Question Anyone get viper4android worked on A13 (Pixel 6 series)?

Search This thread

card13

@vibrantliker Sadly yes it appears no one here or in the main app thread has gotten it working yet. I'm thinking it's going to take a lot more work this time round unlike in versions past.

I'm currently working on decompiling the apk so I can figure out how the one feature I use is done, that way I can compare Apples to Apples in my tests. So far blindly testing PowerAmp's Stand-alone EQ app has done an ok job of being a workaround.

• Love
Reactions: yyz71

ecera

Jun 11, 2013
I think someone mentioned this before, but it seems that the devs of JamesDSP probably could guide us in the right direction. They have their module using the "lib64" files instead of "lib" files like viper. On A12 all audio processing is done through the regular lib files and on A13 all audio is being processed through lib64.

First screenshot is the pixel 6 pro running A13. Notice that James Dsp is utilizing lib64 folder. The second one is the OnePlus 9 pro A12. It's running both viper and James dsp, but they are utilizing regular lib folders. Apparently viper is trying to use the lib folder, but all the audio processing is being done through lib64 now.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220824-190803.png
    Screenshot_20220824-190803.png
    400.2 KB · Views: 245
  • Screenshot_2022-08-24-19-14-03-15_84d3000e3f4017145260f7618db1d683.jpg
    Screenshot_2022-08-24-19-14-03-15_84d3000e3f4017145260f7618db1d683.jpg
    607.8 KB · Views: 242
Last edited:

card13

Took and decompiled the apk to source for anyone else who wants to take a peak.

In case anyone is interested in the ViPER Bass feature, here is the description in Source:
"<string name="description_65574">&lt;p&gt;ViPER bass is a substitution for XHiFi’s Audio Reconstruction. It processes bass boost at lower frequencies&lt;/p&gt;&lt;br/&gt; &lt;p&gt;&lt;h5&gt;Bass mode&lt;/h5&gt;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;Defines the bass mode. Natural bass is alike ViPER XHiFi’s Lo Contour, pure bass+ gives clean bass and subwoofer gives huge bass.&lt;/p&gt;&lt;br/&gt; &lt;p&gt;&lt;h5&gt;Bass frequency&lt;/h5&gt;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;Defines the bass cut-off frequency&lt;/p&gt;&lt;br/&gt; &lt;p&gt;&lt;h5&gt;Bass gain&lt;/h5&gt;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;Defines the volume of ViPER bass&lt;/p&gt;</string>"

***EDIT***
I did lots of reading on how to achieve this in an EQ. Basically using High and Low Passes or High and Low Shelves equates to the Natural Bass, Pure Bass+ and Subwoofer. Then set the Frequencies for High/Low. Then how much Gain. For Subwoofer I did a Negative Gain on the Highs and a Positive Gain on the Lows.

Attachments

• V4A Source.zip
    19.7 MB · Views: 157
Last edited:

Suavie103

Jun 15, 2014
Google Pixel C
Google Pixel 4 XL
Mind walking is through the steps to get v4a working on a13?
Honestly, bro. I won't even lie to you. I don't know what happened. I had the initial driver bug. Mind you. That was my pixel 4 XL running 13. My daily driver is the 6 Pro. My 6 Pro has the exact same setup, yet viper is not processing. See the screenshots below. It honestly was just a fluke.

Screenshot_20220829-185028~2.jpg Screenshot_20220829-185018.jpg

Last edited:

chafedbm

Dec 23, 2010
I have a Pixel 6 Pro running A13 and Magisk 25.1. I installed V4A using the magisk module ViPER4Android_FX-v2_7_2_1-2721.zip and like everyone else I get the driver loop. I added the following lines to the post-fs-data.sh file:

magiskpolicy --live 'allow audioserver audioserver_tmpfs file { read write execute }'
magiskpolicy --live 'allow audioserver system_file file { execmod }'
magiskpolicy --live 'allow mediaserver mediaserver_tmpfs file { read write execute }'
magiskpolicy --live 'allow mediaserver system_file file { execmod }'
magiskpolicy --live 'allow audioserver unlabeled file { read write execute open getattr }'
magiskpolicy --live 'allow hal_audio_default hal_audio_default process { execmem }'
magiskpolicy --live 'allow hal_audio_default hal_audio_default_tmpfs file { execute }'
magiskpolicy --live 'allow hal_audio_default audio_data_file dir { search }'
magiskpolicy --live 'allow app app_data_file file { execute_no_trans }'
magiskpolicy --live 'allow mtk_hal_audio mtk_hal_audio_tmpfs file { execute }'

The the location of the post-fs-data.sh file is /data/adb/modules/ViPER4AndroidFX

When I got in my car and Android Auto started playing music I instantly noticed a difference. V4A was indeed processing the audio, however, I couldn't open the app to make any changes to any of the settings because as soon as I open the v4a app I get the message "Driver not installed blah, blah". As far as I can tell there is no way to clear the message off the screen to be able to make any settings changes in the app. I wanted to listen to music in my car so I uninstalled V4A right then and rebooted. When my phone connected to AA and started playing music the sound was back to "normal".

Glad to have seen this thread. My P6 Pro force updated from a November 2021 build (I know) to July 2022 without my permission (which really annoyed me) and lost root. I figured i'd upgrade to A13 while im this recent to make use of some of the new features and lo and behold, V4A isn't working.

I've tried every combination of Audio Compatibility Patch, Audio Modification Library, Ainur Narsil, SE Linux change and changing the post-fs-data.sh file.

I can't confirm if the audio has changed like @chafedbm above says but the driver definitely is stuck in an install loop which really sucks.

Nothing is as good as V4A. Hoping the geniuses at V4A Repackaged could address this since they're actively developing.

Github: https://github.com/programminghoch10/ViPER4AndroidRepackaged

Edit: Looks like the EQ values are remembered from my last install from when V4A was working but they're behind the driver install prompt. There values aren't actually doing anything.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220923-213235.png
    Screenshot_20220923-213235.png
    211.3 KB · Views: 123
Last edited:
Reactions: mmarcz

memocatcher

Dec 22, 2013
Some offtopic, but has anyone reached out to Team DeWitt yet? What are they saying about Android 12/13 support?
Honestly not in the loop

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I followed these steps (https://xdaforums.com/t/viper4android-pixel-6-pro-how-to-root-magisk-only.4382059/post-86183993) and it works on A12, but after the same steps on A13, the V4A cannot install the driver and didn't work. Does anyone successfully install the V4A? Thanks in advance!

Update:
    Can anyone help @mustang_ssc with the required files (https://xdaforums.com/t/anyone-get-viper4android-worked-on-a13.4480467/post-87518703)

Just to be clear, I know V4A works on many phones on the A13, but we're actually talking about the Pixel 6 (or 7) series, and no matter what magisk mods we've tried, it keeps asking for driver install.

Happy new year with the V4A reborn!

I have got it worked on my 6 pro (Dec update). Here is what I did:

• Download the magisk .zip and .apk file from the link above
    • Install .zip via magisk manager
    • Install .apk file
    • Reboot
    • Enable Master limiter and Legacy mode in V4A
    • Open a music app and enjoy it!
    Screenshot_20230102-151908.png
    I've been some weeks debugging this issue for A13, might be close to solve it. I need someone with the following requirements:

- Pixel 6 or Pixel 6 Pro
    - Android 12. Preferably stock, if not in stock mention your custom ROM.
    - Stock kernel
    - Viper installed from the latest Magisk module: https://github.com/programminghoch10/ViPER4AndroidRepackaged/releases/tag/v24

What I need after all requirements met is to send me the following files from your system:
    /system/etc/audio_effects.conf
    /vendor/etc/audio_effects.xml

Update:
    I also need you to let me know if the driver installation is already done after installing the module and restarting (no driver pop-up message in app) or after pressing driver installation in the app.
    I've been messing with this for a while. I figured out why it won't work, but I don't have a solution yet... maybe someone on this thread can help.

Every version of Android thus far has loaded audio effects from /vendor/lib/soundfx. Android 13, however, apparently loads the audio effects libs from /vendor/lib64/soundfx. While audio_effects.xml may look identical, the default path is lib64 instead of lib.
    V4A only provides /vendor/lib/soundfx/libv4a_fx.so, so when EffectsFactoryConfigLoader starts parsing audio_effects.xml, it can't find libv4a_fx.so because it's looking for it in /vendor/lib64/soundfx (logcat gives...)
    (
    09-24 01:32:51.487 2648 2648 E EffectsFactoryConfigLoader: Could not find library in effect directories: libv4a_fx.so
    )

You can *find* libv4a_fx.so by changing the patch in the module's install.sh to
    sed -i "/<libraries>/ a\ <library name=\"v4a_fx\" path=\"..\/..\/lib\/soundfx\/libv4a_fx.so\"\/>" $AUDIO_EFFECTS_FILE
    but this only works to find it, not open it (logcat gives....)
    (
    09-25 02:53:20.184 841 875 E EffectsFactoryConfigLoader: Could not dlopen library /vendor/lib64/soundfx/../../lib/soundfx/libv4a_fx.so: dlopen failed: "/vendor/lib/soundfx/libv4a_fx.so" is 32-bit instead of 64-bit
    )

The change to looking for audio effects libs in /vendor/lib64/soundfx matters because lib64 is full of 64-bit *.so files, whereas lib is full of 32-bit, and apparently the audio effects are being run as 64-bit binaries now.

So where I've gotten is how to find and try to open libv4a_fx.so. Where I'm stuck is how to actually open it.... I feel like there has to be a way to run just that one audio effect as 32-bit, but I have no idea how to do it yet
    I've been some weeks debugging this issue for A13, might be close to solve it. I need someone with the following requirements:

- Pixel 6 or Pixel 6 Pro
    - Android 12. Preferably stock, if not in stock mention your custom ROM.
    - Stock kernel
    - Viper installed from the latest Magisk module: https://github.com/programminghoch10/ViPER4AndroidRepackaged/releases/tag/v24

What I need after all requirements met is to send me the following files from your system:
    /system/etc/audio_effects.conf
    /vendor/etc/audio_effects.xml

Update:
    I also need you to let me know if the driver installation is already done after installing the module and restarting (no driver pop-up message in app) or after pressing driver installation in the app.
    Got it from an A12 custom ROM but I would like to get it from the stock ROM for a cleaner revision.
    Sent. A12 developer build.
    I have a Pixel 6 Pro running A13 and Magisk 25.1. I installed V4A using the magisk module ViPER4Android_FX-v2_7_2_1-2721.zip and like everyone else I get the driver loop. I added the following lines to the post-fs-data.sh file:

magiskpolicy --live 'allow audioserver audioserver_tmpfs file { read write execute }'
    magiskpolicy --live 'allow audioserver system_file file { execmod }'
    magiskpolicy --live 'allow mediaserver mediaserver_tmpfs file { read write execute }'
    magiskpolicy --live 'allow mediaserver system_file file { execmod }'
    magiskpolicy --live 'allow audioserver unlabeled file { read write execute open getattr }'
    magiskpolicy --live 'allow hal_audio_default hal_audio_default process { execmem }'
    magiskpolicy --live 'allow hal_audio_default hal_audio_default_tmpfs file { execute }'
    magiskpolicy --live 'allow hal_audio_default audio_data_file dir { search }'
    magiskpolicy --live 'allow app app_data_file file { execute_no_trans }'
    magiskpolicy --live 'allow mtk_hal_audio mtk_hal_audio_tmpfs file { execute }'

The the location of the post-fs-data.sh file is /data/adb/modules/ViPER4AndroidFX

When I got in my car and Android Auto started playing music I instantly noticed a difference. V4A was indeed processing the audio, however, I couldn't open the app to make any changes to any of the settings because as soon as I open the v4a app I get the message "Driver not installed blah, blah". As far as I can tell there is no way to clear the message off the screen to be able to make any settings changes in the app. I wanted to listen to music in my car so I uninstalled V4A right then and rebooted. When my phone connected to AA and started playing music the sound was back to "normal".