anyone still here? the note 4 continues to impress me....

Search This thread

doubledragon5

Jun 29, 2011
Lewisville, Tx
After several update over last year the phone started to be very slow. The final blow came beginning Dec 2019 when it did restart by itself and did install then 1 app. Usually will ask me for this. Since then the battery drains 10 times faster. So it is obvious that the update was meant to make me buy a new phone... But I like soo much the note 4.
First I did a factory resent. Did not help at all. Then I did flash it with Odin - now it works soooo fast, better than the new phones. But the battery drain continues. Fully charged in the evening I leave it in flight mode. In the morning the battery is only 50%. And this is with a new original Samsung battery I just bought. Will a re-flash with nand erase help? Does anyone have experience with this?

I was having issues with my battery.. Bought 2 more Samsung OEM batteries, and the problem was worse. The phone would either reboot, or shut down period.. Bought 2 (Brand New) ZeroLemon batteries and haven't had any issues yet.

Reactions: Pepzki and Mr. JAVI

RARELYRIGHT

Nov 16, 2019
I still use my n910t note 4

I'm using eq12 rooted, couldnt load ketan no matter what I did or any roms on epg2 or epg3. Frustrated. I even forgot how to convert to Odin flashable, I must have forgotten a step I dunno so mine is stock, 128 memory card big fat fat battery, no need to upgrade to a sealed phone. Stuck with 6.0.1 nothing seems to want to load anymore. I can't imafine having a phone that won't go 24hrs without charging now. I'd like to upgrade the camera but it works fine.

---------- Post added at 09:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:53 PM ----------

I meant no custom roms want to flash anymore, the phone is great, still can't imagine any need for a downgrade to a sealed phone using prying eyes cloud memory rather than what I've got. If I break it, no prob, get another.

gwm121

Apr 16, 2020
yes someone still here...
looked at new fone as no volte on note 4 marsmallow, nothing as good as note 4 for me at any price, removable battery, infra red, sd card storage, stylus,
i learnt how to root and instal twrp, have tried several roms lineage pixel etc, all have some features unstable all are slow compared with android 6, the best so far is res remix, the camera works, its not too slow, so far.........................i cant get volte, thats annoying.
WISH LIST
i would like a fast loading fast to use rom all stuff like camera bluetooth working
with words below icons on bottom of the screens like android 6.01 !!! and words on the icons on not shade first swypedown (wifi data etc)
WITH VOLTE WORKING on note 4 910f qualcom
i like the redmi note 8 layout.. annotating screenshots still possible wihch replaces stylus

so if anyone still playing with note 4 and knows of good fast stable roms, please say.

meohmy

Aug 7, 2015
My Note 4 is very fast on android 6 although I installed the very minimum gapps. It was purchased as a cheapie off Ebay to use as a satnav and scrolling lyric sheet but I am getting to like it better than my S8+, comfortable to hold, premium feel and nice screen..

gwm121

Apr 16, 2020
note 4 trite custom rom stable fast volte musoic lyrics

My Note 4 is very fast on android 6 although I installed the very minimum gapps. It was purchased as a cheapie off Ebay to use as a satnav and scrolling lyric sheet but I am getting to like it better than my S8+, comfortable to hold, premium feel and nice screen..

soz I wanst clear. Note 4 910f on android 6.01 is fast enough. However when load custom rom the loading time is sigificantly slower annoyingly so. So im looking for a custom rom thats Fast stable with volte. presently on res remix with no volte. Pixel rom was bettter but camera kept crashing. Rom HAS to be reliable stable.

reason to keep note 4.. removable battery, also good for complete reset, infra red when lose tv remote, sd storage, notification LED fantasic fone, cant find one now at any price with all that.

reason need custom rom. Confusing to pick up older fone then new fone, shade access menus so diffferent, app draw icon on old swype up on new, screenshot menu different on each fone, etc, shame android changed so much, some things were better on 6 like text below icons on pulldown shade, wifi data etc. .. and volte swype up app draw sonos app runs,
May I ask... has anyone a note 4 910f with custom rom on which volte works (first part of call over wifi so that call can be made in no signal house)
Anyone operating a fast stable rom better than res remix, what about mui style thats a fab operating system.

your comment about lyrics is interesting, I bought a tyros 4 keyboard and looking for free download SIMPLE music scores, by simple, one note in right hand, 4 or so chord symbols per song, chord changes no faster than 1 per bar! any ideas or links please?

gwm121

Apr 16, 2020
note 4 smp10f samsung its still better in ways.. custom rom needed derpfest

I have a samsung sm910f trite qualcom
upgraded to new redmi note 8.... and miss these features...
1 big bright fast notification light i can see missed messages when near fone redmi is too small too slow
2. prefer smaller screen of note 4, i can easly put it in jeans pocket
3 stylus palm swype for screenshot removable battery

So ive loaded a few custom roms however all are slower than android 6 and camera sometimes freezes

:fingers-crossed::fingers-crossed:
Please can anyone who has loaded a custom rom to a sm910f trite qualcom which was reliable fast point me to a download thx
has anyone managed to get volte working on note 4 .. first part of call over wifi in bad signal home.
ive been watching reviews of derpfest which is for redmi note 4 i assume i cant use this, would it just not load or brick my fone..

re redmi note 8
oh has anyone a fix for the slow pulsing notification led on the new redmi note 8.. as it slowly fades and brightens you hsave to come close to the fone and wait for the cycle, if it flashed fast that would be better.

Fo

(InsertNameHere)

Jan 11, 2010
Still using a N910C. Stock rooted ROM. Use a zerolemon extended battery. I find the device quite clunky these days, many slow downs, have to use smart manager to clean up the storage a lot to make things run smooth again.

I remember F2FS making things run better on my previous phone, so when I do a factor reset I will try that, see if that can extend its life a bit further.

My only experience of using something more modern is a cheap AGM X3 I picked up. That's a good phone, but the screen is not as nice, the camera doesn't have OIS and no IR.

The note 4 has burn in over the whole screen, you can clearly see this at the top of the screen where notifications are displayed.

Still a keeper though

gwm121

Apr 16, 2020
note 4 sm910f sammy need proper working custom rom

note 4 still better than more modern fones for me due rem batt i.r stylus nice size

ive tried sooo many roms now, and looking for one thats fast, and everyting like camera bluetooth screenshot works, still looking
if anyone has one please post link.

using acip at present, home button to open doesnt work, freezes sometimes especially when unlock, camera freezes sometimes, an miss WOrds below icons on swype down shade for wifi data etc

Mr. JAVI

Nov 7, 2018
South Texas
note 4 still better than more modern fones for me due rem batt i.r stylus nice size

ive tried sooo many roms now, and looking for one thats fast, and everyting like camera bluetooth screenshot works, still looking
if anyone has one please post link.

using acip at present, home button to open doesnt work, freezes sometimes especially when unlock, camera freezes sometimes, an miss WOrds below icons on swype down shade for wifi data etc

Perhaps this is what your looking for

https://forum.xda-developers.com/no...wrp-flashable-deodexed-n910fxxu1dri2-t4149021

Reactions: YLNdroid

spaceturd3000

Jan 25, 2013
I'm still using mine, running Battlehero 6.0.1

Just bought the Note 20 Ultra 512GB...and so far I don't like it very much.
No AM or PM after the time (I know that's an android Pie thing, and yes I need that feature, not always able to "look out a window", not comfortable with 24hr time format)
The weight of the 20 Ultra is surprisingly heavy. I don't like the rounded edges OR the squared corners.

However, the camera is light years ahead of the Note 4 Camera, and I really wanted a flagship camera that can shoot macro shots very well. Note 4 image quality is unusable for close-up ebay photographs showing items condition in great detail. That's a common use for me.

Some software issues make neither phone perfect. I use the old Photoshop Touch app on my Note 4 and it works great. I was able to install it on the Note 20 Ultra (I bought it through Amazon App store, not play store, so it's still downloadable) but it won't run, crashes immediately.
However on the Note 4, Google Maps no longer works (though Google Maps Go works). But other apps like Strava depend on Google maps to work, so I have to keep it partially installed to keep Strava happy, but I keep getting error messages telling me to reinstall google maps (which never completes successfully).
Also, my Cox Security System app isn't compatible with Android 6, so I can't activate or deactivate my security system from the Note 4. Works fine on Note 20 Ultra.

Another gripe is that I use pattern unlock. On Note 4, when I wake up phone, it goes directly to the pattern input screen, but on Note 20 Ultra, I first have to swipe up, then enter the pattern. It's an extra swipe every time I wake up the phone. No way to disable the swipe and still use pattern unlock.

I can't believe how heavy the Note 20 Ultra is. I'm thinking of just using it on wifi only as a point and shoot camera, but I need to get google maps working again on my Note 4. It was working before, not sure why it stopped. I might reflash the same ROM and is if that fixes it.
Not sure I can return it now that it's been opened and all the protective films removed. Maybe I should have just bought a top end point and shoot camera instead of a new phone.

Reactions: Mr. JAVI

Tx Panda

Apr 27, 2020
Can u make flashable deodex stock rom for this version

Attachments

• Screenshot_2020-08-20-08-12-31.png
    Screenshot_2020-08-20-08-12-31.png
    243.3 KB · Views: 25
Reactions: Mr. JAVI

yoeddynz

Nov 4, 2016
I'm still loving my Note 4. Has not let me down but finally the original battery started to run down quicker. I replaced it with a new oem one and its now lasting like it used to along with a brighter screen again.
My camera does a little buzzy thing sometimes- the electro magnet focusing ring inside I guess. I give the phone a tap with my palm and it stops buzzing and works fine. Going to replace the camera because so cheap to buy new ones.

I just love the fact the battery is easy to swap out. Might get a spare battery for when I go hiking. Phone takes great pics. No point in replacing what is still a bloody nice phone to use and seems fast enough for what I need.

zzven

Dec 7, 2008
I really enjoy the Note 4.
Like the SPen even I do not use it often (but when I need it, it is useful)
Other think I like is the IR blaster, which is strong and can replace all my remotes. If a new phone wants to replace my Note 4 , IR baster is mandatory for me. It is a shame Samsung stopped IR blaster on their phones, it is a cheap component.
The drawback of the phone is the camera, good on daylight but lowlight is a bit messy, some Bands are missing today (B20...) and it is not waterproof, like a Galaxy S7 for example. I got my phone used as GPS on my motorcycle getting bad after a rain...
So I buy another one on second hand market...
Difficult to find another phone, there are some with IR blaster, but difficult to have a test to tell the IR range, on the net.
For the ROM I use Omega (Android 6.0.1) but want to find one on Android 5.5.1 - with vibration pattern)

DrunkTrooper

Apr 16, 2020
Hello, I'm currently on a OnePlus 5 but think that it's really overrated coming from my mod friendly S5 mini. I plan on maybe going back to an older phone, because I don't really need performance for anything except Dolphin and Citra Emulator (the MMJ variants of course) but I'd be willing to sacrifice it, since I've seen myself using it only rarely anyway, but I'm a little concerned about 1. The community, since it's an old phone, even though it's a really loved phone. 2. The stylus - does it work on custom ROMs? 3. The battery - I'd definitely buy a 3rd party battery, since the originals will have lost a LOT of capacity, but going from a 10nm SoC (SD 835) to a 20nm one (Exynos 5433) is a little concerning. (4. The kernel and modding sector - Are there good kernels from honest people, not guys like franciscofranco, and mods?) I'd really appreciate answers, maybe I could be helpful because I'm still very young but pretty experienced with modding, development and that stuff, even though I don't even own an x86 desktop and don't even speak english as a native language.
I guess that you might have a slightly hard time with it
(I'm not saying that it is a bad device)
I'll respond to the questions

No1-the community is great. I still get help from other developer's

No2-lets say it depends.... If you will flash a n7 or any port that is based on samsungs firmwares then yes the stylus is working BUT if you choose to flash an aosp custom rom then I'd say kinda but not the way you'd like to... It shows the hovering circle but samsung stock great drawing apps are gone and the aircommander isn't included Soo... If that's a problem you could just add that to your own aosp build

No3-well these cpu is a pretty powerhungry one UNLESS you flash a custom rom (I'd recommend an aosp one(they save wayyy more power) my note 4exynos had a max of 2hrs of screen on time but with a custom kernel (pixelexp) I get a max of 7-8hrs sooo.... It depends on the rom that you use

No4- if you're planning to use Samsung's stock rom then id recommend changing the kernel

Overall it is a great device but definitely not for prolonged gaming or emulating ((it heats up a lot)and the metal housing gets so hot that my hands look like spaghettis)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Yeah.

It really was a great phone.

How long now? 4 years? 5?

The screen is still fantastic. Big and wide and great definition and deep blacks.

The pen is not trying to do too many things.

The back cover comes off - and there's the battery.

Change the camera lens cover and the photographs are still excellent.

And the lovely metal work is elegant all the time.

It still manages all the games fine, boots fast, is quick with apps.

It's the best ok phone I've had - and I've had them all.

The note 10 is the first one that comes close. I like that they've kept it slim

But the Note 4 still rocks.

Ok. Bye!

Let me know what you think!
    After several update over last year the phone started to be very slow. The final blow came beginning Dec 2019 when it did restart by itself and did install then 1 app. Usually will ask me for this. Since then the battery drains 10 times faster. So it is obvious that the update was meant to make me buy a new phone... But I like soo much the note 4.
    First I did a factory resent. Did not help at all. Then I did flash it with Odin - now it works soooo fast, better than the new phones. But the battery drain continues. Fully charged in the evening I leave it in flight mode. In the morning the battery is only 50%. And this is with a new original Samsung battery I just bought. Will a re-flash with nand erase help? Does anyone have experience with this?

I was having issues with my battery.. Bought 2 more Samsung OEM batteries, and the problem was worse. The phone would either reboot, or shut down period.. Bought 2 (Brand New) ZeroLemon batteries and haven't had any issues yet.
    The Note 4 ... a great phone, the best I've ever had! Using it for 4 years now. If it breaks I will upgrade to the Samsung Xcover 4s. It also has a removable battery and the phone looks very reliable. But unfortunately no customs ROMs avaible for it now..
    Yup we're still building
    10 Android ROMs and counting.
    Plus Ubuntu touch !
    Why, of course, the battery is sealed now. Otherwise not much reason to upgrade year on year anymore. Phones are not leaps and bounds better from a few years ago. Only add gimmicks like in screen finger reader. Older flagship speed is enough if you don't play games. This world is sad.

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk