Anyone having wireless charging issues?

Search This thread

ack154

Oct 17, 2011
www.allankintz.com
I only got my phone last week but I'm already seeing an issue where it will stop wireless charging. If I'm just using it for a while and then go to put it on the charger and it will not charge or indicate that it's charging. I have been keeping a simple Spigen case on it but that doesn't seem to matter - did the same thing case or no case. I also tried multiple wireless chargers - same on all of them. It's definitely aligned properly too.

I do have Battery Care turned on (custom, after 10pm) - but even when that is active it still shows that it's charging and everything functions as expected. And this has happened outside of those specified BC hours.

A restart seems to bring it back - but something is up given that it's happened a couple times already in less than a week. Anyone else seeing this?

I'm just waiting for it to happen again before reaching out to Support.

ack154

Oct 17, 2011
www.allankintz.com
Follow up: it just did it again this evening.

I wanted to avoid restarting the phone just to see if I could get it working again. I tried a couple chargers again, no sign of charging at all. I went into Battery Care and turned it off - still no charging. I plugged a cable in to charge and it worked normally. I waited a couple minutes, removed the cable again and then tried a wireless charger again and it worked this time!

I'm leaving Battery Care off and have now restarted my phone again. Will see how it goes for the next couple days.

I also found this thread on Sony's forums: https://community.sony.ee/t5/xperia-1/xperia-1-ii-wireless-charging-stopped-working/td-p/3686459

I'm not sure he was having the same issue though, as it appeared his wireless chargers at least detected the device and tried to charge - they just couldn't establish the connection to do it. Though his solution did sound like it was the "custom" option in Battery Care that may be the culprit.

ack154

Oct 17, 2011
www.allankintz.com
It did it again this morning. Plugging a wired charger got it to work again but I've emailed Support now. This is dumb. Will update with any additional troubleshooting or possible solution.

Brorom

Oct 1, 2019
It did it again this morning. Plugging a wired charger got it to work again but I've emailed Support now. This is dumb. Will update with any additional troubleshooting or possible solution.

What brand of wireless charger do you use?
Did the phone have idle temp before charging?

Last edited:

ack154

Oct 17, 2011
www.allankintz.com
What brand of wireless charger do you use?
Did the phone have idle temp before charging?

Multiple chargers. A 15W Anker charger, a 3 coil Ikea charger, a generic 10W charger at work, and a Pixel Stand. As it's happened I usually have multiple chargers around to test, so I've tried any of them available. Temperature hasn't appeared to matter. I definitely have not had the phone "hot" when trying it but I have also waited like a half hour or so to try it again thinking about potential temperature issues.

I also posted it to Reddit this morning on /r/sonyxperia and someone responded saying that there's a new update from Docomo that appears to call out a fix for wireless charging occasionally not working. So I'm hopeful that might be what I'm experiencing. Still waiting to hear something back from Support.

Reddit thread: https://www.reddit.com/r/SonyXperia/comments/i4r519/xperia_1_ii_wireless_charging_issues/

Brorom

Oct 1, 2019
Multiple chargers. A 15W Anker charger, a 3 coil Ikea charger, a generic 10W charger at work, and a Pixel Stand. As it's happened I usually have multiple chargers around to test, so I've tried any of them available. Temperature hasn't appeared to matter. I definitely have not had the phone "hot" when trying it but I have also waited like a half hour or so to try it again thinking about potential temperature issues.

I also posted it to Reddit this morning on /r/sonyxperia and someone responded saying that there's a new update from Docomo that appears to call out a fix for wireless charging occasionally not working. So I'm hopeful that might be what I'm experiencing. Still waiting to hear something back from Support.

Reddit thread: https://www.reddit.com/r/SonyXperia/comments/i4r519/xperia_1_ii_wireless_charging_issues/

I use one from Belkin. https://www.belkin.com/us/p/P-F7U083/

When I use the phone heavily and it's sort of hot it doesn't charge for a while. Once it's cold it works flawlessly. I have the US version, latest firmware. And an addition to that is my Spigen case.

stefanve

Oct 12, 2005
only thing I noticed is that it is very picky about positioning, as it is a long phone it easy easy to miss place

niaboc79

Recognized Developer / Inactive RT
Sep 8, 2007
Enghien
www.nirvana-records.be
I've got issue with an ikea wireless charger plugged to a Sony clock.

Issue fixed with an other cable from the clock to the charger.

Use quality cable like the stock Sony one.

Envoyé de mon XQ-AT51 en utilisant Tapatalk

Khalid44mg

Sep 27, 2020
Xperia 1 ii

I encountered the same issue today, "it says wireless chargering cannot start".Any one find out what is the problem?!

dragion

Help...

Purchased on release day directly from Sony Store online.
No issues with wireless charging until a few days ago.
Will first initially register as charging, but after 5 seconds, will stop and pop up window will indicate that wireless charging cannot start.
This issue is with several wireless chargers.
No issue with direct charging.
Tried BatteryCare function off/on, but no change.

Any assistance in helping resolve this will be greatly appreciated.

T-Mobile
XQ-AT51
Android 11
Build: 58.1.A.5.395

Thank you!

dragion

Help...

Purchased on release day directly from Sony Store online.
No issues with wireless charging until a few days ago.
Will first initially register as charging, but after 5 seconds, will stop and pop up window will indicate that wireless charging cannot start.
This issue is with several wireless chargers.
No issue with direct charging.
Tried BatteryCare function off/on, but no change.

Any assistance in helping resolve this will be greatly appreciated.

T-Mobile
XQ-AT51
Android 11
Build: 58.1.A.5.395

Thank you!
UPDATE:

For some sort of strange reason, the wireless charging has corrected itself.
The issue has disappeared and functioning as designed.

Call myself "Lucky"

Hope this doesn't happen again.