Anyone Removing Inner Screen Protector?

Search This thread

atlasbro

Sep 27, 2020
Got the Fold 2 from T-Mobile yesterday. I removed my screen protector today after using the phone for 24 hours. Very gently just by sliding a sheet of paper between the display and the protector and moving it back and forth slowly.

Just want to mention to those people still on the fence about it. It's a night and day difference. Less fingerprints, easier to clean, no smudges, no wet blotches that don't come off, and the colors stand out more vibrant to me.

*** Also, id like to mention, the display now requires significantly less force to clean and wipe down vs the phone with the screen protector.

I personally want to enjoy my 2K phone to the fullest and it seems much more durable than the last fold. Just keep it isolated in your pocket by itself.

I did leave the front screen protector on though since it's exposed all the time.

MixEvo

Got the Fold 2 from T-Mobile yesterday. I removed my screen protector today after using the phone for 24 hours. Very gently just by sliding a sheet of paper between the display and the protector and moving it back and forth slowly.

Just want to mention to those people still on the fence about it. It's a night and day difference. Less fingerprints, easier to clean, no smudges, no wet blotches that don't come off, and the colors stand out more vibrant to me.

*** Also, id like to mention, the display now requires significantly less force to clean and wipe down vs the phone with the screen protector.

I personally want to enjoy my 2K phone to the fullest and it seems much more durable than the last fold. Just keep it isolated in your pocket by itself.

I did leave the front screen protector on though since it's exposed all the time.
I think I'm going to remove mine,I got mine from t-mobile Tuesday and the inner screen protector is so so smudgy.

marctronixx

Jul 18, 2007
LOL when you got to use paper and other theatrics to carefully remove something that is not recommended to be removed... :p

Mekrel

Apr 20, 2010
Buckinghamshire
I've replaced the other screen protector as that also suffers from picking up finger prints extremely easily, however, after installing a new 3rd party* screen protector and finding the finger print situation wasn't improved, I've decided to hold off replacing the inside screen protector. That's unless I learn of a screen protector that actually significantly reduces finger smudges. My theory is I won't as all these film screen protectors are usually the same composition with just a different brand name slapped on them.

*this is the one I used by the way - Good install but doesn't improve the finger print situation.

oreice

Jan 13, 2013
Evergreen park
I peeled my inner screen today because somehow it started lifting and bubbles started popping up at the crease. So I decided to remove it and I regret nothing. If something goes wrong that's what insurance is for.

bubu23

Nov 25, 2006
eilat
ok so....just pilled my inner screen protector off and

1> feel the same sticky like the protector (people lie when they say its not stick but smooth its not)
2>the finger print i think worse ....(again not like people say)
3>it clean very very fast with no problem at all that good :good:
4>if i knew its feels the same ****y feeling like before ,i wouldnt pilled it

so dont belive anybody here people are boaring and just write stuff (not truth)
i tell you the truth from me to you

hope it helps you !!!!!
any way the protector after ipilled it looks very durable and strong so be sure you keep your phone from dirt :good:

• Haha
Reactions: ObsidianBlade

do33grs

Oct 16, 2013
Salt Lake City
I removed mine and replaced it with the Olixar protector. Took 3 units to achieve an unsatisfactory result (bubbles). So I'm going naked now for a couple of days and offer my observations.

• Clean fingers definitely glide easily over the surface making Microsoft SwiftKey keyboard a pleasure to work with.

• Fingerprints are less noticeable and clean up easily using a clean microfiber cloth. Significant improvement noted.

• Screen appearance is cleaner than when first opened. Removing factory protector very easy from camera cutout.

I'll post back in a bit and advise on durability. Coming from iPhone this device is amazing, but deserves and requires greater care. I left the Olixar protector (feels like Zagg) on the outer screen. If I were still a mechanic it would give me pause. Obviously, these observations are subjective, but in accord with most others. Would have removed Day One, had I known.

Last edited:

orbital247

Feb 22, 2009
Removed mine, as mentioned here already it really is night and day, before it was a rubbery feel and your finger used to grab when you try and swipe on the screen. Now it feels like 'glass' and the swipes are buttery smooth.

apprentice

Apr 22, 2005
NORWICH, England
Samsung Galaxy Z Flip3

1> feel the same sticky like the protector (people lie when they say its not stick but smooth its not)

hope it helps you !!!!!
any way the protector after ipilled it looks very durable and strong so be sure you keep your phone from dirt :good:
~

Don't accuse people of lying based on your solitary experience. If anything I am accusing you of lying, because the screen protector is made of a material similar to vinyl, it's malleable and therefore offers a degree of resistance when touched. So no way is that the same as the hard plastic layer of the screen itself, which once cleaned after removing the protector feels smooth to the touch. A rubbery surface will also attract more smudges and be harder to remove them.

And considering many other's experience both here on XDA and on various other forums, blogs and YouTubers all saying the same thing, that removing it is a vast improvement, I think most people will simply ignore your contribution here.
~

Last edited:
Reactions: ObsidianBlade

billybanana

May 14, 2005
Removed the screen protector within 24 hours of getting the F2. Can't believe what a tacky piece of crap the protector is. And yes I am a F1 owner. My screen is as perfect as the day I got it.

gfreek

Apr 4, 2005

hope it helps you !!!!!

What nonsense you are you talking about! I have taken off my inner-screen protector and the difference is night and day much smoother, less smudges and the screen looks sharper granted it will never feel like true glass but damn it's the next best thing compared to Samsung installed protector which had a slight rubbery feel and easily smudges! Don't know why Samsung say the screen protector must to ba taken to Samsung store to be taken off by them, it peeled off easily like any other screen protector.

Anyway as a precuation I will get a 3rd party inner screen protector something that is a lot better than the one Samsung installed.

---------- Post added at 02:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:45 PM ----------

Removed the screen protector within 24 hours of getting the F2. Can't believe what a tacky piece of crap the protector is. And yes I am a F1 owner. My screen is as perfect as the day I got it.

Agreed Samsung put on a cheap screen protector which actually lessens the clarity of the display. I'm so glad I took it off. I know there are better 3rd party screen protectors which actually feel very glass-like and don't smudge easily. Just need to find one for F2.

lynseyw

Oct 23, 2007
San Diego
Ok, I did it. That is what insurance is for I guess. Long story, but I ended up getting my Fold2 for free, with a trade in. So I figured I might was well enjoy it and I have insurance on it with Verizon. It came off very easy. It does feel much better, still a tiny bit tacky, not like the front screen glass, but still much much better. It is not a fingerprint magnet as much as with the protector and it cleans very easily now. I would say go for it...if you have insurance. I baby this thing anyway, so not to worried about not having the protector. Just my opinion.

jayr04

Oct 31, 2007
Los Angeles
The edge of mine came off as I was wiping off the smudges so i took the whole thing off. Loks a lot better without it.

apprentice

Apr 22, 2005
NORWICH, England
Samsung Galaxy Z Flip3
... Don't know why Samsung say the screen protector must to ba taken to Samsung store to be taken off by them, it peeled off easily like any other screen protector.
~
I believe this is because some people might be tempted to use some sort of tool to initially pry the protector away (or a sharp fingernail) and obviously the unprotected screen is still easy to dent or scratch. But using a piece of paper around the camera cut-out is quick and easy.
~

Martin5000

Oct 30, 2008
Ballerup
I peeled my inner screen protector off and I have no regrets. Smudges are way less visible, the screen is clearer and it feels smoother. It doesn't feel exactly like glass, but it doesn't feel like rubber anymore. And it cleans more easily.
Just my personal experience...

krabman

Sep 22, 2008
I don't think it feels like glass either, just less like a crappy piece of film. I'd do it again in a heartbeat but it still feels like plastic, your finger doesn't slide as smoothly as on glass, etc. No one really talked about it much but the screen looks much better as well and that aspect shouldn't be discounted. If someone wants to get an idea of what they'd be looking at Erica Griffin ( search her name and Z fold 2 on youtube) did a video showing it's removal, what it looked like before and after, and I think maybe the most instructive thing was she laid the film on a white piece of paper after it's removal and it is in no way as clear as I would want. Worth a peep for those on the fence.

apprentice

Apr 22, 2005
NORWICH, England
Samsung Galaxy Z Flip3
I don't think it feels like glass either, just less like a crappy piece of film. I'd do it again in a heartbeat but it still feels like plastic, your finger doesn't slide as smoothly as on glass, etc. No one really talked about it much but the screen looks much better as well and that aspect shouldn't be discounted. If someone wants to get an idea of what they'd be looking at Erica Griffin ( search her name and Z fold 2 on youtube) did a video showing it's removal, what it looked like before and after, and I think maybe the most instructive thing was she laid the film on a white piece of paper after it's removal and it is in no way as clear as I would want. Worth a peep for those on the fence.

Yeah I watched this video the other day, she's very clued up on screen performance in all her reviews. She does a very detailed analysis of the Z Fold 2 screen and she does endorse removal of the protector.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z4nO092-PpE

Regarding your point about how smooth the screen is though, you have to remember that the screen's top layer isn't made from glass, so it won't feel 100% like that, but it is a huge improvement from that rubbery screen protector.
~

krabman

Sep 22, 2008
Yeah I watched this video the other day, she's very clued up on screen performance in all her reviews. She does a very detailed analysis of the Z Fold 2 screen and she does endorse removal of the protector.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z4nO092-PpE

Regarding your point about how smooth the screen is though, you have to remember that the screen's top layer isn't made from glass, so it won't feel 100% like that, but it is a huge improvement from that rubbery screen protector.
~

Yeah, I know it's plastic. I had the sense reading this thread and the improvements some were talking about that it might be a little oversold. I agree completely that it's a huge improvement but only in comparison to the horrid screen protector. In comparison to what were all used to with modern glass screens it isn't crap but it's not what I would describe as good. I'd call it a negative but worthy trade-off for the goodness that you get with the bigger screen

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

hope it helps you !!!!!

hope it helps you !!!!!
    ~

Don't accuse people of lying based on your solitary experience. If anything I am accusing you of lying, because the screen protector is made of a material similar to vinyl, it's malleable and therefore offers a degree of resistance when touched. So no way is that the same as the hard plastic layer of the screen itself, which once cleaned after removing the protector feels smooth to the touch. A rubbery surface will also attract more smudges and be harder to remove them.

And considering many other's experience both here on XDA and on various other forums, blogs and YouTubers all saying the same thing, that removing it is a vast improvement, I think most people will simply ignore your contribution here.
    ~