• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Anyone seen a real explosion?

Search This thread

Phredeee

Aug 5, 2009
Rabbit Hash
The media, YouTube and even this forum have many referring to the problem with the Note 7 as "exploding". I wonder how many of those writing have ever actually seen an explosion. Yes, it is a relative term. Considering the same word is used to describe events like Hiroshima, Hindenburg or today's event in Chelsea it seems to me that it hardly comes close to accurately describing what happens during the charging fire on these phones. I suppose, in the most technical sense, one could also call striking a single match an explosion but realistically it is more like over sensationalizing.

I suggest those thinking this is an explosion head off to the firing range and squeeze off a round or two of an .500 Smith & Wesson Magnum. That friends is an explosion.

Gary02468

Jul 25, 2011
Samsung, the CPSC, and serious news outlets (e.g. NYT) are not calling it an explosion.

But regardless of the terminology, I think everyone understands that the Note 7's combustion is stronger than a match but weaker than a military explosive.

Discussion of other types of explosions is completely off-topic for this site.

Phredeee

Aug 5, 2009
Rabbit Hash
Samsung, the CPSC, and serious news outlets (e.g. NYT) are not calling it an explosion.

But regardless of the terminology, I think everyone understands that the Note 7's combustion is stronger than a match but weaker than a military explosive.

Discussion of other types of explosions is completely off-topic for this site.

I would never be so bold as to assume what anyone else understands let alone what EVERYONE else else understands.

My point is that it is not an explosion at all in common everyday English.

If one wants to sensationalize the issue then you would need to exaggerate the reaction.