Anyone using this on Verizon yet?

Search This thread

vtrally

Jun 12, 2019
Hey all, I just wanted to say thanks to everyone who has contributed to this thread.

I picked up a US version XZ2 Compact and like many here I was unable to receive text messages. A few hours of messing around and I finally found this thread.

Deleting then re-adding HD Voice from the Verizon website fixed my issue. Would never had figured that out without the help of the forum.

firefurby

Jun 16, 2008
I've tried removing the HD Voice from my account, but no luck. I can't get anything to work. I also tried putting it in a Pixel 2 and then switching it over, but the APN is different and still no signal at all. Anybody have any ideas what else I could try?

tjdean01

Jan 11, 2020
I've had the single SIM version of the Sony XZ2 Compact H8314 for several months and have been unsuccessful in getting it to connect, even after trying all the tricks listed in this thread.

Finally, I did as tasaroth suggested above and went to Verizon's IMEI check website for prepaid phones and learned "The phone associated with the Device ID you entered is not compatible with the Verizon Wireless network." (IMEI was not previously available until I let the phone do dozens of updates to the Sony/Android software but now I can view it). If there is indeed a "global" version (H8314 SI 1313-1117) and "best buy" version (H8314 SI 1313-7910) then it could be possible I have the global one that is "incompatible." However, the phone gives me no further info as to its full model number.

Is there a way to check which exact version I have? Do I switch to AT&T or T-Mobile to get this to work? Will it even work on those networks? There are literally no alternatives for small Android phones made within the past three years. I have the serial number BH901314BZ but that's no help.

Last edited:
Reactions: solid_funk

nneige

Jan 10, 2021
I've had the single SIM version of the Sony XZ2 Compact H8314 for several months and have been unsuccessful in getting it to connect, even after trying all the tricks listed in this thread.

Finally, I did as tasaroth suggested above and went to Verizon's IMEI check website for prepaid phones and learned "The phone associated with the Device ID you entered is not compatible with the Verizon Wireless network." (IMEI was not previously available until I let the phone do dozens of updates to the Sony/Android software but now I can view it). If there is indeed a "global" version (H8314 SI 1313-1117) and "best buy" version (H8314 SI 1313-7910) then it could be possible I have the global one that is "incompatible." However, the phone gives me no further info as to its full model number.

Is there a way to check which exact version I have? Do I switch to AT&T or T-Mobile to get this to work? Will it even work on those networks? There are literally no alternatives for small Android phones made within the past three years. I have the serial number BH901314BZ but that's no help.

Coincidently I just ran across your post after tearing out my hair over the same issue. Just spent 3 hours at a Verizon store while they tried in vain to get my H8314 activated. I now suspect I have the global version but, like you, can't figure out how to confirm this. I share your dismay about Android phones getting larger and larger - that's why I bought the xz2c. Too bad cause it is really a nice phone.

I would caution you about AT&T. I originally had the phone activated on their network. The problem is that it will not make VoLTE calls. Anytime you make a voice call it will shift to a 3G band (HSPA or UMTS). Calls on these bands have been highly unreliable - sometimes dialing with no ringback signal but connecting and sometimes not dialing at all. Furthermore, AT&T like other carriers in the US will soon be dropping their 3G non-LTE bands making it completely impossible to make voice calls unless they decide to provision the xz2c for VoLTE - something they are unlikely to do. The only solution may be to flash a compatible kernel or continue to shop around.

Eric82930

Apr 25, 2021
I finally had to retire my 2013 motox and got a deal on a used xz2c. It was on pie when I got it and must have been a US version because I just put my Sim in it and it worked great on verizon. I wanted to try downgrade to oreo without unlocking I thought what could go wrong? Turns out None of the global firmware on xperifirm would show any signal bars or service and the only US version they had wouldn't boot "corupt". I found an old us oreo firmware on
gemflash and It would boot but restart after the logo. Then I ran the Sony software repair option from companion and it somehow upgraded it to the latest us version 10 and I'm working again! The 2 points I want to make is the firmware must be a US version and they are hard to find a working download. And software repair option will only fix the last booted firmware and auto upgrade to the latest compatible version.
I want to root to run viper4android but worried about the consequences of messing up the only modern compact phone on Verizon.

Eric82930

Apr 25, 2021
Still no down side to using this phone on Verizon. CDMA must not be needed at all in wy,ut,id where I've been. Even places my old phone worked only on 1x or 3g this phone seems to stay on lte and works fine. I'm on 52.1.a.3.137. Finally unlocked/rooted with twrp/magisk and got viper4android rocking. No regrets. None.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Yup! Having it working on my XZ2 Compact. Didn't originally want to connect, so I flashed the OEM+OEM_Other.sin files from the US version and now I have Verizon working without a hitch. VoLTE is enabled for Verizon by default since it can only connect over LTE to begin with, but no WiFi calling. That being said and it being a dual SIM device, my secondary T-Mobile SIM has access to neither VoLTE or WiFi Calling. So I have calling set up for Verizon and Data over T-Mobile. You're able to do dual LTE standby on this device.
    Gotcha. I just tried both ways and neither worked for me :(

Run down of my experience so far:
    1. Flash the US firmware 51.1.A.3.159 to my H8314 using newflasher. Goes fine.
    2. Start up phone with my sim that was previously active on my Nexus 5x. Almost everything works (Data, VoLTE, sending texts), except receiving text messages does not.
    3. Call Verizon, have them re-provision texting and reboot, no dice. Open level 2 support ticket.
    4. Go to Verizon store and get a new sim. No dice. Also try re-provisioning texting in the store again, no dice.
    4. Hours later get a call from someone at verizon that they've fixed it, just need to reboot my phone again, so I do, but no dice.
    5. Call Verizon again the next day, have them do the VoLTE disable/re-enable, no dice. Apparently my support ticket is now closed.
    6. Also try resetting the phone, even though it was already brand new, no dice.

Going back to my Nexus 5x for now, I need texting to work. I'll keep an eye on this thread, hopefully some new developments happen soon.

I don't know if I'm sending you on a wild good chase, but have you tried turning HD Voice on and off yourself?

-Go to myVerizon.com on a computer (I couldn't find it on the site on my phone) and log in

-Search for HD Voice, click the big red icon that looks like three folders, under related support click "Add the HD Voice feature to your line in my Verizon"

-Click manage your products, and under your number find HD coice and there should be an option to Remove from Account.

I did this with the sim in my phone and turned on. Within 30 seconds all the texts I had been trying to get all afternoon started coming in. I then turned the phone off and reenabled hd voice on my account, powered the phone on, and I've been rocking and rolling ever since.
    Update, unfortunately I have not been able to get my Sony Xperia xz2 compact to work on Verizon. It could not make or receive a call. After speaking to 2 different Verizon techs, the phone is missing CDMA and WCDMA is not working with Verizon. The phone could receive data and could send texts, but the phone didn't know it sent the txt.

So as of right now the Sony Xperia XZ2 Compact dose not work on Verizon network. Would like to find out that I'm wrong and their is a way to make the phone work on Verizon. Love the phone size and capability.

I have the xz2c working in Verizon. You don't need CDMA anymore. Look at post 32 in this thread (right above yours).
    As I stated earlier in this thread, you simply need to flash the OEM and OEM_Other.sin files from the US Single SIM model H8314 onto your Dual SIM H8324 device and Verizon will immediately connect without a problem. I'm currently running Verizon and T-Mobile side by side on mine.

Verizon runs VoLTE natively on this device without a need to toggle anything, but does not have WiFi Calling. At this point in time, it is not certified for use with VoLTE or WiFi Calling on T-Mobile either.