Question Anyone using nova launcher 7.0.57 have split screen working?

Search This thread

Schroeder09

Nov 6, 2017
Google Pixel 7 Pro
I'm using this nova launcher, and whenever I attempt to use split screen I receive the error "pixel launcher has crashed." Nova is set as my default launcher though. I'm on a p7p latest update.

J0nhy

Jan 22, 2016
I'm using this nova launcher, and whenever I attempt to use split screen I receive the error "pixel launcher has crashed." Nova is set as my default launcher though. I'm on a p7p latest update.
Works fine as we speak

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230131-095036_WhatsApp~2.png
    Screenshot_20230131-095036_WhatsApp~2.png
    457.5 KB · Views: 138

rester555

Oct 27, 2010
Google Pixel 6 Pro
I really loved split screen when we had the three button navigation. You could double tap the recents button and then split your screen immediately. I wish Google would make it easier than it currently is. I really wish if you went into recents by swiping up to your right from the bottom and it was an option below like screenshot. This is one of the things that drives me nuts with Google and there horrible human factors

I really loved split screen when we had the three button navigation. You could double tap the recents button and then split your screen immediately. I wish Google would make it easier than it currently is. I really wish if you went into recents by swiping up to your right from the bottom and it was an option below like screenshot. This is one of the things that drives me nuts with Google and there horrible human factors
I agree. I've wondered for a long time how Split Screen went from being so easy to no longer anything I think about anymore

Schroeder09

Nov 6, 2017
Google Pixel 7 Pro
I just went back to the pixel launcher to see if it would do split screen. It does. Whenever I go back to nova it crashes and split screen doesn't work. What are the motions/ gestures to get it to work on a13 on a p7p? I've read on some older threads where people had the same issue that they had to find a way to make it work with seemingly "secret" gestures.

rester555

Oct 27, 2010
Google Pixel 6 Pro
You have to swipe from the bottom up to the right to access your recent apps. Press the app icon you are currently using in recents. A selection menu will pull down and you select split screen. The current app will move to the top of the screen and allow you to select another app to split screen with.

With split screen in the past, you would have a three-button navigation at the bottom. The button on the right was recents. If you double pressed the reasons button, the app you are currently on would go to the top of the screen and allow you to select another app to split screen. It was easy and one of the best functions of Android. When they move to gestures, they took the function away and now it takes three more touches to get to split screen.

At the same time, Android has not worked on this function and over time it has become bug laden mess. I find it crashes often.

Reactions: letmedanz

lil_kujo

Oct 29, 2015
Nokia Lumia 920
Nokia Lumia 900
Have you tried nova launcher 8 beta? Split screen works fine with that build. Also the prime if you have paid from it works too.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230202-051232.png
    Screenshot_20230202-051232.png
    254.4 KB · Views: 80
  • Screenshot_20230202-051415.png
    Screenshot_20230202-051415.png
    503.2 KB · Views: 80

Schroeder09

Nov 6, 2017
Google Pixel 7 Pro
Have you tried nova launcher 8 beta? Split screen works fine with that build. Also the prime if you have paid from it works too.
Thanks for the reply. Yes, I updated to 8.0.3 last night and I still have the same issue. I think aosp mods through lsposed is causing me trouble. I'm asking for help in that tread. Others have similar setups to mine, so idk what's going on. Anyone here in a13 with nova launcher on a p70 and have split screen working?

lil_kujo

Oct 29, 2015
Nokia Lumia 920
Nokia Lumia 900
I use nova on a13 but I'm fully stock and there is no issues. So it might be the some mod. Typically if searching for the culprit of a bug you would first disable all the mods and go from there testing one mod at a time. It's very hard to find a solution when you have a modded environment. Basically since on stock android with no mods it's not having issues most likely it's one of the mods you are using that is perhaps causing the issue.

Thanks for the reply. Yes, I updated to 8.0.3 last night and I still have the same issue. I think aosp mods through lsposed is causing me trouble. I'm asking for help in that tread. Others have similar setups to mine, so idk what's going on. Anyone here in a13 with nova launcher on a p70 and have split screen working?
I also use Nova 8.xx beta with AOSP Mods and have no issue with split screen

Reactions: Schroeder09

dr.wtf

Dec 25, 2011
Split screen breaks when you disable animations in developer options

Specifically you can't turn off Animator duration scale

Last edited:
Reactions: x111

Schroeder09

Nov 6, 2017
Google Pixel 7 Pro

Wow. You got it. This was it. I DESPISE animations though. They make the phone feel slow like an iphone. Disabling animations is always the very first thing I do with a new phone. So is this a nova launcher problem? If I go back to the pixel launcher with animations totally disabled there is no issue.

I typically use split screen at least once a week, and sometimes it's more or less. I've been using nova for almost a month it seems. Maybe I really hadn't tried split screen prior to making this post, but that seems odd. What I'm getting at here is that it seems even nova had to have functioning split screen while animations were totally disabled. I have all animations disabled except for the "animator scale." Now I have animations when swiping back from apps to go home. Popping a new app open still doesn't have an animation.

The lowest animation scale I have is . 5x. On past phones and older android versions I think there were even smaller options. Anyone know of a root or Xposed module to give me more options? If I can cut this down to .1x or even . 25x I will deal with it.

At . 5x animations and only using split screen 1x/week or I might just deal with not having split screen. I despise animations.

Edit: https://xdaforums.com/t/animations-set-scale-set-to-25.4365695/

Will those adb commands through my on-device terminal work? Can I use other scales like . 1 instead of just . 25x? Will this add animations for everything? Currently I only set the animator duration scale to . 5x. All the other animation options are still toggled off.

I also found a scaleR magisk module, but the last activity in the thread was in 2020, and I don't wanna message round with bootloops, wiping, and restoring my phone this weekend.

EDIT 2: I issued the command "settings put global animator_duration_scale 0.01" in terminal (had to use SU /root command) and the command itself works, but anything below the menu options of . 5x makes the nova launcher behave as if you have animations off, ie split screen doesn't work.

Last edited:

dr.wtf

Dec 25, 2011
I also turn animations off first thing. I'll rather pass on the dual screen feature than turn animations on.

Schroeder09

Nov 6, 2017
Google Pixel 7 Pro
I also turn animations off first thing. I'll rather pass on the dual screen feature than turn animations on.
So the limitation is on the nova side? The feature still works on the pixel launcher with animations off. Any suggestions on overcoming this? So I just need to email the nova team or report it as a bug? I would consider it a a bug- flip a switch (animations) that has nothing to do with the functionality and that functionality then works? That's a bug. I wonder if a magisk module could do this or if through tasker the animations could be toggled on only when the split screen option was selected. Whenever split screen was exited another shell command ran through tasker would turn animations back off.

dr.wtf

Dec 25, 2011
Guess a bug report is always good. For Tasker I think autoinput can do this

Schroeder09

Nov 6, 2017
Google Pixel 7 Pro
Guess a bug report is always good. For Tasker I think autoinput can do this
Collect a bug report through android system?

I have autoinput, but have never used it a single time. I was understanding that it actually had to do its tasks in the foreground. If I use it to toggle the animation scale does that mean I'm going gto see the settings app flash to the foreground, an automated button click on the animation scale toggle, and then have things revert back to where I was in trying to split screen something?

dr.wtf

Dec 25, 2011
I don't know how Nova launcher devs can receive bug reports. They probably have some support link somewhere.

My idea was sending the command via Tasker as soon as you open the recents view which can be recognized with autoinput. And then you can come up with an idea for an exit task condition. Just play around with it.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I just wanted to clarify that this is not a Nova specific issue in any way. If you test this same thing in other 3rd party launchers, such as Action Launcher or Niagara Launcher, you will get the same results there just as you do when using Nova Launcher.

I have gotten several emails sent to us via support@novalauncher.com about this issue and it wasn't until today that someone linked me to this thread, which is why I'm here now.

Just to clarify things a bit more as well. Any time you get a Pixel Launcher Has Stopped message, that tells you it's not a Nova issue, or an issue with any 3rd party launcher you are using at that time. That's strictly a Google/Android issue and only Google can fix it at that time, just like only Google can fix this issue at this time.

We always ask that when you experience issues like this to please test in another or several other 3rd party launchers first. Stock launchers have complete access to the system whereas 3rd party launchers don't. Additionally, 3rd party launchers have no access to the recent apps screen either. The recent apps screen is controlled by Android and your device OEM and is tied directly to your stock launcher, in this case, Pixel Launcher.

Hopefully this clears up a few things and allows others to know that issue is not specific to Nova and not something Nova can fix.

~Cliff Wade
    Director of Customer Relations for Nova Launcher
    You have to swipe from the bottom up to the right to access your recent apps. Press the app icon you are currently using in recents. A selection menu will pull down and you select split screen. The current app will move to the top of the screen and allow you to select another app to split screen with.

With split screen in the past, you would have a three-button navigation at the bottom. The button on the right was recents. If you double pressed the reasons button, the app you are currently on would go to the top of the screen and allow you to select another app to split screen. It was easy and one of the best functions of Android. When they move to gestures, they took the function away and now it takes three more touches to get to split screen.

At the same time, Android has not worked on this function and over time it has become bug laden mess. I find it crashes often.
    I also use Nova 8.xx beta with AOSP Mods and have no issue with split screen