Anyone move from TP2 to N1?

shure2

Jun 24, 2008
Hi,

As the title says, just looking for some feedback from those who had a tp2 and moved to N1 - is there any major disadvantages of the N1 over the tp2 (omitting obvious keyboard)

I hear the speaker on the N1 is bad and the speaker on the TP2 is awesome, can anyone verify this?

badnewswrx

Nov 13, 2009
I moved from TP2 to N1! I had a g1 before the tp2, and now getting back to android, I wonder why i ever left!

The speaker is the only thing i "miss" i didnt really you use it often though...

The N1 is soooo much better than the tp2

Blimblim

Aug 7, 2007
Former (mostly happy until the touch screen died) TP2 user here. I love the Nexus One. I miss the hardware keyboard, obviously, but swype makes up for it.
The unit is incredibly responsive, and now that we have sense ported on the N1 the Exchange integration is excellent.
Now I don't miss the TP2 at all. Especially since I love tinkering with the OS and Android is better than WM for that.

krohnjw

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jul 17, 2007
Plainfield
Hi,

As the title says, just looking for some feedback from those who had a tp2 and moved to N1 - is there any major disadvantages of the N1 over the tp2 (omitting obvious keyboard)

I hear the speaker on the N1 is bad and the speaker on the TP2 is awesome, can anyone verify this?
The speaker on the TP2 was the best of any phone I've heard or used. As a result the speaker on the N1 was a let down.

However, the phone itself is outstanding. The build quality is quite good and the SW keyboard isn't as hard to adjust to as I had expected (especially in landscape mode).

The only thing you haven't touched on that I would mention is that the TP2 (CDMA at least) had *outstanding* battery life. The N1 is no slouch when it comes to battery life in the smart phone arena, but I did see better battery life with the TP2.

jz9833

Feb 1, 2007
Houston
speaker was good
keyboard was really good
i want the htc clock but dont know the settings for the weather widget.
weather skin downloader > h7c.zip
then install from SD card

clock skin downloader > h7c-clock.zip
then install from SD card.

Maybe you only have to do one or the other, but i did both to be safe and it worked.

timothydonohue

Oct 2, 2007
Portland, Maine
weather skin downloader > h7c.zip
then install from SD card

clock skin downloader > h7c-clock.zip
then install from SD card.

Maybe you only have to do one or the other, but i did both to be safe and it worked.
those can be found here

edit: but, apparently it isn't as simple as 'move to sd card and install'. gotta pick up 'weather widget donate' from the market to use this

Last edited:

thisguy10

Aug 22, 2009
i went from a TP2 as well. the speaker was nice and i do miss that and the keyboard sometimes but other then that im happy with my switch. windows mobile was so boring and dull to me and going to android has been good so far with no intention to going back to the TP2 and WM for that matter. N1 is a really nice phone

palosjr

Jul 25, 2009
Houston
well i just sold my TP2 and my N1 should be here in the morning but I can tell you one thing... I love android, and as a previous G1 owner, I missed being able to mess with the OS. WinMo was too intricate and seemed "junky" whereas android is just PNG and XML really...

Highland3r

Sep 27, 2009
Another Happy TP2 -> N1 customer here. Few points:

Speed - the N1 is VERY quick compared to the TP2 (stock TP2, running WM6.5/Sense 2.1). No lag, everything works instantly on the N1. Phone doesn't slow down after a few days uptime, there's no lag in SMS or MMS.

Keyboard - The major concern moving from TP2 was the lack of hardware keyboard. That was one of the major factors in my decision not to get the HD2. Hardware keyboard IS better for typing longer pieces of text (i.e a decent length email for example) but for the standard phone texts/mms/short mails/web browsing/IM the N1's keyboard is fine. Enabling haptic feedback and using in landscape mode makes it a doddle to use, rarely now have to go back and correct words etc. Yet to try non stock keyboards, these should aid the transition even more.

Look and Feel - The N1 is MUCH more attractive that the TP2, however I sometimes find the N1 a touch on the small side - that being said it's probably more due to being used to the larger TP2, the N1 is certainly easier to used 1 handed than the TP2 tho do sometimes feel like I'm going to drop it!
While HTC's sense was full of eye candy, with a couple of widgets and some time Android can look just as good (and that's before you consider the custom ROM's with sense etc available)

Android vs WiMo - Night and day here (and this is probably the biggest "love" for me at the moment). Everything is at your fingertips. It's so easy to take a pic and whack it on facebook, send it via MMS or email. Check google maps or browse the net. It's all there, and really quickly available. The app store is pretty acomplished too, easy access to a load of apps - something which (last time I checked) the MS stored was lacking in.

Moving from a non smartphone to the TP2 was a pretty big jump. Good net access on the move, easy access to email and other information. The jump from the TP2 to N1 was probably equally as big. All the previous information is available (only MUCH faster) + a whole load of new information, apps and ways to keep in contact with people.

Hope this helps :)

teihoata

Jun 11, 2009
I also moved from a touch pro 2 to a nexus one (with an iphone 3gs in the middle meh not even worth mentioning lol) and yeah I have to agree with everyone else. The touch pro 2 is a great phone but nowhere near as awesome as the nexus one :cool: but I'll probably end up swapping my nexus for the touch pro 3 or whatever they decide to call it.
*sigh* dont you just hate it when something so cool and new becomes redundant and old like 6months later..

fnordelus

Mar 29, 2007
Margate, Florida
Bought Them Both at the Same Time

I actually bought both the phones at the same time, after my HD died (I killed it when I opened it up).

The TP2 like everyone says is a great phone. Though the GSM T-Mobile US version (that I had) had pathetic battery life (Compared to my Blackstone). But the TP2 can not hold a candle to the N1.

The only thing I miss from the TP2 is the EXCELLENT speaker, and the keyboard.

The N1 is sleeker, it's RIDICULOUSLY FAST! the display is superb. I can do about 10 things in the time it takes me to do one thing on the TP2. Combine that with Xralogic Remote Desktop Client, and Documents to Go Pro, and you have a WM replacement.

Trust me, I'm no Windows Mobile Hater, I'm actually an advocate of WM and I have been for the last 7 years, but the the N1 is just a superb phone. I've had the G1 and the Moto ClIQ, but I went back to WM but the N1 is awesome.

I am looking forward to owning a US T-Mobile branded HD2 though.

I hope you find this useful .

palosjr

Jul 25, 2009
Houston
wow... seems to be that the general consensus here is loving the jump they made from the TP2 to the N1... honestly, if there had been a stable fully working haret build for XDAndroid on the TP2 i maybe would have been a little more hesitant. I loved the keyboard, and i loved the solid feel of the TP2. But i strapped on a hardcase with silicon lining on in and out and this phone feels great now. I have yet to root, and this is the longest I have held out on rooting/flashing a device. I am pretty sure that once someone figures out how to relock the bootloader (if at all possible) I would go ahead and root. But I also wanna use this phone stock for a few weeks just to test the waters and make sure no glitches/disfunctions happen. (dust under screen, nonresponsive touchscreen, just little things that i wouldnt be able to get fixed once the warranty is void)