Anyone get CIFS modules loaded yet?

akameswaran

Aug 5, 2011
I use cifs and smanager to access my nas on my old prime. I hoped that the kernel modules from the prime would work on the infinity as well. Sadly, the modules seem to load with no issue, but when I go to mount, the infinity reboots itself.

I can't for the life of me remember where I got the prime modules, although if memory serves, the ones I found for stock ICS kernel elsewhere on XDA did not work. I still tried those modules on the infinity as well and they also crashed. That aside, has anyone found or compiled a set of cifs and md4 modules?

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

Einride

Sep 8, 2010
I've compiled the kernel from the 9.4.5.22 source downloaded from Asus' website, mainly for testing purposes so far.

I quickly compiled the cifs module so you can give that a try if you want. Should hopefully work.

And the usual: I've not tested it myself, so don't blame me if your cat suddenly catches fire or something :p

Link to cifs.ko (zipped to reduce size): https://www.dropbox.com/s/kkncl23a4e5b62m/cifs.zip

akameswaran

Aug 5, 2011
Thanks bro, seems to be working like a charm, with the other md4.ko I had grabbed off my prime. If you get bored, would you compile md4.ko too? even though it works, I'd rather have a consistent module set.

Although, noticing ASUS has the source online, I guess I really should set up my own kernel compile environment. If I do so, I'll certainly review the relevant threads on XDA.

Again many thanks.

Einride

Sep 8, 2010
Glad to hear it's working! I'll look into the md4 module tomorrow. As long as there aren't a lot of dependencies I'm assuming it will compile just fine.

Didn't take too long to set up a build environment if you want to give it a go. I used Ubuntu 12.04 and got the pre built tool chain from Google as per the instructions on developer.android.com for kernel compilation.

I've added a git repository on github with the stock source from the 9.4.5.22 release by Asus if you just want the source code quickly. Feel free to fork it:

https://github.com/oddeirik/TF700T-kernel

Hopefully I'll get time to actually do some kernel development, but work is taking up a lot of time these days. Besides, we're getting JB soon, aren't we? :p

Reactions: mp1405

akameswaran

Aug 5, 2011
Thanks again. While actual kernel dev is beyond my meager 6 lines of C, compiling my own mods/optimized kernels are things I used to do all the time before work got in my way. So I'm adding a kernel dev environment to my main ubuntu dev box now. Really, if I have the environment setup, compiling standard kernel mods should be quick and easy, and your rapid help has made me feel lazy ;)

And I wouldn't count on JB any time soon, I'm still waiting for face unlock

Reactions: Einride

dbzer0

Mar 3, 2011
Hello there, can you perhaps help me set this up myself as well? I downloaded the files, but I cannot push them with adb into /system/lib/modules as it tells me the filesystem is read-only. Can you tell me where should I put these files in and how to make cifsmanager see them? Thanks in advance!

akameswaran

Aug 5, 2011
if you are using es explorer (which I highly recommend) make sure you set mount / as r/w in the settings. I think Smanager also has that option, but it seems more picky. FYI - I would recommend setting up SManager and setting up a mount script on network. IT keeps my nas library connected so PowerAMP doesn't pitch a fit ;)

dbzer0

Mar 3, 2011
Sorry I'm a general noob at these kind of things. I just used adb push to send the files. I never even heard of es explorer or Smanager. Can you point me to more info perhaps? Thanks.

akameswaran

Aug 5, 2011
So lets see if I can help a bit. Although I am lazy ;) I prefer to avoid ADB outside of my own app development and rom/rooting.

1) ES Explorer is a file manager, and works well for rooted devices. If you set permissions in the settings of ES explorer you can mount / as read/write which you need to do if you want to add modules in the system area.
2) SManager runs scripts for you and can be set to auto run scripts on certain conditions.

So my setup is like this.
1) Download zip files to tablet, use es explorer to unzip and copy the /system/lib/modules
2) create a quick and dirty script to load modules and setup my mount points. I suggest for ICS creating the mount points in /Removable. also a good idea to drop .nomedia files in your mount points. This will prevent the tablet from trying to index those directories which can suck when your mount points aren't accessible.
3) Setup SManager to run that script as root, and on network.

my script where I mount to shares on the same NAS is as follows.

#!/system/bin/sh

insmod /system/lib/modules/cifs.ko
insmod /system/lib/modules/md4.ko
mkdir /Removable/music
mkdir /Removable/Volume_1
mount -o username=REPLACEWITHUSER,password=REPLACEWITHPASSWORD -t cifs //CIFSHOSTNAMEORIPADDRESS/music /Removable/music
mount -o username=REPLACEWITHUSER,password=REPLACEWITHPASSWORD -t cifs // CIFSHOSTNAMEORIPADDRESS /Volume_1 /Removable/Volume_1

I've never had any luck with cifsmanager doing what I wanted. Oh and ES Explorer can mount shares, but not in a way that makes android think they are local and this has consequences.

Hope this helps.

ASUS Transformer Infinity TF700 - rooted/stock
Motorola ATRIX 4G - Rooted/Currently Stock/No longer in use - anyone need a guinea pig?
Motorola ATRIX2 - vanilla
ASUS Transformer TF101 - now vanilla and given to the wife
Really I swear I've had lots of roms on these devices at other times.

eoh7678

Oct 13, 2008
Any chance someone can compile CIFS for the newer .26 kernel?

My ubuntu VM died a horrible death and I just haven't had the time to rebuild it lately.

Thanks!

Einride

Sep 8, 2010
.26 uses the same kernel version as .22 and there haven't been any changes to the CIFS or MD4 source as far as I can tell. In other words, the modules should work on both .22 and .26.

RYO-_-

Oct 7, 2010
Really big thanks to you guys I get SMB share working.
Thanks to Einride for compiling both cifs.ko and md4.ko
Thanks to akameswaran for his methods based on scripting with SManager.
The only last point is for accent characters that are not working, I think that I need to set iocharset=utf8 option on mount but I haven't found nls_utf8.ko for the moment.
I'll keep you in touch when I found it.
Kind regards.