Question Anyone found a good glass screen protector that doesnt screw with the fingerprint scanner?

Search This thread

HLyons

Oct 4, 2014
I tried 2 before reading reviews....they make the fingerprint scanner almost useless. I tried looking up reviews of other alternatives and they all aren't great.

Even the more expensive choices. I'm now looking at full case (aka front and back covers) choices. I have typically hated them (like the Otterbox, etc). Anyone know of a full body case that doesn't add a ton of size to the phone.

I tried one of those ebay glass front/back cases and I love it but once you dropped the case it pretty much was useless (either glass screen cracked or they case never stayed together after a significant drop...magnets are what held the 2 examples I tried....clearly the quality was hit or miss).

Am I just being picky? I'm either looking looking a full body case that's mostly clear and doesn't a ton of size or a glass screen protector that actually works with the fingerprint scanner.

Never had this many issues trying to get something that works consistently.

joancolmenares

Jun 14, 2008
Chicago, USA
When I had my note 20 ultra I bought tempered glass for it and I basically had to turn on increased touch sensitivity, and delete and readd all fingerprints and it kinda worked but was annoying as hell..

I then changed (and I use also for my s21 ultra) something called hydrogel which is not hard as temperedglass or ceramic shield, but it does a hell of a job protecting the screen AND doesn't affect fingerprints, I actually hit the screen against a table corner and nothing happened...

HLyons

Oct 4, 2014
When I had my note 20 ultra I bought tempered glass for it and I basically had to turn on increased touch sensitivity, and delete and readd all fingerprints and it kinda worked but was annoying as hell..

I then changed (and I use also for my s21 ultra) something called hydrogel which is not hard as temperedglass or ceramic shield, but it does a hell of a job protecting the screen AND doesn't affect fingerprints, I actually hit the screen against a table corner and nothing happened...
I'll check out hydrogen. Thanks.

Sonin66

Dec 15, 2012
Cleveland, OH
There are a few post already talking about glass screen protectors. White stone dome and amfilm seem to be good competitors. I have whitestone and love the feel. As far as a clear case, my wife has Speigen hybrid with a clear back but it will def scratch because it's plastic. I wanted to try your glass case but I knew better that it would crack or break when dropped

Reactions: whitehawk66

LucoBuck

Oct 10, 2010
I've got the Whitestone Dome Glass and the fingerprint reader works fine. Don't forget to remove the factory-installed screen protector first. I forgot that the first time, and that screwed with the fingerprint reader.

There are a few post already talking about glass screen protectors. White stone dome and amfilm seem to be good competitors. I have whitestone and love the feel. As far as a clear case, my wife has Speigen hybrid with a clear back but it will def scratch because it's plastic. I wanted to try your glass case but I knew better that it would crack or break when dropped

I also use the Spigen Neo-Hybrid screen protector. It's clear, good quality and works just fine. I think the finger print sensor issues are more about Samsung's continued failure in this arena rather it being a screen protector issue.

I've got the Whitestone Dome Glass and the fingerprint reader works fine. Don't forget to remove the factory-installed screen protector first. I forgot that the first time, and that screwed with the fingerprint reader.
Same I also have the WSD glass protector and I love it I haven't had any finger print sensor issues. Been using 3 weeks now

Reactions: kipue

kipue

Sep 3, 2009
Hong Kong
Same I also have the WSD glass protector and I love it I haven't had any finger print sensor issues. Been using 3 weeks now
That's good to know. I plan to get one, and there are quite a few people reporting that even Whitestone glass would make the finger print scanner work less well...
I think maybe it's due to improper installation steps

Sonin66

Dec 15, 2012
Cleveland, OH
There was a time whitestone didn't work for me when I got my s10 plus. Bought it from samsung along with a whitestone from Amazon. Back when you had to tilt the tray and pull tab to drop the protector on. It went perfect 3 times I did it but the fingerprint scanner would barely recognize my print, had to go with a zagg. I don't know what the difference with their glass now, but my finger print is reading. I did hold down 30 secs after the initial 15 secs to cure it, but I didn't do it on my wife's and hers is working also. I also put my print scan more than once just so I wouldn't have a prob but it works unless my hands are dry

Batfink33

I don't know what's happened to Whitestone because I had it on my S8plus and it was great but the s21u one is trash. The first of the two I had chipped in the corner (no idea how) and when I tried to take it off it was stuck to the screen and was a nightmare to take off, I had to use a hairdryer and slowly pick it off. I put a new one on last Friday and now this one has chipped. I haven't dropped it or anything, it's almost like the glass is so thin it's crumbled away. The quality has gone downhill and the glass seems so thin now it's just not lasting long.

Bsball721

Oct 24, 2015
I had one of these on my s10+. It felt great and looked beautiful, but the finger on another thread here a discount for amfilm.
I used one of these on my s10+ and it felt great and looked beautiful. The FP sensor only worked 20% of the time, but ultimately I hardly needed to use it. I found a discount code on another thread. There were actually 2 codes, 1 for 30% off and another for 20% off the amfilm tempered glass. Amazon also had a $2 off coupon. It took it from $40 20 $17.99. For that price I will do it and try putting pressure on it after the initial uv.

kipue

Sep 3, 2009
Hong Kong
I had one of these on my s10+. It felt great and looked beautiful, but the finger on another thread here a discount for amfilm.

I used one of these on my s10+ and it felt great and looked beautiful. The FP sensor only worked 20% of the time, but ultimately I hardly needed to use it. I found a discount code on another thread. There were actually 2 codes, 1 for 30% off and another for 20% off the amfilm tempered glass. Amazon also had a $2 off coupon. It took it from $40 20 $17.99. For that price I will do it and try putting pressure on it after the initial uv.
I think I saw a video, where it shows that AM film actually gives a little metal weight to place over the FP sensor when using the UV to put a bit of pressure on that point.

superdan2481

Oct 20, 2010
I love the amfilm one! A little bit more pricey than I'm used to paying, but it's 39.99 for 2 tempered glass screens and a UV light that works awesome. Only after effects was some of the liquid you use to cure the screen kinda didn't fully cure on the edges so a little bit liquid. That you could just wipe off, but other than that I love it and it works great!. Honestly tho my fingerprints are crap because I work in the field alot. But when my fingerprints are clean and warm lol it works great!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Maybe they are trying to get it as thin as possible to facilitate solid response of the FP sensor, thus the thin glass.... Just a thought, no excuse :)