Question anyone have the Mix Fold 2 already? where is the mix fold 2 forum?

Search This thread

dee163

Nov 5, 2010
awesome, couldn't do that on release day in China though. very well could be different in other countries.
It took the person 2 weeks to purchase on my behalf . You can use the Xiaomi app similar to Taobao and JD , you are correct the phone sells quick as it is sold in a flash sale during the week but I believe now it will be easier to purchase

Reactions: carlitobahsoun

dee163

Nov 5, 2010
Can someone confirm the following
I installed the Google App but when I search for it in the app drawer it is not present.

If I search for the app in playstore , playstore indicates it is installed and I can open the Google app inside the playstore app. I rechecked in the app drawer and it is not there. Is there a solution to have it in the app drawer ?

frcraig

Jan 3, 2017
Halifax
Same issue. I got annoyed having to open the PlayStore and search for the Google App to open it from there, so I used the Activity Launcher app to create a shortcut for it

dee163

Nov 5, 2010
I tried activity launcher but I am getting this error

What am I doing wrong

Attachments

• Screenshot_2022-09-25-17-03-35-576_de.szalkowski.activitylauncher.jpg
    Screenshot_2022-09-25-17-03-35-576_de.szalkowski.activitylauncher.jpg
    375.9 KB · Views: 33

frcraig

Jan 3, 2017
Halifax
I tried activity launcher but I am getting this error

What am I doing wrong
Not sure why it won't work for you, but there is another method you can try. Press and hold on a blank space on the homescreen until it brings up App Vault / Add Widgets; scroll down past all the MIUI widgets until you see 'Android Widgets'; they aren't in alphabetical order but keep scrolling down until you see "Google" which has two options "Search" and "Calendar Search". Add the "Search" widget and you will get a search bar with the Google App icon, a space to enter searches, and a microphone to be used for voice searches. With this small search widget permantently on your homescreen, just click the little Google App icon that is part of this widet and voila - the Google App opens.

dee163

Nov 5, 2010
Not sure why it won't work for you, but there is another method you can try. Press and hold on a blank space on the homescreen until it brings up App Vault / Add Widgets; scroll down past all the MIUI widgets until you see 'Android Widgets'; they aren't in alphabetical order but keep scrolling down until you see "Google" which has two options "Search" and "Calendar Search". Add the "Search" widget and you will get a search bar with the Google App icon, a space to enter searches, and a microphone to be used for voice searches. With this small search widget permantently on your homescreen, just click the little Google App icon that is part of this widet and voila - the Google App opens.
Thank you for the 2nd option

This works. Activity launcher requires root?

Wanes085

Sep 24, 2022
Finally I got my fold 2 today. What a stunning device. Does anyone have a link / tutorial how to root the device ?

frcraig

Jan 3, 2017
Halifax
Hi, I just got a new update for my mix fold 2. I am rooted with unlocked bootloader. Stock recovery. Can I update?
If you are rooted with Magisk you can do what I did yesterday:
I first turned off "automatically install updates" in Developer Settings. Then I went into Settings and clicked on my MIUI 13.1.16 version and it prompted me to check for updates. When it found an update for 13.1.21 it asked if I wanted to download it and I clicked yes. When it finished downloading it asked me if I wanted to install and I clicked yes. It quickly downloaded a relatively small 1.8 GB incremental update and began to install it and part way through it stopped and said "error installing MIUI ROM update". I went back and checked for update again and again was prompted to download the update. This time it downloaded a much larger 5.4 GB update and when I chose to install. It took about twenty minutes to install but finished and then prompted me to reboot. I DID NOT reboot. Instead I opened the Magisk Manager app (I hadn't turned off Magisk or any of its modules) and within the Magisk Manager I chose to "install" Magisk (not 'install Magisk app') and I was then given three choices as to how to install Magisk. I chose "install to inactive slot after OTA"). When this completed within Magisk I was prompted to reboot my phone and it took about five minutes to boot back up (just like it did when I first flashed Magisk) and the phone was then up and running with the update installed and with Magisk still installed and all its modules still installed and active.

Xiaomi will allow OTA updates with root, but apparently only full, not incremental updates. When it first tries to install an incremental update it will fail, but just do it again and this time it downloads the full update and you are good to go.

dooley19

Jun 25, 2010
Xiaomi Mix Fold 2
I first turned off "automatically install updates" in Developer Settings. Then I went into Settings and clicked on my MIUI 13.1.16 version and it prompted me to check for updates. When it found an update for 13.1.21 it asked if I wanted to download it and I clicked yes. When it finished downloading it asked me if I wanted to install and I clicked yes. It quickly downloaded a relatively small 1.8 GB incremental update and began to install it and part way through it stopped and said "error installing MIUI ROM update". I went back and checked for update again and again was prompted to download the update. This time it downloaded a much larger 5.4 GB update and when I chose to install. It took about twenty minutes to install but finished and then prompted me to reboot. I DID NOT reboot. Instead I opened the Magisk Manager app (I hadn't turned off Magisk or any of its modules) and within the Magisk Manager I chose to "install" Magisk (not 'install Magisk app') and I was then given three choices as to how to install Magisk. I chose "install to inactive slot after OTA"). When this completed within Magisk I was prompted to reboot my phone and it took about five minutes to boot back up (just like it did when I first flashed Magisk) and the phone was then up and running with the update installed and with Magisk still installed and all its modules still installed and active.

Xiaomi will allow OTA updates with root, but apparently only full, not incremental updates. When it first tries to install an incremental update it will fail, but just do it again and this time it downloads the full update and you are good to go.
Wow man I really appreciate this!

frcraig

Jan 3, 2017
Halifax
Finally I got my fold 2 today. What a stunning device. Does anyone have a link / tutorial how to root the device ?
Here is the link to root with Magisk:
follow the instructions for devices with Ramdisk. You will need a copy of your boot.img to patch for this. You can download the Fastboot ROM for your version from any of the Xiaomi firmware sites (make sure it is the exact version) and simply take the boot.img file from it and proceed according to the instructions. If you can't find the Fastboot ROM for your version (13.1.16 both Fastboot and Recovery ROMs are on most firmware download sites but 13.1.21 which just came out yesterday is only available so far as Recovery) then you can extract the boot.img from the payload.bin file of the Recovery ROM using this method: https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/...ot-image-and-apply-root-to-the-phone.4263811/
I usually get my images from: https://xiaomifirmwareupdater.com/miui/zizhan/

Reactions: Wanes085

knives of ice

Jul 12, 2007
Xiaomi Mix Fold 2

I think I figured out how to install it even when it says you don't have an update following the instructions here:

carlitobahsoun

Sep 26, 2012
beirut lebanon
finaly got mine from kuwait city 12/512 gb .
tomorow someone coming my country and take it with him.
iam not going to root but what the advantages for root ?
and plz the store in kuwait told that no google play store installed , so its difficult to install it ?
are still chinese app installed and cant disable or unistall ?
i hope u guys can help.
thanks

frcraig

Jan 3, 2017
Halifax
I think I figured out how to install it even when it says you don't have an update following the instructions here:

Interesting. Let me know if it works for you and I will try it when the next update is available. Just make sure you don't reboot following installation of the update because you first have to go into Magisk and choose install / install to empty slot after OTA or you will loose root.

frcraig

Jan 3, 2017
Halifax
finaly got mine from kuwait city 12/512 gb .
tomorow someone coming my country and take it with him.
iam not going to root but what the advantages for root ?
and plz the store in kuwait told that no google play store installed , so its difficult to install it ?
are still chinese app installed and cant disable or unistall ?
i hope u guys can help.
thanks
Root allows you to use Magisk modules to enable Android Auto, Assistant, Map history, even add additional languages.
On first boot you are given the choice to set the language to English. Google Play Services are baked into the firmware. You just have to install the Google Play Store .APK file which you can download from APK mirror.com using the stock browser. Then download Chrome, etc from the PlayStore and you are good to go.
You can disable or uninstall all the Chinese apps. Some of them give you the direct option to uninstall and the rest can be installed with a desktop computer and ADB commands.

carlitobahsoun

Sep 26, 2012
beirut lebanon
Root allows you to use Magisk modules to enable Android Auto, Assistant, Map history, even add additional languages.
On first boot you are given the choice to set the language to English. Google Play Services are baked into the firmware. You just have to install the Google Play Store .APK file which you can download from APK mirror.com using the stock browser. Then download Chrome, etc from the PlayStore and you are good to go.
You can disable or uninstall all the Chinese apps. Some of them give you the direct option to uninstall and the rest can be installed with a desktop computer and ADB commands.
great feed back and info , thankssssss a lot.....
about battery life , i know its 4500mah battery , and usage depend from 5g or wifii , but as daily driver , do u need to charge twice in 18 hrs a day ? thanks again

frcraig

Jan 3, 2017
Halifax
great feed back and info , thankssssss a lot.....
about battery life , i know its 4500mah battery , and usage depend from 5g or wifii , but as daily driver , do u need to charge twice in 18 hrs a day ? thanks again
Folded the battery is good for a couple of days, but if you are primarily using it unfolded the large screen takes its toll on the battery and you may have to recharge it after about six hours of continuous use. It will do a full charge in less than thirty minutes though.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This is just a quick user summery for those thinking of importing Xiaomi Mix Fold 2 over to UK. I’ve had mine for just over a week now and I’m happy with it so far pretty much all working and I’m using it on EE network.

Push notifications has been a challenge as there is several settings (detailed below) that needs to be done in order get the notification working fully for your desired apps that being said as some pointed out here even after applying these settings some apps still not getting notifications immediately. Lucky for me these settings are working so no need to root the phone.

Having used Galaxy Z Fold 2/3 for last couple years hardware wise I think Mix Fold 2 is superior, it feels better in the hand just like using a normal phone, most everyday task can be done on the cover screen while the inner screen is great for multi-tasking, media consumption and web browsing etc…

However, software wise the Samsung One UI Fold 2/3 & 4 is far more polished than Xiaomi MIU, so if software is of paramount to you and bearing mind Xiaomi Mix Fold 2 is not IP rated and does not have true Flex mode then I would recommend sticking with Galaxy Z Fold 3/4.

For me I’m ok to compromise a little on the software side just to have a better hardware experience on Xiaomi Mix Fold 2 especially the in hand feeling and IP rating doesn’t bother me as I had the Galaxy Fold 2 had no issues and never used Flex mode.

Settings I enabled:

STEP 1:
    1. Go to Settings
    2. Scroll down to the Apps sub-menu.
    3. Select Permissions.
    4. Tap Autostart.
    5. Choose the apps that you want push notifications.
    6. Toggle the slider to ensure the apps always start automatically in the background.
    STEP 2:
    1. Go to Settings
    2. Select Battery
    3. Tap the Setting/Cog Top Right corner
    4. Under Lock Screen Settings - Turn off mobile data when device is locked set to Never
    5. Under Lock Screen Settings – Clear Cache when device is locked set to Never
    STEP 3:
    1. Go to Settings
    2. Select Battery
    4. Scroll down to App Battery Saver
    5. Select the App that you want push notifications.
    6. Choose No restrictions.

STEP 4:
    1. Go to Settings
    2. Select Battery
    4. Scroll down to Scenarios
    5. Disable Sleep mode

STEP 5:
    1. Launch Security app
    2. Select Battery
    4. Scroll down to Boost speed
    5. Select Lock Apps
    6. Select the App that you want and toggle slider to Lock app in the background

Pros​

• Incredibly thin light premium build.
    • Large cover/inner folding screen than competition
    • Zero gap fold mechanism
    • Leica Camera OK for most shots
    + Softer crease less visible inner screen with AR
    + IR blaster nice to have

Cons​

• Software not polished as competition
    • No flex mode
    • No IP Rating
    • Aggressive Battery Management
    • China Only No Global Release
    Got mine a few days ago definitely better that the Samsung fold 4 )
    I have had mine for a week, agree best foldable to date.. Has anyone rooted yet ? other than mild annoyance with delayed notifications despite the regular setting changes in place in my home security and outlook all is perfect. Notifications only come in once I unlock the phone... No issues with google messages or whatsapp
    I rooted.

These may fix delayed notifications:

Disable "Sleep mode" in battery settings
    Disable "Suspend execution for cached apps" in developer options
    Disable powerkeeper (Most people including me can disable it safely, but somehow few people got bootloop so take backup)
    Install Global ROM-ify Magisk module
    I donated this morning , I hope you receive it ,
    Thank you for all the contributions to the Mi Mix Fold 2
    did you ever figure out how to fix this issue? I also have the same problem :(
    I switched to Edison Mail. Works great. Fast notifications.