with your VPN turned off when the kill switch is activated. That way the ISP can't tell if you are using hotspot data.

rester555

Oct 27, 2010
Google Pixel 6 Pro
As a side note, it was hard to find this information back in 2013 on XDA since it's a grey area legally. But I have been pretty principled about the hotspot data charging. It's BS that ISPs charge you TWICE for using the same pipeline of data. Whether you are using your phone or a hotspot, it's still the same data pipeline. The reason a charge was instituted back in 2011/2012 for hotspot by the ISPs was due to saturation of LTE towers. But it's been proven by audits of outside companies that the ISP towers handle Quality of Service (QOS) packets automatically and if anyone is taxing the tower, they deprioritize them whether they are using a hotspot or not. Now that the bandwidth and technology is available with 5G and with 4G LTE, I don't understand charging for hotspot data. It was ludicrous then and it is still now. This has been a nickel and dime scheme from the beginning from the ISPs. And because of this nonsense, it's emboldended cable provider ISPs (Charter, Comcast, and Cox) to add data limits under the guise of bandwidth saturation.

mac796

Aug 20, 2014
Long Beach
Sometimes your VPN turns on and off. Your VPN app also might have an option of a kill switch when your VPN is not active. This will make sure you don't use hotspot data with your VPN turned off when the kill switch is activated. That way the ISP can't tell if you are using hotspot data.
It does work for me. And speed is fine

B from C

Aug 18, 2015
Is it still working for you? I thought T-Mobile throttles speeds down to 3G speeds (<512kbps) on VPN traffic after a point; have you experienced that?
T-Mobile does indeed attempt to throttle or block tethering speeds depending on your plan and usage. But how do they do this? For several years now they apparently do this by monitoring the Time-To-Live (TTL) information on the network traffic coming from your phone. Traffic routing through your phone (tethered) will have a different TTL than traffic originating from your phone. You can dance around this by either changing/spoofing the TTL values of your tethered traffic to match those of your phone or hiding it all through a VPN tunnel. There are several threads on this forum detailing each approach.

mac796

Aug 20, 2014
Long Beach
Is it still working for you? I thought T-Mobile throttles speeds down to 3G speeds (<512kbps) on VPN traffic after a point; have you experienced that?
It does still work. Although ip vanish doesn't work for a VPN anymore. I'm using adguard.

Edit also you need a custom kernel with the TTL. There prob other ways but this is easiest for me

Last edited:

ilmar72

Aug 30, 2009
vpn hotspot works, but you need root. I refuse to root anymore.. just unnecessary headaches.
This hotspot tethering was literally the last good reason I had to root a phone. Now that it doesn't cost much to actually have legit tethering from my carrier... I no longer need root nor vpn hotspot. My ATT plan offered 20GB of hotspot, and now I am on t-mobile which is 40GB before they throttle. That and I have the T-mobile unlimitted home wifi 5g hotspot (which is epic by the way !) so I really have not much of a need at all to wifi tether with my phone anymore unless I'm on the road or something and need to quick fire up my laptop.

my suggestion... just get a legit plan

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I'm on Verizon and I use this module with zero issues. https://github.com/evdenis/tether_unblock/releases
    As a side note, it was hard to find this information back in 2013 on XDA since it's a grey area legally. But I have been pretty principled about the hotspot data charging. It's BS that ISPs charge you TWICE for using the same pipeline of data. Whether you are using your phone or a hotspot, it's still the same data pipeline. The reason a charge was instituted back in 2011/2012 for hotspot by the ISPs was due to saturation of LTE towers. But it's been proven by audits of outside companies that the ISP towers handle Quality of Service (QOS) packets automatically and if anyone is taxing the tower, they deprioritize them whether they are using a hotspot or not. Now that the bandwidth and technology is available with 5G and with 4G LTE, I don't understand charging for hotspot data. It was ludicrous then and it is still now. This has been a nickel and dime scheme from the beginning from the ISPs. And because of this nonsense, it's emboldended cable provider ISPs (Charter, Comcast, and Cox) to add data limits under the guise of bandwidth saturation.
    I'm on Verizon and I use this module with zero issues. https://github.com/evdenis/tether_unblock/releases
    I just tried this and it seems to work so far. Thanks. The connection seems a bit slower than what I'm used to but I'll keep testing.
    Does this module require vpn and vpn tethering?
    Nope.
    On Verizon's new 5g plans, you no longer get deprioritized on their highest cost plan... so it's similar to the OG UDP.

View attachment 5513045
    Yeah, I saw that, but I failed to mention that I get a discount on my plan through my employer. So it's a nice hefty 30%~ off per month and new plans are not eligible for employer discounts.
    I just tried this and it seems to work so far. Thanks. The connection seems a bit slower than what I'm used to but I'll keep testing.
    Strange, the speeds seem fine to me when I'm tethering from my phone. With ****ty signal and only 4G I'm getting like 40-50 Down and 2-5 Up.
    Haven't used it in a while, but does anyone know if PdaNet+ still works?