Question Anyone using the new Pixel 7/pro VPN? Thoughts? Input?

Search This thread

allweknowisa

Nov 4, 2013
Xiaomi Mi Pad 4
Google Pixel 4 XL
I think it's useful to have it when you connect to open security WiFi networks like hotels, restaurants, airports, or whatsoever. Completely pointless at home or in a 4G network.

Privacy-wise, I'm not worried. I have a phone made by google, with all the google services installed on it. I have my photos, contacts, SMS, in a cloud hosted by google. I use a browser built by google. I know it's not the best decision, but it's comfortable for me. The point is, if google wants any information about me, they will have it, no matter if I use their VPN or not. If i don't want my personal data on google servers, I'd start by not purchasing a Pixel phone, or purchasing it to install GrapheneOS on it.

96carboard

Jul 17, 2018
I thought about using this but I assumed it was going to destroy my battery life. Is this going to allow Google to spy on us anymore just the same amount while preventing others from spying on us?

It absolutely will allow them to track you more! Without their VPN they could only see network connections directed to THEIR servers. Now they get to know EVERYTHING you connect to.

By advice if you want to use a free VPN that is anonymous and secure, is to use TOR via Orbot. It is a little slower than you would normally see, but not unreasonably so.

96carboard

Jul 17, 2018
I think it's useful to have it when you connect to open security WiFi networks like hotels, restaurants, airports, or whatsoever. Completely pointless at home or in a 4G network.

Privacy-wise, I'm not worried. I have a phone made by google, with all the google services installed on it. I have my photos, contacts, SMS, in a cloud hosted by google. I use a browser built by google. I know it's not the best decision, but it's comfortable for me. The point is, if google wants any information about me, they will have it, no matter if I use their VPN or not. If i don't want my personal data on google servers, I'd start by not purchasing a Pixel phone, or purchasing it to install GrapheneOS on it.

Unfortunately, pretty much the only option for secure phones is Pixel + GrapheneOS. Every other vendor rams the same google crap down your throat, but worse, they don't let you delete it, and they add in THEIR OWN spyware.

Google has been engaging in some very questionable activities, politically, for quite a while now. I definitely wouldn't trust them with ANYTHING. The latest is a $13 million fund for phoney "fact checkers" (which as every intelligent person knows, are just propaganda pushers). Source: https://www.rebelnews.com/google_and_youtube_announce_13_million_grant_into_fact_checking_fund

craigacgomez

Jan 29, 2010
Tustin
The details of the VPN and logging policy are available here https://one.google.com/about/vpn/howitworks
The results of a 3rd part independent audit are here https://compliance.ioxtalliance.org/products/143
The reference implementation source code of the Google VPN is here https://github.com/google/vpn-libraries

I suggest you read the details and make an informed decision using the available data. I'm not advocating for/against this service, but I will say that it is a far better option than your ISP or mobile network or any public network.

lil_kujo

Oct 29, 2015
Nokia Lumia 920
Nokia Lumia 900
The details of the VPN and logging policy are available here https://one.google.com/about/vpn/howitworks
The results of a 3rd part independent audit are here https://compliance.ioxtalliance.org/products/143
The reference implementation source code of the Google VPN is here https://github.com/google/vpn-libraries

I suggest you read the details and make an informed decision using the available data. I'm not advocating for/against this service, but I will say that it is a far better option than your ISP or mobile network or any public network.
I agree with you. It's not about just going and making pointless arguments.

pflatlyne

Apr 24, 2007
Actually
It absolutely will allow them to track you more! Without their VPN they could only see network connections directed to THEIR servers. Now they get to know EVERYTHING you connect to.

By advice if you want to use a free VPN that is anonymous and secure, is to use TOR via Orbot. It is a little slower than you would normally see, but not unreasonably so.
Actually allwenowisa is right. The Google apps track all kinds of stuff. Even if they don't track the information they can find if you use googled VPN, if they wanted to, they could simply add that too. And if they decide that they do want that information from 5he VPN, they most likely WILL add it to the information already collected by the Google apps. So if you buy Google's phone and run Google's operating system and all off Google's app, figure they know everything or at least everything that they care about and the only reason they don't care about the rest is because they have not yet figured out a way to monetize it.

• Haha
Reactions: Mrcactuseater

Nettwerk

Well I have comments for this. Some of people will say google and vpn no trust. But for me integrated free vpn feature which does job is big plus. I was waitting to try it. Yes no ads blocking but always you can use web browsing with addons. For security on open networks, caffee, hotels etc., well done Google. If I'm correct similar feature available for iPhone as well for while.

Screenshot_20221204-093405.png

lil_kujo

Oct 29, 2015
Nokia Lumia 920
Nokia Lumia 900
It is likely a better option than other free VPNs for those unable or unwilling to pay for a service. Still showing as a Premium Service on my P7P. At any rate, I will stay with Proton.
I had to go back to stable to get the VPN feature. Was on latest beta en my 7 was on stable got the VPN option right away. On my 7pro I was still not showing so decided to go back to stable and it showed up right away.

Gerr1

May 15, 2019
Unfortunately, pretty much the only option for secure phones is Pixel + GrapheneOS. Every other vendor rams the same google crap down your throat, but worse, they don't let you delete it, and they add in THEIR OWN spyware.

Google has been engaging in some very questionable activities, politically, for quite a while now. I definitely wouldn't trust them with ANYTHING. The latest is a $13 million fund for phoney "fact checkers" (which as every intelligent person knows, are just propaganda pushers). Source: https://www.rebelnews.com/google_and_youtube_announce_13_million_grant_into_fact_checking_fund
GrapheneOS is not the only Option, search for eOS

hubono

Oct 22, 2005
Muscat
Google Pixel 7 Pro
Is the vpn country restricted?
I'm using the phone in oman, basically an unsupported country. I get the option but when it connects it fails saying that "vpn is disabled. Sign in or check your subscription status"

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221204-210851.png
    Screenshot_20221204-210851.png
    269.5 KB · Views: 74

96carboard

Jul 17, 2018
Actually

Actually allwenowisa is right. The Google apps track all kinds of stuff. Even if they don't track the information they can find if you use googled VPN, if they wanted to, they could simply add that too. And if they decide that they do want that information from 5he VPN, they most likely WILL add it to the information already collected by the Google apps. So if you buy Google's phone and run Google's operating system and all off Google's app, figure they know everything or at least everything that they care about and the only reason they don't care about the rest is because they have not yet figured out a way to monetize it.

So run a google-free operating system on it.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    As per the question asked by the OP. The VPN offered by Google so far is not the best. There is another thread on the forum where it is discussed and honestly you are better off for now with another option for VPN. I'm using surfshark and got any amazing deal for three years and is one of the top VPN providers world wide.
    I haven't even bothered to try it. I have had VPN.ac since 2016 and have no desire to switch. Actually just paid my $40.60 renewal for the year today (they have continued to renew me at the same promo I signed up with in 2016 so my price hasn't changed which has been great).

I thought about using this but I assumed it was going to destroy my battery life. Is this going to allow Google to spy on us anymore just the same amount while preventing others from spying on us?