• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Question Anyone try any GSI ROMs on the G Power 2021?

Search This thread

Mkami

May 25, 2012
Toronto
Try downloading it again and then running the checksum again to make sure the file doesn't get corrupted. I've had network problems mess my files up before.

Thank you thank you thank you so much! After hours of trying and failing I have finally got LineageOS gsi working on my phone :D Thanks again for your help and patience. I appreciate it!

Solution. Go to extractions settings and tick mark "keep broken parts" allowing the full checksum to come out as matched. Everything seems to be good right now. :)

Reactions: arkansawdave74

thebestofall007

May 29, 2017
Thank you thank you thank you so much! After hours of trying and failing I have finally got LineageOS gsi working on my phone :D Thanks again for your help and patience. I appreciate it!

Solution. Go to extractions settings and tick mark "keep broken parts" allowing the full checksum to come out as matched. Everything seems to be good right now. :)
Good to see you got it working! You're welcome.

thebestofall007

May 29, 2017
Sorry I've been gone for a while. Seems like MMS/SMS and headphone jack detection is broken. Everything else is working.
Same goes for the LineageOS GSI I'm using that is also based on PHH's work.

I got a question: Would you know how to determine if this device tree would work for this phone?

https://github.com/MrNerd/MotoGPower_2020_DT

I know it says 2020 on it, but I looked through some of it and it points to Borneo. Mr. Nerd told me he used a python script to generate this tree.

Update: I just got word that motorola is releasing the device tree and kernel tree:

https://github.com/MotorolaMobilityLLC/kernel-msm/issues/374

I'm trying to pitch together the necessary source code (kernel and device tree files) to get the ball rolling on a proper custom ROM (NOT a GSI) for this phone (especially LineageOS).

triggerlord

Dec 15, 2015
Moto G Power (2021)
Same goes for the LineageOS GSI I'm using that is also based on PHH's work.

I got a question: Would you know how to determine if this device tree would work for this phone?

https://github.com/MrNerd/MotoGPower_2020_DT

I know it says 2020 on it, but I looked through some of it and it points to Borneo. Mr. Nerd told me he used a python script to generate this tree.

I'm trying to pitch together the necessary source code (kernel and device tree files) to get the ball rolling on a proper custom ROM (NOT a GSI) for this phone (especially LineageOS).
Honestly it would probably be easier to fix these two things in the GSI and set the default hole punch offset. Rather than try to create a device tree and port the ROM from scratch.

thebestofall007

May 29, 2017
Not saying you shouldn't try if you want to but it's more work.
I agree, but it's good to have a dedicated ROM alternative in the end.
Sorry I've been gone for a while. Seems like MMS/SMS and headphone jack detection is broken. Everything else is working.
Have you had any issues with Bluetooth? The phone connects fine, but I can't get Bluetooth audio to work. How do I fix this? MMS/SMS seems to be working for me. I'm using the ROM in this thread: https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/lir-project-rom-los-18-1-based-on.4328019/ which is based on PHH's work.

Last edited:

triggerlord

Dec 15, 2015
Moto G Power (2021)

arkansawdave74

Nov 1, 2014
San Antonio, TX
Sir, I think that IS the device tree for this phone. I bet it had a late release so they had to rename it 2021. That would also explain why a 2021 came with Android 10. That tree is even called motorola_borneo. This phone was planned to be the Moto G Power 2020 but didn't make it in time is my guess. I did a github search for borneo...I wonder why it didn't pull that up....

EDIT: Okay now I see it's Mr. Nerd's repo. Maybe 2020 was a typo or something, but I do bet it's the device tree for the 2021. No other directory would be called motorola_borneo and Mr. Nerd DID say he had generated a device tree....

Last edited:
NEED ASSISTANCE ... I have the moto g stylus 2021.. I am able to flash and have everything running just no data no phone calls nor messages .. it sees the sim and knows the number.. I'm thinking there's something very minor to do but I can't find an answer.. any suggestions would be appreciated. thank you all.

arkansawdave74

Nov 1, 2014
San Antonio, TX
I had to initially update my ADB/fastboot drivers on my linux mint system (the one I'm flashing with) because the one that comes from the repositories is older than dinosaurs
Isn't t that the case with all apt packages? LOL. Sorry I had to pick on you. It's a friendly pick though.

This post has no value and the poster should be ashamed of himself....

EDIT: To give this post some value I just flashed the system-a64-ab-gapps-nosu-userdebug.img from https://sourceforge.net/projects/resurrection-remix-q-gsi/. An unofficial Resurrection Remix Q GSI. The flash seemed to go well but I did have to delete and create the logical partitions to make the resizing work. I also erased system and userdata, but it's probably not necessary when you recreate the logical partitions. I erased them anyway. After 15 minutes of splash screen I flashed it again, this time finishing with a

fastboot -w

which probably did nothing since userdata was already erased. Another 15 minutes of splash screen so I flashed back to stock.

I'm downloading the Lineage 11 @thebestofall007 shared in post #62 (sorry quote is broken in my desktop firefox [it breaks the matrix]) to make sure I did everything right (this was my 1st time flashing a GSI). Thank you for sharing and do you still think it works well?

EDIT: I didn't flash the Lineage GSI. I realized that few or none of the GSIs are going to have the Chop Chop Flashlight. I'm gonna just roll with GravityBox. I ain't giving up Chop Chop.

Last edited:

arkansawdave74

Nov 1, 2014
San Antonio, TX
I found a lineage OS GSI that is phh-treble based here and it works well with this phone. I am trying it out as I type. I was able to fastboot flash a magisk boot image on it no problem to root it so I could run AdAway.

The main problem with this ROM so far is that it does not include Gapps out of the box. How do I get Gapps on this one? I used the TWRP from the XDA thread here, to try out several flavors of Gapps (opengapps, nikgapps, bitgapps, etc.), but the flash fails due to the system partition being read-only or not having enough space on it. Furthermore, this particular TWRP doesn't offer to allow modifications to the system partition.
I've had the partition not big enough problem before flashing regular roms. I believe I fixed it with a

fastboot -w

right after the system install. It's been a while though. I know fastboot -w fixed it but I don't exactly remember when to do it. I actually think I booted the system without gapps, completed setup, and then booted to fastbootd, ran fastboot -w, then installed gapps. It may have even been fastboot -w before the system install. Sorry it's been a long time and I tried many things, but I know for sure a "fastboot -w" somewhere fixes it if anyone has the same problem.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I'm looking at an android 11 based GSI rom right now. The main problem is that I can't get TWRP to work properly.
    Just saying, you don't need TWRP to flash GSIs.
    Hey thanks, so before I proceed what are the steps to fastbooting that GSI rom you recommended, thanks!
    1. update your adb/fastboot with the google link I showed.
    2. enable usb debugging in System>Developer Options>USB Debugging.
    3. connect your phone to your computer with USB cable. when prompt comes up on phone, allow the debugging.
    4. issue command
    Code:
    adb reboot recovery
    to reboot phone to recovery.
    5. when the dead android robot shows, hold down power and press vol up to get to menu. select enter fastboot (third option down).
    6. when in fastboot mode, enter the commands to delete and recreate the system partition.
    Code:
    fastboot delete-logical-partition system_a
    fastboot delete-logical-partition system_b
    fastboot create-logical-partition system_a 100000
    fastboot create-logical-partition system_b 100000
    7. flash the image with this command:
    Code:
    fastboot flash system <name of image>
    8. clear userdata with
    Code:
    fastboot erase userdata
    9. enter command
    Code:
    fastboot reboot
    to reboot the phone.
    I unlocked the bootloader but I didn't erase user data.
    Ah if that doesn't work try "system_a" instead. Anyway you always have to erase the data partition or it could cause problems.
    GOOD NEWS! I FINALLY GOT IT TO BOOT THE GSI.

I had to initially update my ADB/fastboot drivers on my linux mint system (the one I'm flashing with) because the one that comes from the repositories is older than dinosaurs and doesn't recognize the --force option:

Code:
    wget https://dl.google.com/android/repository/platform-tools-latest-linux.zip
    unzip \platform-tools-latest-linux.zip
    sudo cp platform-tools/adb /usr/bin/adb
    sudo cp platform-tools/fastboot /usr/bin/fastboot

Next I had to wipe my userdata like triggerlord said, as that did cause me problems the first time. So I wiped userdata with

Code:
    fastboot erase userdata

I then flashed with the force argument. Here is the output:

sudo fastboot --force flash system system-roar-arm64-ab-vanilla.img
    Resizing 'system_a' OKAY [ 0.008s]
    Sending sparse 'system_a' 1/4 (458752 KB) OKAY [ 20.873s]
    Writing 'system_a' OKAY [ 2.666s]
    Sending sparse 'system_a' 2/4 (458752 KB) OKAY [ 20.548s]
    Writing 'system_a' OKAY [ 2.665s]
    Sending sparse 'system_a' 3/4 (458752 KB) OKAY [ 20.779s]
    Writing 'system_a' OKAY [ 2.581s]
    Sending sparse 'system_a' 4/4 (161956 KB) OKAY [ 7.270s]
    Writing 'system_a' OKAY [ 1.246s]
    Finished. Total time: 78.651s

I wouldn't recommend using the force argument.. That might change the logical partition to a physical one and the LSA might fail to flash the stock ROM. Worst case that might brick it.
    yes, I agree with you. I was able to use LMSA to restore my phone thank goodness and it didn't hurt it.

TWRP can natively flash GSIs. You just have to change the image type from flashable zip to img.
    For some reason, I wasn't able to flash the image with TWRP, as the flash didn't finish, and I got no error message either, strangely, and the image wouldn't boot.

The main problem with this vanilla image is that the mobile/cell network doesn't work and has wifi-only networking. It was fun trying it out, though! Does anyone know one that does work with cell network?
    If you do try one I'd recommend trying the latest build of PHH's AOSP. You'll want to use one of these images.