Anyone with dust under the screen?

Search This thread

danshur

May 18, 2009
Got my refund for the nexus one I returned to HTC, it was unlocked and rooted btw. HTC customer service is very good. I already ordered a new one.
Here is what my dust issue looked like at the time I sent it in, this is about 20 days after teh purchase. I did contact HTC support within 14 days, thats why I was able to get a refund. The dust you see in the picture is under the glass, its hard to tell from the picture but if you looked at it in real life you can tell for sure.

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/V-8S5JoighOzdbdti0ByzA?feat=directlink
010.JPG

I ordered a new one again when it showed up I put it on the charger overnight. In the morning I pressed the power button and nothing its DOA.

ChillRays

Apr 16, 2010
Tampa
So what do you guys recommend I do to prevent something like this from happening? (future n1 owner here looking for tips)

danshur

May 18, 2009
Im going to get a screen protector and a rubber case from tmobile store. As soon as I get a new one I will put it under a light for a couple of hours while its charging to warm up the screen, then press it down a little to make sure I get a good seal then put the screen protector and case on it, that might do it I think.

futango

Oct 27, 2008
Portland, Or
New owner of a N1. Traded my iphone 3gs for it. The original owner said they had it for 4 months only. I just noticed this morning there is dust under the screen. Would it be hard for me to get a replacement since I wasnt the original purchaser?

uansari1

Jul 27, 2008
Karachi
I got my phone replaced once within a few days of getting the original handset on January 8. The replacement has been perfect. No dust, no clicking, etc. I wouldn't worry too much about purchasing this phone... plus HTC's service is great if you do happen to have a problem.

True2TheGame

Jun 20, 2007
Just found some dust on my replacement device, called HTC and they're shipping me a new one right away, great customer service.

darx

Feb 20, 2010
Anyone successfully fix the dust themselves? I think I could take apart my phone and put it back together pretty easily... I really don't want to send it to HTC.

Is there a way I can send it in without getting a charge on my bank account?

Daswolven

Oct 1, 2009
Richmond Hill
Thought I was having the same issue with my screen. Sent it back to HTC to see what they could do. turns out it wasn't dust under my screen, it was cocaine. I asked them to please not do anything to the phone, just carefully package it up and send it back. I have a rock and a straw ready and am awaiting the FedEx guy.....

kaiser_tytnii

Nov 15, 2007
Toronto
anyone who chose (or forced) the repair option and the issue has gone away?
we are not as lucky in Canada to choose to swap (also i personally do not want swapping for a used refurbished phone)

RogerPodacter

Apr 12, 2010
Los Angeles, CA

futango

Oct 27, 2008
Portland, Or
Just got off the phone with HTC and they are sending me a replacement. What are the chances that they will look at the bootloader to see if its unlocked? I'm hoping im on of the lucky ones where they dont bother and good to go with no hassle.

mutantblack

Sep 22, 2006
Tornados City
Thought I was having the same issue with my screen. Sent it back to HTC to see what they could do. turns out it wasn't dust under my screen, it was cocaine. I asked them to please not do anything to the phone, just carefully package it up and send it back. I have a rock and a straw ready and am awaiting the FedEx guy.....

bwahahhaha. now that's funny.

zer0day

Oct 29, 2007
I recieved my N1 from Google recently. After reading this thread, I checked my screen and there is one piece of dust under the screen, barely noticable. It's not enough to make me send it back for an exchange but it's disappointing that after all this time, the problems are still there. My screen isn't loose and doesn't make noises when I press it which is a relief.

staulkor

Jan 12, 2007
Phoenix, AZ, USA
Monday night I called HTC support and told them I had dust under the screen and wanted a refurb unit. The guy said "ok"...no questions asked. He took my information (imei, name, address, credit info, etc) and told me how it works. They overnight you a refurb phone that requires a signature. The send ONLY the phone, meaning no battery, sd card, sim, or back cover. You send ONLY the phone back in the box they shipped it to you in. They email a shipping label to you and it expires in 10 days. If they dont receive the defective phone in 10 days, they charge you $530. All is fair and I went ahead with it.

Called Monday. Phone shipped Tuesday. Arrived Wednesday morning at 11:35am. Im going to ship the old phone back tomorrow and once they receive it, they will verify it is defective and hopefully decide to warranty it (it is unlocked). I dont see why they wont because there is no way in hell software can cause a dust explosion under the screen (look at my pictures, its one of the worst pics of dust I have seen to date).

Anyways, just wanted to put this out there so others with the issue know how the process works.

danshur

May 18, 2009
Got my replacement, one small lint looking thing at the top of the screen, not bad enough to worry about thou, no other dust issues. HTC support is definitely better than their quality control.

ChillRays

Apr 16, 2010
Tampa
Stupid question. Does the dust under the screen problem happen while they are making the phone or after you get it and have it in your pocket after awhile? So does a good screen protector stop this from happening?

Sistum Id

Jan 2, 2009
Phoenix
I just discovered dust under my left corner few days ago. I called HTC and was going thru the process of doing a swap and just before he finialized it asked me if the bootloader was unlocked. I said yes and he said one moment and put me on hold. Minute later he said HTC "may" charge me 300 dollars for a replacement motherboard if they decide to. I said how the hell is dust under a screen the fault of unlocking the bootloader? This is a manufacture failure on an epic level and its widespread among N1 owners. He said they """might""" charge for it and added that if I did a repair instead, any additional repair prices will be discussed with me instead of being slammed with 300 dollars voided warranty.

It still throws me off as to why he asked me if it was unlocked. Did anybody else get asked this? I'm thinking of canceling my repair and calling HTC later and see what happens.

I really don't want to wait 5-10 business days while having to use my MOTO RAZR from 2006. My N1 is what gets me though the day at work. What else I'm I suppose to do at work from 3pm to 11pm...? Work? Yeah right!

danshur

May 18, 2009
I just discovered dust under my left corner few days ago. I called HTC and was going thru the process of doing a swap and just before he finialized it asked me if the bootloader was unlocked. I said yes and he said one moment and put me on hold. Minute later he said HTC "may" charge me 300 dollars for a replacement motherboard if they decide to. I said how the hell is dust under a screen the fault of unlocking the bootloader? This is a manufacture failure on an epic level and its widespread among N1 owners. He said they """might""" charge for it and added that if I did a repair instead, any additional repair prices will be discussed with me instead of being slammed with 300 dollars voided warranty.

It still throws me off as to why he asked me if it was unlocked. Did anybody else get asked this? I'm thinking of canceling my repair and calling HTC later and see what happens.

I really don't want to wait 5-10 business days while having to use my MOTO RAZR from 2006. My N1 is what gets me though the day at work. What else I'm I suppose to do at work from 3pm to 11pm...? Work? Yeah right!

They didnt ask me and I didnt tell. BTW my original phone didnt come with dust under screen, it started accumulating after day 1.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I am in the same situation, I want to order one but i'm afraid it will have this issue and dust annoys me so much! :mad: