Anyone with dust under the screen?

Search This thread

uansari1

Jul 27, 2008
Karachi
Seems like a few people on Android Forums are having this issue. Anyone else noticing dust under their screens, especially after keeping the phone in your pocket for a while? Evidently, for those that have the issue, it's noticeable under bright light.

My phone should be in my hands tomorrow or Friday, but obviously I won't stand for dust under the screen. That's something I'd expect with a Razr (which mine suffered from back in the day)... my G1 never had this problem.

zulm

Aug 7, 2008
HTC SVP c500 (on orange UK) aka HTC Typhoon had the infamous dust problem too.

smeat

Jul 16, 2009
Minneapolis
I have quite a few specs of dust under the glass on the lower left of my screen. May gave to contact Google to see what the replacement policy is.

Grrrr

dills84

Jan 2, 2008
I also have dust under my screen. I called HTC yesterday and they told me that i can exchange it for a new one within the 14 days, but I'll lose my engraving (kinda lame.)

hopefully the next one doesnt have the same problem. Would be nice if there was a way to clean it.

uansari1

Jul 27, 2008
Karachi
:eek: god I hope this doesnt become a wide spread issue!!! I have no dust under my screen thus far... and I hope it stays that way.

You're better off finding out if it's an issue as early as possible. As soon as I get my phone, I'll be keeping it in my pocket when not in use (though that may be a very limited time). If it gets dust, it's going back.

JoshHart

Mar 15, 2006
California
www.twitter.com
I keep the phone in it's little case it comes with inside my pocket, takes an extra second to get out but it's only temporary until some companies come out with some sweet cases.

uansari1

Jul 27, 2008
Karachi
I keep the phone in it's little case it comes with inside my pocket, takes an extra second to get out but it's only temporary until some companies come out with some sweet cases.

But that won't tell you if the seal around your screen (or wherever the dust is entering from) is defective or not. That's why I suggested "trying" to get dust in early, by keeping it in your pocket at times. If it doesn't get dust, then you're fine.

carnegie0107

Jul 26, 2009
Springytown
I don't want to test this out... as soon as my full-body screen protector gets here, it's going on the phone and staying there. No dust for my phone!

dills84

Jan 2, 2008
i just realized that one corner of my screen makes a clicking sound when i apply pressure to it (bottom right corner). Upon closer inspection i realized the clicking was the screen adhesive not sticking down. I can see the corner of the screen moving verrry slightly under pressure (probably .005" worth of movement) This is also the corner most of the dust is accumulating. It looks like the adhesive they use to hold the glass down is at fault. Hopefully this isnt widespread.

Calling HTC now to demand my exchange! If you have dust under your screen try pushing on the corners.

uansari1

Jul 27, 2008
Karachi
I don't want to test this out... as soon as my full-body screen protector gets here, it's going on the phone and staying there. No dust for my phone!

See below. A full body skin won't help if this is the problem.

i just realized that one corner of my screen makes a clicking sound when i apply pressure to it (bottom right corner). Upon closer inspection i realized the clicking was the screen adhesive not sticking down. I can see the corner of the screen moving verrry slightly under pressure (probably .005" worth of movement) This is also the corner most of the dust is accumulating. It looks like the adhesive they use to hold the glass down is at fault. Hopefully this isnt widespread.

Calling HTC now to demand my exchange! If you have dust under your screen try pushing on the corners.

This is exactly why I think everyone should take advantage of the 14 days to make sure this isn't an issue.

dills84

Jan 2, 2008
See below. A full body skin won't help if this is the problem.

This is exactly why I think everyone should take advantage of the 14 days to make sure this isn't an issue.

Just got off the phone with an HTC rep. They set up a "swap" so I'll get my new phone before I have to ship my old one back. Unfortunatly I'll be losing my engraving... oh well.

The rep told me this problem is "known" and they are taking corrective actions.

scrappyabs2

Feb 24, 2009
My phone is being delivered tomorrow. I'm wondering if I should refuse the package and wait until HTC's 'corrective actions' have been applied before I reorder.

Last edited:

uansari1

Jul 27, 2008
Karachi
Just got off the phone with an HTC rep. They set up a "swap" so I'll get my new phone before I have to ship my old one back. Unfortunatly I'll be losing my engraving... oh well.

The rep told me this problem is "known" and they are taking corrective actions.

It's known... of course. Yeah, the engraving is a small price to pay, especially considering you can get it engraved on your own if you want, albeit for a few bucks.

jamesyb0i

Oct 17, 2009
So the first thing to do when you get the phone is to press down on the edges and superglue the **** out of it XD

fosormic

Dec 22, 2005
So the first thing to do when you get the phone is to press down on the edges and superglue the **** out of it XD

LOL That would be an interesting customization...

I'm getting mine tomorrow and from what I read, it will be in my pocket all the time and see if it happens before the 14 days.

Thanks for raising awareness of the issue to us all.

awesomeindeed

Apr 28, 2008
Chicago Suburbs
This has been a pretty rampant issue on many of HTC's latest smartphones. My N1 will hopefully arrive sometime this year, they're taking their time shipping it out, but if this is the case, it's going back.

qtkc

Jun 25, 2009
Seems like a few people on Android Forums are having this issue. Anyone else noticing dust under their screens, especially after keeping the phone in your pocket for a while? Evidently, for those that have the issue, it's noticeable under bright light.

My phone should be in my hands tomorrow or Friday, but obviously I won't stand for dust under the screen. That's something I'd expect with a Razr (which mine suffered from back in the day)... my G1 never had this problem.

Well,I haven't got one,but I’d like to make it clear if the problem is seriously terrible.:eek:
Anyway,it's not easy to get a Nexus One in my country---China.:)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I am in the same situation, I want to order one but i'm afraid it will have this issue and dust annoys me so much! :mad: