Anyone with dust under the screen?

Search This thread

dhendrix11

Aug 19, 2009
Nice work! My only question is what do you recommend using, specifically, to take the lower back part off, and can you use one of these pics and "draw in" where to insert the tool and in what order to best get that piece off?

My screen isn't suffering the dust issue... but I figure this may come in handy if we're able to get our hands on replacement lower back parts. Many of us are getting a discoloration where it contacts the desktop dock.

I used that white plastic tool that you can see in the first picture. It's something we use at work to take some electronics devices apart, although it wasn't ideal for this. To do it again, I'd probably get one of those ipod opening tools like in the ifixit teardown guide.

I didn't really have a strategy to getting the piece off, other than I started in the middle, since it had the most give, and worked out from there. I don't know if that was the best way to do it or not. Looking at the phone from the back, the right side was a lot harder to get loose than the left. Once you can get any separation between the pieces along the edge of the phone, rather than the back, that's when you'll get it apart. Look at the ifixit guide to see where the locking tabs are molded in and use that as a guide to know where you'll have to separate it.

Will be nice once replacement parts are available...

crazy talk

Jun 17, 2009
did you find the issue with the screen peeling up? would be nice to have pictures of what's going on. and an actual fix

attn1

Inactive Recognized Developer
Mar 18, 2010
This is what my N1 looks like right now... And I'm not very happy with it.

dust.jpg

None of the dust is under the screen protector. and i wiped it down before i took this pic.

I'm gonna have to live with it until I can afford to not have a phone for a couple of weeks while they repair it. Unfortunately I do not have a credit card to let them charge for a swap. I was so pumped about the N1 and now I'm just pissed. :mad:

You're going to have to remove that screen protector and clean that glass really well before I believe that's not the screen protector. That looks just like a POS InvisibleShield I ripped off of mine for looking just like that.

attn1

Inactive Recognized Developer
Mar 18, 2010
If you can get the bottom rear piece off (a real PITA), taking the rest of the phone apart isn't too bad. So if you've rooted but just can't stand the dust, you can clean it yourself.

Remember to use a plastic tool and not a screwdriver to remove the bottom piece. Mine ended up with a couple minor edge nicks, but I'd say 90-95% like new. If you're going to take this piece off, keep reminding yourself that patience is key.

P3310071.JPG

Before picture of the dust

P3310073.JPG

Phone taken apart. If you're going to do this, I don't recommend actually taking the display all the way out. Leave it taped down near the track ball and just tilt the display up and use compressed air to clear the dust.

P4010089.JPG

After: Not as good as assembly in a clean room, but pretty darn good, and a heck of a lot better than before.

P4010099.JPG

Time to put it back together..... And it works! It even makes phone calls, and checks email!

P4010094.JPG

All in all, taking the bottom piece off sucked. Otherwise, the most work was getting the display clean enough that I was satisfied to put it back together. I am very happy how it turned out. Hopefully it's not a recurring problem. Tried doing the heat trick on the lower left corner of the display and I really can't tell if its better or not.

Let me know if you have questions.

So it is as I suspected, the dust is not under the screen as much as over it and under the digitizer. If I have to go through that, I'd be tempted to see if I could apply a little RTV to make a seal wherever dust could work it's way in again. I've also wondered if the dust is actually in the phones when they ship, even if it's not yet between the display screen and the digitizer. Nice job, and it's a clean, honest solution for those who have rooted and run into this issue.

dhendrix11

Aug 19, 2009
So it is as I suspected, the dust is not under the screen as much as over it and under the digitizer. If I have to go through that, I'd be tempted to see if I could apply a little RTV to make a seal wherever dust could work it's way in again. I've also wondered if the dust is actually in the phones when they ship, even if it's not yet between the display screen and the digitizer. Nice job, and it's a clean, honest solution for those who have rooted and run into this issue.

Yeah the dust is definitely between the actual screen and the touchpanel. You could easily tell in my phone that the dust wasn't all on the same depth plane. Some was on the back surface of the touchpanel and some was on the top surface of the screen.

I am really leaning towards thinking that the dust was already in the phone. Of course, I'll keep an eye on it over the coming days/weeks to see if I get any new dust. But, in my case, there definitely wasn't any dust when I bought the phone, and I didn't notice it for at least the first 6-8 weeks of ownership. However, as you can see from my pictures, there's absolutely no way to miss it once it's there. Another thing that I thought was odd is that once the dust was there, the phone never seemed to accumulate any more, and what was there never moved from within the screen. You get pretty familiar with the pattern when looking at the phone every day.

danshur

May 18, 2009
My phone is 10 days old, I discovered 1 particle of dust last week, by the end of the week my screen accumulated a good amount of dust at the bottom left corner, yes it makes the clicking sound too. I kept the phone in the case it came with all the time. I think what happens is that when you slide it out of the case it creates some suction inside the case and with the broken seal on the glass the dust particles are sucked up under there. So annoying. I called HTC today and they are going to send me a replacement. I got 3 options, a repair with $28 temp charge on credit card, a replacement with $529 temp charge on the card or full refund. I went with the replacement option, support girl said it will be a new device not a refurbish. Full refund sounded good too but they have to recieve my phone first and I don't want to go back to my old G1 lol. She said after the refund is issued I could go and order another one through Google. Hmm I wish that Evo 4g was available for T-Mobile, wouldn't mind spending money on that. Still love the N1, just the dust problem I cant tolerate, every day more dust gets in there oh yea the particles are bigger too. Also wish the screen could be brighter but its always cloudy or rainy here in Seattle, so not that big of a deal, seems that only the blue sky reflecting on the screen makes it hard to see :). I appreciate this post, thanks.

Got a replacement phone yesterday and noticed a couple of tiny scratches on the screen, damit. I think I will call HTC again and this time just do a return, I want the phone in perfect condition, they told me it will be new not refurb..

Accused187

Oct 30, 2009
Colorado Springs, Colorado
I just bought my N1, and it was delivered today. I noticed that the corners do click when you apply pressure to them, so I heated them up with a hair dryer and pinched the screen pretty tight, so hopefully that prevents dust from getting in the phone.

Also, I took an LED flashlight to the screen to check if there was dust underneath the screen already, and I did notice one piece of dust underneath it in the lower left corner which was clicking (And I kept wiping the screen to make sure it was definitely underneath it). The only way I could even see it was to flash the LED on the screen, otherwise it's invisible to me. I won't be returning this at all unless I start getting a bunch of dust which I can see during regular use.

mafaesto

May 25, 2008

I have to say I do honestly think mine had the something inside it already, as it looks like plastic shedding, and not dust. Also, the only "clicking" I here is the battery cover and bottom part of the phone moving. I think a better explanation of this clicking is needed, as I purchased mine on the 28th of February I really need to understand this better because I am in desperate wanting of a rooted phone. I am going nuts over the amount of bugs in the stock non-rooted OS. I really want to stay stock but it's really bugging me as to how long it seems to be taking for what should just be patches and not full blown updates.

Last edited:

elite_is3

Aug 30, 2006
i think you would be LUCKY as hell to never develop dust in the phone. I had my first one for 3-4 days before i put it under a light to check on it. And it had some TINY particles in the screen (not the grid). So i get a replacement that appeared new, but low and behold, i look in it immediately....HAD DUST, i thought it was a dead pixel at first. At this point im suspicious that they are just a design issue and i cant see how they would get dust inside so easily.

Pissed i didnt know about this before hand.

jp_macaroni

Feb 6, 2010
wow that sucks and I feel bad for you guys..

but Im lucky to say since I bought the phone on launch day...I have not gotten any dust under the screen. Not one nano speck of dust. **knock on wood**

petard

Feb 12, 2006
I received my AT&T Nexus One March 29 and yesterday, April 4, I found a small speck of dust under the screen. What a disappointment. I already unlocked the bootloader, too! The whole reason I got rid of my Milestone was because it also got a speck of dust under the screen.
Do all capacitive screens do this?

elite_is3

Aug 30, 2006
I received my AT&T Nexus One March 29 and yesterday, April 4, I found a small speck of dust under the screen. What a disappointment. I already unlocked the bootloader, too! The whole reason I got rid of my Milestone was because it also got a speck of dust under the screen.
Do all capacitive screens do this?

i had a milestone prior to this one also, but had no dust in it for the 3+ weeks i owned it. I would say its possible that something in production can cause dust BUT theres a clear difference when a phone like the NEXUS is prone to it. I may ask for a refund...depending on how i feel about it now. Seems unfair to risk 530 bucks on this anymore...

Old MuckenMire

Feb 9, 2010
Almost any device is going to have issues with dust at some point, in some fashion. Need proof?

Check out the brand spanking new iPad

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=890947&highlight=dust

M y Nexus does not yet have any but I'm also careful to not look TOO closely for something that is almost guaranteed to be there. If not yet, eventually.

My advice is to quit looking for dust and let it find you. If you notice dust during NORMAL use then send it back. However, if you have to do things to see it, like use a flashlight, then it's your own problem and you will drive yourself crazy.

Last edited:

assafice

Mar 13, 2010
Almost any device is going to have issues with dust at some point, in some fashion. Need proof?

Check out the brand spanking new iPad

M y Nexus does not yet have any but I'm also careful to not look TOO closely for something that is almost guaranteed to be there. If not yet, eventually.

My advice is to quit looking for dust and let it find you. If you notice dust during NORMAL use then send it back. However, if you have to do things to see it, like use a flashlight, then it's your own problem and you will drive yourself crazy.

Thanks, this comment helped me with my dilemma(an unnoticeable dust..)

SANTilt

Dec 28, 2007
San Diego
I sent mine in for dust last week, and then again this week, since they didn't fix it the first time. This week they sent me a "new" phone. My phone was rooted both times it went in.

I think they just replaced the case, and kept the guts of my phone though, as the "new" phone remembered my WiFi access points - the phone was otherwise factory stock.

uansari1

Jul 27, 2008
Karachi
I sent mine in for dust last week, and then again this week, since they didn't fix it the first time. This week they sent me a "new" phone. My phone was rooted both times it went in.

I think they just replaced the case, and kept the guts of my phone though, as the "new" phone remembered my WiFi access points - the phone was otherwise factory stock.

If you had enabled the option to backup your settings to Google, that would explain why your new phone remembered the access points.

r0adki111

Dec 30, 2009
www.tacochicsalsa.com
Sent mine in on saturday. Got it back today. Its wednesday. Dust gone. Screen moves even more than it did before i sent it off. I know its the same phone cuz it has my phantom sknz on it. They actually attempted tp put the screen protector back on it but a 2 yr old would have done better. They also relocked my bootloader. The plus... they sent it back in a really nice padded box i will be using to return it in when i get even more dust under the screen than before. But i cant ***** i guess since they did attempt to warranty fix it with an unlocked bootloader. Thx htc.

danshur

May 18, 2009
Got my refund for the nexus one I returned to HTC, it was unlocked and rooted btw. HTC customer service is very good. I already ordered a new one.
Here is what my dust issue looked like at the time I sent it in, this is about 20 days after teh purchase. I did contact HTC support within 14 days, thats why I was able to get a refund. The dust you see in the picture is under the glass, its hard to tell from the picture but if you looked at it in real life you can tell for sure.

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/V-8S5JoighOzdbdti0ByzA?feat=directlink
010.JPG

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I am in the same situation, I want to order one but i'm afraid it will have this issue and dust annoys me so much! :mad: