Anyone get their Pixel 2 wet often ?

Search This thread

mikeprius

Jan 13, 2014
Orange County, California
Now that the Pixel 2 is water resistant, does anyone get their phone wet or in water often ? I recently took mine hiking which was perfect for the camera, and after the trip it was dusty and oily from use. I took the phone and turned it off and submerged it in warm water and washed it for a few minutes and let it dry. Now it is clean and good to go no problems. I generally don't get my phone wet often, but I'll probably start washing it after trips like these.

WryIchi

Dec 20, 2008
Just be careful you don't make the water too warm, and absolutely don't use soap. This sort of waterproofing takes advantage of surface tension, and either of those two things can defeat it and let water seep in.

robocuff

Jul 23, 2011
Now that the Pixel 2 is water resistant, does anyone get their phone wet or in water often ? I recently took mine hiking which was perfect for the camera, and after the trip it was dusty and oily from use. I took the phone and turned it off and submerged it in warm water and washed it for a few minutes and let it dry. Now it is clean and good to go no problems. I generally don't get my phone wet often, but I'll probably start washing it after trips like these.

I only have one thing to say. You're either braver or crazier than i am. I haven't yet figured out which one it is though. :D

Last edited:

DJarkIV

Jul 8, 2012
Just when I turn it on ? But seriously, I feel like I can help you out here. Since I'm an auto detailer for a living I can tell you that water does not clean oil at all. And it's highly unadvisable to get your pixel that wet on purpose. I recommend a high quality microfiber towel and a spritz or two of rinceless wash on the towel. I use Carpro EcH2O but any rinceless wash will do. Nice thing about Carpro EcH2O is that there is ceramic coating properties within it so you're adding a bit of ceramic protection to the screen and enclosure of the phone. This not only adds a protective barrier but also keeps it cleaner and easier to clean in the even it does get dirty. That product must be diluted and will last you a lifetime and you can use it on your car as well. But in a pinch I would use Isopropanol Alcohol on a microfiber and that will do just as good of a job cleaning it up without getting the phone wet. Hope this helps you.

Last edited:

PuffDaddy_d

Aug 29, 2010
Houston, TX
I saw a YouTube video of a guy who took his pixel 2 into the pool and even though it survived, the speaker output was drastically reduced, even after it dried. I wouldn't intentionally submerge any device. The water proofing is for emergency only.

Ecna

Nov 21, 2017
I wash my Pixel 2 phone occasionally. I had an S7 Edge that I washed all the time and used for underwater photography. I've only submerged my Pixel 2 for photos once or twice, and so far so good.

One warning though, your USB cable isn't waterproof. I toasted a couple USB cords with a wet USB port before I realized what was going on. Consider covering up the USB port when you're getting your phone wet, and make sure it's dry before you charge it.

Almost every time both phones got submerged, the speaker was weird for a few hours. Once it dried out it was fine.

But you know, YMMV. :)

---------- Post added at 12:12 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:10 AM ----------

Oh also, remember that fast moving water can push it's way into the waterproofing a lot faster than water pressure alone. I always try to avoid water coming straight out of the faucet into a hole or seam.