Anyone know much about RFID Tags?

Search This thread

lazyboy0172

Jun 3, 2007
the teachers at our school use them to unlock doors, and i want to know if its possible to emulate one so i can get access, its for an elaborate senior prank, nothing bad, we just want to put a town landmark inside the school all stealth-like. we have permission to take the landmark from the owner as long as we dont damage it, but in the spirit of it being a senior prank, we dont think getting permission from the school would be very cool.

i found this, but i dont know if it will serve my purpose:
http://www.thinkgeek.com/gadgets/security/907a/
it says i can use a tag and see all sorts of details about it and use it in 'various ways', and i could get a teachers tag for a minute to scan it, but i cant steal it because they report them stolen and then the codes dont work anymore. but i dont want to drop $100 if it wont even work, even if the other applications of that kit are badass. that's a pretty steep price for 'maybe'.

so i come here, i'm not a member of many forums but people here seem to be pretty damn technically inclined. i'm no idiot myself, but i havent done much in wireless tech. any help would be much appreciated, thanks.

dgaud007

Oct 12, 2007
Ponce
I worked with RFID tags for a while a couple of years ago. There are several types (standards) so be careful, the device you link to is for 125Khz type tags, but there are others "tuned" to 13.456 Mhz and so forth. Further more, most of them (or at least the Phillips IC's) include a security register (AFI) which contains a special number that your reader must know to detect those tags during the "inventory" process. And maybe also, if the programmers are really paranoid, they probably put some encrypted data inside the tag!
I guess I would start by taking a look at the part numbers / manufacturer of the readers and search the internet for their specs, and go from there.
Nothing is easy these times...Good luck!

JimmyMcGee

Moderator Emeritus
the teachers at our school use them to unlock doors, and i want to know if its possible to emulate one so i can get access, its for an elaborate senior prank, nothing bad, we just want to put a town landmark inside the school all stealth-like. we have permission to take the landmark from the owner as long as we dont damage it, but in the spirit of it being a senior prank, we dont think getting permission from the school would be very cool.

it says i can use a tag and see all sorts of details about it and use it in 'various ways', and i could get a teachers tag for a minute to scan it, but i cant steal it because they report them stolen and then the codes dont work anymore. but i dont want to drop $100 if it wont even work, even if the other applications of that kit are badass. that's a pretty steep price for 'maybe'.

so i come here, i'm not a member of many forums but people here seem to be pretty damn technically inclined. i'm no idiot myself, but i havent done much in wireless tech. any help would be much appreciated, thanks.

I've always personally preferred Social Engineering If I had a choice. A long time ago for our Senior Prank we had to get inside. We didn't have fancy RFID but standard Keys. People were talking about stealing keys. But that seemed to severe. What we ended up doing was exploiting the Human factor.

What we first tried was to get the Janitor to let one of us in to retrieve something from our locker. Then we would let to others in, but he wasn't near a door. But We noticed the "hip" teacher was in his classroom. You know the hip teach, "Don't call me Mr. Jones, call me Ted." We were able to get him to open the door for one of us and that person distracted him while the rest of us snuck (sneaked?) in and did the deed.

GSLEON3

Retired Senior Moderator

Senior Prank huh, like stealing the test answers for that final???

Gronk_n_Skank

May 24, 2010
Beware of Big Brother

2rw5feb.jpg

Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone