Anyone using their Pixel stock ?

Search This thread

mikeprius

Jan 13, 2014
Orange County, California
Just thought I'd toss this question out to all the Pixel owners, anyone just using their Pixel straightup stock ? I'm not sure if it's been bc I've been modding for 3+ years or this is my 3rd device which I can actually customize (other 2 were Nexus and still work), but the Pixel right now I've just loaded a custom kernel and rooted the stock image. I really use CF Lumen and it works best with root. I did try stock kernel, but it's not as good as Elemental X. Barring those 2, I feel like I'm at the point where the stock is ok.......either that or I've flashed too much haha :highfive:

bobby janow

Jun 15, 2010
I've been flashing since my Eris was OC to 750. Modded the heck out of my 5x with almost every rom and kernel.

I have not done anything to this device. I got the Verizon model in November and had the chance to depixel8. I decided to skip it and stay locked and I've not looked back. Not that I have much of a choice now anyway.

I take the OTA when it arrives reboot and done. The device is quick responsive, no random reboots, no mic problems, or shutdown issues. Perhaps I'm lucky but nonetheless I very rarely plug in during the day. Once I got down to 15% battery but only once. I get about 30 hours uptime according to stats. I don't bother with sot because I use the phone a lot and that is more draining for me.

I have my banking app, AP, pics, and some sensitive data that I feel safe with, relatively, with my locked bootloader. I still mess around with my 5x however. I flashed O build, relocked it, played around and unlocked again to flash back to stock. It keeps me from total withdrawal.

Sent from my Pixel using XDA-Developers Legacy app

n00bpwner

Feb 1, 2014
yeah since im on the verizon model and i like android pay i havent tried any rooting or custom roms.

mikeprius

Jan 13, 2014
I've been flashing since my Eris was OC to 750. Modded the heck out of my 5x with almost every rom and kernel.

I have not done anything to this device. I got the Verizon model in November and had the chance to depixel8. I decided to skip it and stay locked and I've not looked back. Not that I have much of a choice now anyway.

I take the OTA when it arrives reboot and done. The device is quick responsive, no random reboots, no mic problems, or shutdown issues. Perhaps I'm lucky but nonetheless I very rarely plug in during the day. Once I got down to 15% battery but only once. I get about 30 hours uptime according to stats. I don't bother with sot because I use the phone a lot and that is more draining for me.

I have my banking app, AP, pics, and some sensitive data that I feel safe with, relatively, with my locked bootloader. I still mess around with my 5x however. I flashed O build, relocked it, played around and unlocked again to flash back to stock. It keeps me from total withdrawal.

Sent from my Pixel using XDA-Developers Legacy app

yeah since im on the verizon model and i like android pay i havent tried any rooting or custom roms.

The Nexus 5x is a nice little device. I also got mine modded and I am probably only one of the few that likes the build. I personally like that plastic. Durable and lightweight. Plus if it saves costs that's good as well, but I like the plastic types. I used the 5x to still mod and every now and then I'll switch phones and use it as a regular, but the Pixel runs pretty smooth I'll give Google credit. I don't care for the look of the phone, but it operates very well with no lag and I guess b/c I know I can mod my 5x I don't have as much of a need to mod the Pixel. I wondered if I was the only one. LOL

n00bpwner

Feb 1, 2014
idgaf about the look of the phone. i have a speck grip case and its stealth black all the way.

troy`

May 29, 2010
White Bear Lake
I used to flash a lot on all my previous devices, but now I use the Pixel stock and I am completely satisfied.

I'm with you there. Honestly. When I did root/kernel/rom my pixel. I felt the strong urge to return it to stock for ease of updates and to ensure stability. So I did. And I've not ever used a stock phone since the G1.... Just don't need to mod anymore, personally.

Reactions: micr0g

krelvinaz

Feb 20, 2008
Mesa AZ
I went though rooting etc with most of my previous phones gong way back and even with my last phone the Nexus 5X but eventually returned it to stock after I found Adguard and no longer needed root for ad blocking.

When I got my Pixel I didn't even think about it, while it was the Verizon version I had the chance to root it but didn't bother.

Phone just plain works without any mods, OTA'S are simple and all banking, android pay work without having to screw with it.

Phone is secure, fast and just plain works

Quite content.

mikeprius

Jan 13, 2014
Ok decided to be submissive and restore back to stock and lock my bootloader. I've never used android pay in all 3 phones I've had lol. Feels weird.....

On the flip side at least my sh-t is working lol. The android auto was having issues connecting with my car on a custom rom. Standard ROM, no issues.

biffwitch

Feb 4, 2017
I'm using mine stock but considering selling it or rooting it (Knowing me i'll cave and get a S8+ and sell it even though my gut is saying no). I am very picky but I really want to love my Pixel.

Anyway the issues that are annoying me are :

1. Mobile data doesn't always work on the play store, it just says I have no connection even though Chrome and Deezer and other apps use data fine, it is also intermittent and works on and off. If it stops working I have to reboot the phone.

2. I would like to be able to put the phone back to sleep with the finger print sensor as the power button is too high up for my tastes.

3. Texts and Emails do not come through during a call forcing me to miss important notifications, and they flood in once I put the phone down... not cool.

4. Apps constantly reload and refresh even though I have 1.3 to 1.7gb ram left over, even messages and phone etc.
(Of course this is the same in all android phones but thought Google might have this one sorted)

5. Google photos shows some grey tiles which look like blank photos but there aren't any there, and the app also freezes when deleting photos. If I reboot the grey tiles (ghost photos) disappear.

These things are driving me to distraction but I am loathe to root if custom roms don't fix them.
I have not factory reset as the phone is generally fast and I do not believe it will do anything but be a lesson in frustration.

P.S. I do love the Camera and the small form factor of the phone as well as the screen. I am also loving cardboard camera and all the VR side of things, just to put a more positive spin on things.

Last edited:

mikeprius

Jan 13, 2014
I'm using mine stock but considering selling it or rooting it (Knowing me i'll cave and get a S8+ and sell it even though my gut is saying no). I am very picky but I really want to love my Pixel.

1. Mobile data doesn't always work on the play store, it just says I have no connection even though Chrome and Deezer and other apps use data fine, it is also intermittent and works on and off. If it stops working I have to reboot the phone.

2. I would like to be able to put the phone back to sleep with the finger print sensor as the power button is too high up for my tastes.

3. Texts and Emails do not come through during a call forcing me to miss important notifications, and they flood in once I put the phone down... not cool.

4. Apps constantly reload and refresh even though I have 1.3 to 1.7gb ram left over, even messages and phone etc.
(Of course this is the same in all android phones but thought Google might have this one sorted)

5. Google photos shows some grey tiles which look like blank photos but there aren't any there, and the app also freezes when deleting photos. If I reboot the grey tiles (ghost photos) disappear.

These things are driving me to distraction but I am loathe to root if custom roms don't fix them.
I have not factory reset as the phone is generally fast and I do not believe it will do anything but be a lesson in frustration.

P.S. I do love the Camera and the small form factor of the phone as well as the screen. I am also loving cardboard camera and all the VR side of things, just to put a more positive spin on things.

I find the phone runs really smooth. The system does not lag like the Nexuses before this is a huge thing for me. I'm surprised you have had some stuttering. The S8 what I don't like is everything keeps getting larger. For women who use purses I find this to be less of an issue, but jamming a 5.5"+ phone in the pocket I got tired of doing that. I purposely got the 5x and pixel for the smaller size....and customization. I hope the jumbo phones eventually cap off or there are smaller alternatives available. If I need large screen size I'll get on a computer, but pocketing a 6" phone is cumbersome.

I know someone with the S7 and the camera on that is really good. From all the mfgs, I really only think Samsung can effectively bring to the table something to compete with Apple. LG, HTC and even the Pixel are fringe phones, but I'm even realistic that the Pixel isn't an "iphone killer" although I do love it a lot myself.

Reactions: Jonathan-H

mikeprius

Jan 13, 2014
I went though rooting etc with most of my previous phones gong way back and even with my last phone the Nexus 5X but eventually returned it to stock after I found Adguard and no longer needed root for ad blocking.

When I got my Pixel I didn't even think about it, while it was the Verizon version I had the chance to root it but didn't bother.

Phone just plain works without any mods, OTA'S are simple and all banking, android pay work without having to screw with it.

Phone is secure, fast and just plain works

Quite content.

Do you have a subscription for Adguard ? Is it the VPN blocking type of thing ?

mikeprius

Jan 13, 2014
So far everything is working well. The only thing I miss a lot with root is CF lumen. The non-root CF lumen overlay looks horrible. I just use nightlight which is OK. Also adblocking. I tried one program earlier but it did not work as well as adaway. Still looking for a non root ad blocker.

kryptik06

Aug 23, 2008
H-Town
Been rooting my phone since G1 and I have yet to find a real reason to root this device. I'm actually satisfied with stock, besides not having a true ad blocker I can't complain.

kEvinErd

Jul 23, 2011
Me. I did contemplate rooting because hate ads, but I love Android Pay. And I'm getting very lazy to constantly keep up to date with all the different custom ROMs and mods. These days, I just let OTAs do the job.

krelvinaz

Feb 20, 2008
Mesa AZ
I'm using adguard and I noticed the ads in chrome are being blocked, but the ads in youtube are showing ? I have the HTTPS cert installed.

Also what's your experience been with battery life having the VPN constantly on ?
I don't see ads on YouTube since I have YouTube Red (via Google Music family plan I have). I still see the stupid info banners but that is from the same data feed that the videos come from.

Its not perfect, but certainly cuts out most of the stupidity that shows up not only in the browser but also in most of the apps which still provide advertising even if you have a paid version.

A few apps are white listed as they don't work with it. I can either turn it off for a moment to access that app or just add them to the white list.

Examples: Alexa, Kasa and WeMo.

As for battery life, I get great battery life. I have WiFi turned on most of the time when I am at home and work, but don't use it normally when out and about.

Reactions: mikeprius

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I used to flash a lot on all my previous devices, but now I use the Pixel stock and I am completely satisfied.

I'm with you there. Honestly. When I did root/kernel/rom my pixel. I felt the strong urge to return it to stock for ease of updates and to ensure stability. So I did. And I've not ever used a stock phone since the G1.... Just don't need to mod anymore, personally.

+1

I find the phone runs really smooth. The system does not lag like the Nexuses before this is a huge thing for me. I'm surprised you have had some stuttering. The S8 what I don't like is everything keeps getting larger. For women who use purses I find this to be less of an issue, but jamming a 5.5"+ phone in the pocket I got tired of doing that. I purposely got the 5x and pixel for the smaller size....and customization. I hope the jumbo phones eventually cap off or there are smaller alternatives available. If I need large screen size I'll get on a computer, but pocketing a 6" phone is cumbersome.

I know someone with the S7 and the camera on that is really good. From all the mfgs, I really only think Samsung can effectively bring to the table something to compete with Apple. LG, HTC and even the Pixel are fringe phones, but I'm even realistic that the Pixel isn't an "iphone killer" although I do love it a lot myself.
    I'm using adguard and I noticed the ads in chrome are being blocked, but the ads in youtube are showing ? I have the HTTPS cert installed.

Also what's your experience been with battery life having the VPN constantly on ?
    I don't see ads on YouTube since I have YouTube Red (via Google Music family plan I have). I still see the stupid info banners but that is from the same data feed that the videos come from.

Its not perfect, but certainly cuts out most of the stupidity that shows up not only in the browser but also in most of the apps which still provide advertising even if you have a paid version.

A few apps are white listed as they don't work with it. I can either turn it off for a moment to access that app or just add them to the white list.

Examples: Alexa, Kasa and WeMo.

As for battery life, I get great battery life. I have WiFi turned on most of the time when I am at home and work, but don't use it normally when out and about.