Anyone know about cops got a question

Search This thread

Nosferatu.

Dec 20, 2011
Tampa, Florida
Simply put, if a retired cop attempts to pull you over and play cop is that illegal? Plus, wouldn't his jurisdiction be ZERO since he's retired? Had one try and flex muscle with me today and was completely out of line.

Cliff notes: Guy probably near 85 years old driving wildly, I push it to get away from him, then he tries to tell me I'm the crazy one behind the wheel pulls a badge and a retired cop card thing.

Nothing happened afterwards but just curious...:p

served24

Oct 8, 2012
Simply put, if a retired cop attempts to pull you over and play cop is that illegal? Plus, wouldn't his jurisdiction be ZERO since he's retired? Had one try and flex muscle with me today and was completely out of line.

Cliff notes: Guy probably near 85 years old driving wildly, I push it to get away from him, then he tries to tell me I'm the crazy one behind the wheel pulls a badge and a retired cop card thing.

Nothing happened afterwards but just curious...:p

Wtf? Lol

Sent from my One V using xda premium

carhustler

Feb 10, 2012
jacksonville, fl
You should have called the police on him. A retired cop has no right to pull you over. I bet you we're Wondering why a random car was chasing you down. If you got his name or license tag, I would report him if i were you.

Sent from my SGH-T999

Reactions: boborone

Card83

May 3, 2011
Sacramento
Before you do anything, make sure he isn't a Reserve officer or deputy. A large amount of law enforcement departments hire retired officers on a reserve-only basis. They work only part time, but many are still sworn officers with arrest power.

Nosferatu.

Dec 20, 2011
Tampa, Florida
Before you do anything, make sure he isn't a Reserve officer or deputy. A large amount of law enforcement departments hire retired officers on a reserve-only basis. They work only part time, but many are still sworn officers with arrest power.

This guy was close to 80-85 years old hardly active. He showed me a badge so I pulled over initially. Then he showed me his credentials in which it clearly said RETIRED on it.

He just kept yelling at me I told him to lower his voice. Eventually we went our separate ways. I was tempted to record him off my phone and then call the real cops on him but figured I have better things to do.

He was swerving his car next to me so I naturally accelerate by him at a good clip and try and keep my distance from him but he just kept tailing me and with his maneuvers you could hear his tires screetch at times. Almost hit my car twice.

Magnum_Enforcer

Retired Forum Moderator
Jul 14, 2012
Birmingham, AL
You should have called the police on him. A retired cop has no right to pull you over. I bet you we're Wondering why a random car was chasing you down. If you got his name or license tag, I would report him if i were you.

Sent from my SGH-T999

Ditto what was stated above. I myself am a LEO. There is a reason we typically drive marked patrol vehicles with emergency lights on them. This type of behavior can be confusing, not to mention outright dangerous for all parties involved. I'd go make a report and cover yourself. Also, if this man has made a habit of doing this type thing in the past and has ever been called on it before, his nuts could really end up in a vice. The best thing he could have done was pick up the phone and call the police and let it ride from there.

Sent using my HTC EVO 4G and a magic wand

Reactions: boborone

063_XOBX

Jun 6, 2010
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)
If a police officer (especially if it's an Off-duty or retired one) oversteps their bounds you should definitely report it. That's the only tool we as regular citizens have to keep them from abusing their power. If the Police Station is no help (unlikely) you can call your local news, contact blogs and use the internet to spread the story.

---------- Post added 23rd October 2012 at 12:08 AM ---------- Previous post was 22nd October 2012 at 11:47 PM ----------

Decided I wanted to expand on that since I hate to think anybody would be clueless as to their rights in the event they interact with a LEO.

"Probable cause" is anything that gives the Officer reason to suspect you are or have committed a crime. A classic trick of crooked cops is to say that the smell marijuana which gives them probable cause since that there may mean there are drugs in your possession.

1. They do not have the right to give you anymore than a basic pat down to check for weapons/paraphernalia without probable cause.
2. They do not have the right to search your vehicle without probable cause. If asked make it clear that you do not consent to search and lock the door to your car if you get out.
3. Miranda rights will not be read to you unless you are actually being arrested but remember your right to plead the 5th until you have legal counsel. They are capable of using your words against you if you say something that might incriminate yourself.
4. You have the right to speak to the LEO through your window without opening your door. You can also tell them to have their department call you if they need to speak to you. Unless they have a search warrant they do not have the right to invite themselves in.
5. They do not have the right to go through your phone and if there is a passcode lock you are not obligated to give it to them.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    If a police officer (especially if it's an Off-duty or retired one) oversteps their bounds you should definitely report it. That's the only tool we as regular citizens have to keep them from abusing their power. If the Police Station is no help (unlikely) you can call your local news, contact blogs and use the internet to spread the story.

---------- Post added 23rd October 2012 at 12:08 AM ---------- Previous post was 22nd October 2012 at 11:47 PM ----------

Decided I wanted to expand on that since I hate to think anybody would be clueless as to their rights in the event they interact with a LEO.

"Probable cause" is anything that gives the Officer reason to suspect you are or have committed a crime. A classic trick of crooked cops is to say that the smell marijuana which gives them probable cause since that there may mean there are drugs in your possession.

1. They do not have the right to give you anymore than a basic pat down to check for weapons/paraphernalia without probable cause.
    2. They do not have the right to search your vehicle without probable cause. If asked make it clear that you do not consent to search and lock the door to your car if you get out.
    3. Miranda rights will not be read to you unless you are actually being arrested but remember your right to plead the 5th until you have legal counsel. They are capable of using your words against you if you say something that might incriminate yourself.
    4. You have the right to speak to the LEO through your window without opening your door. You can also tell them to have their department call you if they need to speak to you. Unless they have a search warrant they do not have the right to invite themselves in.
    5. They do not have the right to go through your phone and if there is a passcode lock you are not obligated to give it to them.

Sent from my SGH-T999

Sent from my SGH-T999

Ditto what was stated above. I myself am a LEO. There is a reason we typically drive marked patrol vehicles with emergency lights on them. This type of behavior can be confusing, not to mention outright dangerous for all parties involved. I'd go make a report and cover yourself. Also, if this man has made a habit of doing this type thing in the past and has ever been called on it before, his nuts could really end up in a vice. The best thing he could have done was pick up the phone and call the police and let it ride from there.

Sent using my HTC EVO 4G and a magic wand